PDA

View Full Version : Jafu's Video Exploits

Jafu
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Just thought I'd post a link to a video i shot with tank mounted Dv camera.
Yes it has been posted elsewhere, but I value all opinions.

Link http://media.putfile.com/St-Andrews---Kinglake

lady-rider
07-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Just thought I'd post a link to a video i shot with tank mounted Dv camera.
Yes it has been posted elsewhere, but I value all opinions.

Link http://media.putfile.com/St-Andrews---Kinglake

i enjoyed watching that
my reasoning is
i was able to see the scenery
you were doing a good speed
to be able to see the road surfaces ect
not just hooning past missing everything

glitch
07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Good stuff. Which camera are you using?

iffracem
07-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Good stuff!

Now that is how I like to ride, having fun, plenty in reserve, smooth lines, time to enjoy the ride an the scenery 8)

Now a question, on "riding lines", using Jafu's excellently clear video as a reference.

Notice how he stays (in most cases) to the "outside" of the corner on entry, ie going into a left hand bend, Snafu takes up station near the centre dividing line (except if there's a vehicle coming) he maintains that position thru the corner until at or past the "apex", then crosses thru the bend and ends up on the "inside", in this case towards the verge.

IMHO this is spot on, as it gives you two important advantages over any other "line"

1. maximises vision (sight lines) thru the corner
2. maximises your "space" ie the room around you to maneouvre should the unforeseen happen.

Ending up on the inside of the curve gives you maximum room to straighten up and ride thru a bunch of gravel etc. Being on the "outside" at that time means any saving maneouvre puts you either on the wrong side of the road, or straight into the verge.

Another good example in the Video was that Jafu rarely stayed in the centre of the lane, even tho that road did appear to be quite clean.

Of course this is a plan for the perect situation, ie no cars, no puddles, none of farawaymans red giraffes jumping out at you.
But in all cases, IMHO, you should aim to maximise sight, and maximise your room to move.

Probably just telling you all things you already know, but heh, I'm good at that :roll:

Now another thing I saw occasionally on Jafu's video was something I find myself doing all the time. On right hand bends only, I tend NOT to start as wide as I should, or, after a mental kick up the rear, I start wide but come into the centre too early.
End result has never been serious, as I still have room to move, and being on the left side of the road already means you still have good vision ahead. It does sometimes mean I take "two bites" at the corner, not one smooth lean like when I go left.

Anyone else notice that? Or is it just my (natural) aversion to the dirty, gravelly, rough verge and the nasty trees and rocks thet lurk there.

JJ

glitch
07-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Good stuff!
Now a question, on "riding lines", using Jafu's excellently clear video as a reference.

Notice how he stays (in most cases) to the "outside" of the corner on entry, ie going into a left hand bend, Snafu takes up station near the centre dividing line (except if there's a vehicle coming) he maintains that position thru the corner until at or past the "apex", then crosses thru the bend and ends up on the "inside", in this case towards the verge.

I'll stay out of it, otherwise I'll get stoned. :lol:

With you all the way on that and yup, despite all the k's done, the rights sometimes catch me out, mainly when the surrounding scenery is just too tempting. :)
In the end it's just a matter of making THE LINE a habit....which has saved my arse a few times along the way.
It's one of the few things I'm supposedly anal about :lol: :lol:

iffracem
07-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Seems that more people have problems with right handers...

is it cos there are cars coming the other way?

is it cos that's where the throttle is found?

is it cos of the magnetic variation of the earths rotation around the sun, and it's own axis,

have I made enough silly questions yet???

glitch
07-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Seems that more people have problems with right handers...

is it cos there are cars coming the other way?

is it cos that's where the throttle is found?

is it cos of the magnetic variation of the earths rotation around the sun, and it's own axis,

have I made enough silly questions yet???

Think you were right with that "sailing closer to the edge of the road" bit, just natural to try and stay away a bit....that magnetic variation of the sun's throttle-axis is definitely another one .... :shock: :shock:

iffracem
07-09-2006, 07:21 PM
years and years ago, in a previous life as a mechanic in the army, we had issues with the mercedes unimog trucks tending to piss a lot of oil out of the engine, past the rear main and its seal. (the unit I was with was first to receive the beasts in active service, had lots of issues with them)

We investigated, found no appreciable wear on the crank that would stop the seal "sealing", nor were the seals "stretched' or damaged. Even brand new seals on a very low mileage vehicle were losing buckets of oil. Nope, we weren't putting the buggers in backwards.

Being a transport unit, with blokes on motorbikes zipping around the convoys on control tasks, horrible adjustments to various anatomical parts was on the cards if these riders had to dodge much more oil. Fair enough!!

We approached Mercedes OZ gum'nt contracts manager, who was suitably perturbed, he approach Mercedes in Germany... they answered...

According to Mercedes official response, the HOLE IN THE OZONE LAYER had caused premature damage to the seals, shortening their useful life, both in service and storage. As it was an "act of nature" , not covered by the warranty.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah right!

We threatened global publishing of that excuse in any rag that could stop laughing long enough.
They replaced teh seals... all of em, including the ones in stock.

So I reckon earth orbit/axis is a fair comment :P

glitch
07-09-2006, 07:36 PM
years and years ago, in a previous life as a mechanic in the army, we had issues with the mercedes unimog trucks tending to piss a lot of oil out of the engine, past the rear main and its seal. According to Mercedes official response, the HOLE IN THE OZONE LAYER had caused premature damage to the seals, shortening their useful life, both in service and storage. As it was an "act of nature" , not covered by the warranty.

So I reckon earth orbit/axis is a fair comment :P

Too right !! jeez, is that for real/
They must've had an allmighty pissup the night before they wrote that reply :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jafu
07-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Lady Rider. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pete, the Camera used is a Panasonic NV-GS27, records to 1 hour tapes/cassettes

My cornering skills still need a lot of improvement.
I hope to do more videos, before I go to Tassie in Feb.
They tell me there are good roads waiting to be ridden

iffracem
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Don't be harsh Jafu.. your cornering is smoother and a lot better than a fair few riders I know, and they're mostly the self proclaimed super stars type

keep the videos coming 8)

Yes Glitch, it's true, not so much an after drunken night comment, but an extreme example of how these people talk to mere mortals. I've often got that sort of "off the cuff" crap from BMW and Mercedes higher level techs. sort of "no way, we don't make mistakes, tell em anything to get rid of them" response.

the more they charge, the less they provide has been a truism for my mechanical career. also true of Pooters at times

nev
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
so that's what the stuff on the side of that road looks like. :D

meat train
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
I had to hang up side down, and watch it in the mirror, to bettor understand how to select the correct line thru, the apex of the turn radius, golly seems right to me, just on the wrong side of the road, HA HA, different hemispheres , for different folks.
Nice scenery, used to have alot of Eucy lined roads round here,progress, took away the big and little , eucalypyus forests, i wandered thru in my youth.
Good to see you still have plenty.

MT

Clancy
13-09-2006, 03:23 PM
There's an old saying that you can never learn too much. Thanks for posting it. I always thought I wasn't too bad on lines through corners. Now I know I'm not good enough by quite a bit.

STOOKIE
14-09-2006, 05:23 PM
great work Jafu, Be nice if I cant get as smoove as that when I gain control of the VFR. i love that road but i just hate the forest section at the end as if its sunny its like a strobe effect on my eyes ands it bloody annoying.

Got any more ?

loz
14-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Strobe effect -> yellow sunnies.

Sorts it out.

You look like a bit of a tool, but hey.