PDA

View Full Version : A day in Bunyip National Park - The Rescue mission

tim
25-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I've been looking forward to hitting the dirt on the new bike. I've done a few dirt roads around the Dandenongs and up at Toolangi but this would be less than 200k's total.. Learnt lots today, mainly where not to go :oops: :oops: :oops:

Took every spare/tool I could think off, unfortunately I forgot the crane.. :)

Left home around 9am, Decided I would head over the Dandenongs via Mountain Hwy, turned left then right and headed down to kallista. From there I went through Monbulk, Emerald, Cockatoo and then Gembrook only to find the servo is not open on Sundays. Hmmmm..... Back to Cockatoo no fuel there so I went back to Emerald and filled up there and headed back to gembrook.

I then headed in to Bunyip State Park and followed the signs to the bike unloading area to see what facilities they had there (a single toilet and car park was it). One sign that had been shot to pieces and was lying flat on it's face.. Turned around and headed up ash landing road.

got to the top of the hill and there were tracks left and right.. Several other riders were on the left side so I went for a look.. Bad move, dropped over the ridge and I was a passenger for the next 500 meters as the bike slide down the hill.

Eventually the inevitable happened and I fell off, trapping my right leg under the bike.. Took about 10 mins but I finally got free. During this time the rain gods decided it was time to start hailing. Managed to get the bike turned around and attempted to get back up the hill. I made it about 10 feet and then stopped as I was mostly spinning the back wheel. The bike then slid backwards the 10 feet and toppled over again. This time I managed to jump free :)

Now it was just off the track and the rain/hail was getting heavier making it impossible to get a decent footing to lift the bike.. I'd get it up to a 45 degree angle and then my feet would slip out backwards making me headbutt the bike on my way down.. After trying 1/2 dozen times to get the bike up I thought no way.. decided to walk back to the top of the hill and seek out help..

Couple of blokes in a 4WD stopped and gave me a lift back to Gembrook Pub. From there I had phone service so I rang a mate Clayton and Glitch..
Both came to the rescue (Thanks Guys and Mock)..

Back in to the state Park and we park at the top of the hill and prepare ourselves. The rain is starting to ease off now :)

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7738.JPG

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7739.JPG

Getting down to the bike Glitch asseses (laugh's his head off) the situation and the lift begins

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7741.JPG

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7742.JPG

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7743.JPG

This photo would show the steepness of the hill the best

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7744.JPG

After getting the bike up we headed around the corner hoping to get on the road that was about 50 meters away. Unfortunately a creek put an end to that plan so we had to walk the bike back up the hill with the engine running and walking it up in gear.. What a mission that was..

rest stop 38

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7745.JPG

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/06/DR650rescue/IMG_7746.JPG

After much huffing and puffing we were finally there.. Phew :chug: :chug:

Clayton rode the bike out the Park back to Gembrook where we all stopped and had hot coffees/chocolates.. I ended up riding it home and pretty much collapsed from the day..

Woke up this morning to assess the damage.

Bike - none, not a mark, not a bent lever nothing. :)
Me - Pride, Left wrist, right knee / calf / ankle.. Off to the docs tomorrow, found it pretty hard to walk around around today.. :(

Lessons learnt - A dual sport is exactly that.. Too bloody heavy for serious off road riding.. Propper knobbies would help too.. Another set of wheels will be purchased very soon..

Stay off the tracks when the rain comes in.. Gets very slushy very quickly

Have a riding buddy.. I let people know where I was going and what time I would be back but didn't actually go with anyone.

I can't do the simple things, I like to know where my limits are especially while on a bike.. Need to think a bit more about this one..

I have some great friends (but I already knew this).. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leon
25-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Mate, good to see you and bike aren't too badly banged up from the whole experience....

......maybe you are a bit like me - I don't have accidents, I have "learning incidents!" :chug:

glitch
25-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Christ, was that hill slippery or what....
Fell on my arse rolling a smoke :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great fun thumping the little Mazda through the potholes, some felt deep enough to swallow that little bubble.
BTW, got that lump of dirt outta the left ear? I had to yell a few times!! :lol: :lol: :P

jo
25-09-2006, 08:25 PM
That is steep!!! I'll probably get vertigo!!!

Have you considered advance training? I know the condition was not ideal but maybe those advance course may be the go. As you normally don't ride dirt are you fit enough (hint hint :))

rodgerdodger
25-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Bugger - a good ride ruined! Good to hear there wasn't too much damage...

If you feel like some company on a half assed attempt at off roading some time let me know. If I'm on a ride I've started taking a bit of a detour into the Toolangi forest and, despite usually soaking myself in mud and inventing colourful phrases while dragging the bike back up, have a good time doing it.

From the sounds of it we're both about on the same point on the learning curve.

:oops: :roll: :oops:

Anyway give it another go... as long as you take it kinda easy it reminds you of why it was a good decision to buy a trail bike.

Cheers.

tim
26-09-2006, 05:55 AM
......maybe you are a bit like me - I don't have accidents, I have "learning incidents!" :chug:

hehe, I like that one :)

Have you considered advance training? I know the condition was not ideal but maybe those advance course may be the go. As you normally don't ride dirt are you fit enough (hint hint :) )

I've done a little bit of research on advanced training. Probably is the best way to go.. Fit, hmmmm no. still working on that one.. :)

Not feeling as sore this morning, very very stiff muscles but the wrist and right leg seem much better.. I may even it give it another go this weekend providing I'm not working :puter: :thumbs: :thumbs:

art_tas
27-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Hey Tim That's the spirit get back on that beast anbd spank it good! I 've lost cpount of the hills that claimed me at various stages of my dirt riding but one lesson I learnt early is the one you covered - go with the freshest Knobbie if it is even close to winter. Brave stuff to ride alone, I 've done it oo as I was too keen at times and just needed to keep the parctice up but you're right it's not a good thing when it's so easy to have an "unplanned dismount". Only one request - we are not giving you the lead down any tracks up in the Swiss Alps!!!
Good to hear you are mending overnight :))
Tim Tim :chug: :chug:

tim
28-09-2006, 08:58 AM
If you feel like some company on a half assed attempt at off roading some time let me know. If I'm on a ride I've started taking a bit of a detour into the Toolangi forest and, despite usually soaking myself in mud and inventing colourful phrases while dragging the bike back up, have a good time doing it.

From the sounds of it we're both about on the same point on the learning curve.

G'day rodgerdodger,

Thanks for the offer.. I may just take you up on it over the next month or so.. :lol: :lol:

Probably wont be going anywhere this weekend. The leg is healing fast but not fast enough.. At least I'm at work today.. Went to the docs, I've got a sprained knee and ankle. Should come good in the next 2-3 days.. Still riding just have to remember not to put the right leg down.. :lol: :lol:

FondaHonda
28-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Tim,
Great to hear that the bike came through unscathed and that you are well underway with the healing process. Looked like very average conditions, steep bank and nasty weather.
With some good lessons learnt...all part of the process...you will be underway soon and better prepared for the next adventure!

I hope that your recovery is fast!

On a side note; it was great to see the rescue mission involved the mighty Red 121 (Bubble)!! A car that my wife and I drove for 12 years or so and Pete is obviously giving it a hard time even in the dirt.
Being indestructable; even a crazed German cant kill it doing some daring off-road antics.
:roll: :wink: :wink:

glitch
28-09-2006, 01:45 PM
On a side note; it was great to see the rescue mission involved the mighty Red 121 (Bubble)!! A car that my wife and I drove for 12 years or so and Pete is obviously giving it a hard time even in the dirt.
Being indestructable; even a crazed German cant kill it doing some daring off-road antics.
:roll: :wink: :wink:

Ordered some knobbies for it after last weekend.... :box: :box:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jo
28-09-2006, 03:28 PM
I want to see the bubble with knobbies :D

gromit
29-09-2006, 09:36 AM
I used to own a 121 "bubble" - mine was the 1.5 litre "big block" version.

Sensational little cars, I still miss it!