View Full Version : 4 days, 3 states, 4000km+, ttr250

04-11-2006, 09:57 AM
hi all,
new to the site, i was invited to post a recent trip report, couple of days baging aroudn on a ttr250, cheers al
Monday morning 23/10/2006, up at 4:15, dressed and on the bike by 4:30AM.
04:46 Mooroopna 11km away for a ATM balance slip.
07:32 Nyah – Two Bays Roadhouse
09:12 Buronga – Roadhouse (just out of Mildura)
Central time zone +30 mins for tracking start times
12:26 Broken Hill – Mobil Excelsior
15:34 Peterborough – Roadhouse
16:56 Port Augusta – Highway One Roadhouse
19:19 Pimba – Spuds Roadhouse (Darkness and animals)
20:57 Glendambo – Travelstop Roadhouse
00:07 Coober Pedy – Ampol Roadhouse

1683 Kilometres Total J

2005 TTR250R, minor mods. 23+lt fuel tank, Givi screen, Oxford heated grips.
Tool kit, First Aid kit, heavy weather clothing, water, EPIRB, maps, passes, camera, phone. 2 x panniers, I x small tank bag (on tail rack), Pac safe helmet safe.

Sunday morning, suit up and help my girl friend get her gear sorted. Head out to the burbs and meet up with another 1000+ riders for the Pink Ribbon ride (cancer fund raiser). Awesome ride, police blocking corners, Vic roads organise green lights for the whole way.. BBQ, catch up with a few friends, ride home, my longest pillion ride at 150km. Time for a shower, different set of gear, panniers on the bike, good bye’s and head off North to the country town of Old Toolamba (Shepparton).
On the ride up I reviewed my plans, topped up the tank, and located an ATM machine in the local town. Spent a quite evening with a mate, bed around midnight.

The early stages were smooth, once over the boarder into New South Wales I was able to cruise at 110kph, (65mph). This continued for the majority of the journey until last light. After chatting to some ADVriders at a beer night I took the advice to keep the first few stops to just fuel, getting about half the trip covered before stopping for food. First food stop was in Broken Hill and the second in Port Augusta.
The fist few hours were very cold, heated grips on half way, wearing all the winter gear I was carrying as I road through mist and fog. Beautiful to watch the sun come up in the bikes mirrors, with the mist now just sitting atop the water canals. Although I would have loved to get a few good photos my plan was to limit any extra stops, so the photos I did take were generally at points when I was adjusting gear, mostly taking of stuff as the heat of the day combined with the northern travel came into play.
The stretch from Buronga through to Broken hill ended up being the longest section to ride on a mind level, few cars or scenery changes, things changed once I was heading out of Broken hill, refreshed with the first extended stop and food, I was really starting to realize the do ability of the days ride. Slight changes in the towns, signs and the like one notices in a different state or territory.
On the inside of my bikes screen I had stuck a list of the towns and distances along with a photo of my girl, so I was starting to see the next sections a lot differently, a real change once there is a half way point reached and passed.
While the list of stops and sections was a guide I found through the day that my planning was ok with the trip unfolding to follow the plan in reality.

04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
For the music side I have the mini disk going, although I had a routine, the first section no music, the next music, the third plugs in but nothing playing and rotate along the ride, I kept this going for the 4 days. The other part was not to listen to any radio stations, just the pre-recorded play list, just a chance to switch off from the “happiness”… of the news etc. For me this worked well over the trip.
Over half way in the ride I headed road the section from Peterborough through to Port Augusta, the first and only real hilly and twisty section, great timing in the day for it and nice to be leaning over in corners every 50meters..
This changed as soon as I turned right and headed north from Port Augusta, long straights with the sun starting to set, chasing the last rays of light. Starting to find my self sharing the road more and more with the road trains (truck with three full length trailers). I arrived into Pimba with only a momentary hint of reflected light on the western horizon. The next 360 odd kilometres was going to be in the dark while sharing the road with a lot of animals, Kangaroos, sheep, cows, rabbits, all of them I had already passed feeding near the road on the previous 200kms.
Used the mobile phone to call the Back Packers, through email I had booked a bed, just needed to confirm I was on the way, how far I had progressed and get the code for the front door. Learnt of the garage in Coober Pedy being a 24 hour operation so the end witness and fuel receipts could be obtained.
I took stock of the current situation at this time, I was nourished and hydrated (water bladder in the riding jacket), I had a nice bed to sleep in at any arrival time, enough full for the last stage with 150+kms in reserve and local knowledge of there being a couple of road trains coming up through to Darwin.
I pulled out of the road house and sat in a wayside, the next truck coming through with 4WD trailing behind passed me so I pulled out and followed from a safe distance, they cleared the road and there lights worked great to show me the path much further ahead. I kept a fair way back to avoid I hope any stress for the truck driver.
This process worked well for about 240 kilometres, as one driver pulled up and shut down to sleep the night I would wait for the next, a night time tag along gig. All going well until about 120 kilometres short of my destination.
So sitting back from the road, eating a cherry bar and enjoying the clear night filled with stars I waited for another truck.. no luck, I had 5 hours at this stage to get the last part of the journey, I was feeling good all tings considered. So pulled out and headed off at a very very slow speed watching lots of eyes looking back at me from the edge of the road, or the movement of something moving away. I really don’t know how long this went on for, although at a point the mirrors had a slight glow in them. Pulled over and waited.
The glow grew to revel a very fast moving BMW two door banging up the road, jumped on the gas and hooked it up, glanced at the Speedo 120 (ish “winkJ), though this is not working the car was just pulling away way beyond me and I had no interest in trying to do 110+ at night, backed it off and returned to the low end speeds, although I was happy to have had a short blat and cover a little extra distance.
I started to think of myself as a slightly quick Ag Bike (hey it worked for me)…
The side of the road started to flatten out and sightings of animals were not occurring, so a touch more throttle as I continued on my way. Around 23:30 local time I caught the occasional light up ahead, this slowly became to be my destination, 00:07 and I was paying for my fuel in Coober Pedy… (19.5 hrs total) mmmmm bed…not long or too far away..
A bit of a chat with the attendant, he appreciated what I was ohh wait had done!!

04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Cruised into the Hotel car park, pulled off the panniers and head in, 35 steeps down into the ground to find my bed reserved sign hanging out front, woo hoo my ride was over and I was about to have my first night sleeping in an underground / cave bed..

Tuesday morning and time to find out what the new day will bring, headed up stairs and the bike was waiting for me, chain lube, gear back on and the bill paid, time to find food.. Large breaky and coffee, and more coffee…I was allowed to roll the bike into café next to my table, so I could re organise the bike, look over the maps and take stock. Decided to head out to Oodnadatta latter in the day, first I checked out the town a little, underground museum and the like. The ride out was only 190 kms, all dirt, loose gravel, wash outs and flood plains.. This is the area that Mad Max 3 and other movies were filmed… very different environment to the hills from the Pink Ribbon ride 48 hours before.
Food, fuel photos and chats with the Pink Road house owner led me to change my plan of heading north from Oodnadatta while taking stock of the long ride I had just completed the day before, started out towards William Creek, although a little ito the ride I found the track needed more concentration than I had, turn around back into to town, bring on the steak sandwich..
Spent a few hours looking around town, railway museum is a must see, while also waiting for the cooler arvo temps, the clouds were forming.
The ride back to Coober Pedy was fun, started to see the animals more and more with a few drops of rain to mix tings up a little.
Alas 100kms shy of Coober and the sun set… so speeds back down and I just bopped along, although I new there was not very far to go, came to really enjoy seeing the little signs every 10kms advising me I was closer… at around the 30km to go mark I cam up onto the plains, the winds picked up, so I had a side over lean with gusts, animals, spots of rain, a 3 inch wide strip of tyre track to steer in… bloody great fun..
Night 2, back into the underground world, bike checked over, gear sorted out, and off to the pub, one beer and it closed, 2 bar, few more beers and some Brits on a bus tour.. all good.
Day 3, up and out early, more wind… more wind.. all the way to Adelaide, 843 kilometres took me 13 and a half hours, average speed 85kph. Big thank you to the guys in Port Augusta Yamaha for looking over the bike and checking a small oil leak, all ok bang on down the highway.
Arrived in Adelaide, first stop fuel, second stop Car wash. Stripped everything of the bike, degreaser applied and bike power washed… sad to watch all the nice red dust and dirt go down the drain..
After a few stops in town I located a place to stay with off street parking, dropped the gear, set up the bed and headed back to the foot path to oil the chain and put on a spare clamp, the header pipe guard had a bit missing.. I chose not to go looking for it.. off into town for a beer or three.. although at 2 drinks I was really feeling relaxed (wink), and turned in for the night.
Day 4, up way to early, chap in the room had a lot to drink and decided he was not sure were his money was, so lights on loads of noise and I was off for a shower…
Up early so headed off, ended up going on a short detour to Hahndorf, had some food and picked p a ginger bread man to eat on the stops back to Melbourne. The run to the SA / VIC border was smooth, the VIC side it all went back wards, so many towns, 100kph zones, road works, 2 breath tests with in 100kms, etc… At Ballart I turned right and headed down to Geelong to see a mate and hand over an apple donut from the Hahndorf bakery.. very brief stop then on the bike to get into Melbourne, I arrived home with enough time to pick up my swipe card then head to work, started a 7pm, just made it.. although I was knacked.. (tired)… Finished work at 1am, home and sleep…
I had an awesome ride over the 5 days with a minium of issues, lots of new experience’s and a good healthy desire to go again.. just not sure were in Aus next.

04-11-2006, 10:09 AM

04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
:clap: :clap:

Well done! Nice yarn. And a bloody good effort! :thumbs:


05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Balls the size of Boulders riding out there in the dark...and solo...just be careful of the odd blown tyre coming out the back of those road trains. Congrats on a good solid ride up the Oodnadatta, love your style .... what is the machine in the final pic? Where did you find that?

05-11-2006, 07:23 PM
thank you for the comments, nice,
The tyres and animal bits i was looking out for, bit tricky, stayed back a fair way. The ship in the back ground is a mock up from a movie not sure which one, sits in cobber pedy infront of a backpackers..

06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Great story and thanks for posting up the pics

07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Many thanks for that one....yet another brilliant yarn and taking my hat off...for doing it on a 250 if nothing else !! :chug: :chug:

Refreshing to see someone actually RIDING a 250 and not the usual "what's the fastest 250 I can buy while on L/P" cafe-latte Repsol-pony bull!
Here's to many more trips like that :chug: :chug: