View Full Version : Jafu's Tassie Tour (now with actual pictures)

20-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Finally after many years of trying to get this off the ground, I have done it.

........so it begins.
After a fitful nights non-sleep, ever tried sleeping on a rollercoaster, rose stiff and sore with a desire for caffeine and nicotine. Coffee sorted, out to the fresh air to see the sunrise over the Tasmanian coast.


Once disembarked and an hour wait at the quarantine checkpoint I was free to roam as I pleased. Using 'Mouths' method regarding the weather opted to travel towards the west.
My first port of call was breakfast, which I found at a lunch shop in Don just near the preserved railway I had planned to visit. Once fed and watered, I went to the Don River Railway, to find the volunteer staff extremely friendly. Spent a couple of hours talking and taking photos of their locos. I was also privileged to be present at the firing of the Mt Lyell Nº 9 loco that was in the Workshop.
Left the suburbs heading south through Speyton, then down to Sheffield, hoping to see the preserved railway there, but being a Tuesday it was all closed up. So off to Cradle Mountain via Moina, my intro to the Tassie roads complete with log trucks and lack of speed cameras. Nice sweepers and little traffic out here. The road from Cowrie Park tightened up into some nice twisty bits, the surrounding scenery is terrific. Through Moina and turned left onto the C132 more twisty roads, opening up into sweepers, passing Daisy Dell, turning left again to the Cradle mountain visitors centre. Stopped here for more coffee and a stretch of the legs


Went up to the park gates, but alas I had not got the necessary pass so back the way I came. followed the road back to the Moina turnoff but decided to keep going up to Wilmot, taking photos at every opportunity (as you do) but finding a safe place to park the bike was hard work, so I missed some nice pics. Found the obligatory lookout with parking just outside Wilmot.


Great downhill twisties a bit further up the road, having a ball, then the ubiquitous log truck, got the wave through just before a right hander swung round the truck, tipped into the corner to be confronted by a low-loader with an excavator coming up the hill. Well you definitely don't hang over the centre line or within a metre of it either.
Before long I was in Ulverstone so a pit stop was required, coffee and a smoke. Decided to continue westwards, sometimes paralleling the Bass Hwy, sometimes on it. Nice surface 110k limit, that not too many drivers seem to follow, then back down to 80k for a bloody roundabout. Who would put a roundabout in the middle of a hwy? Only in Tasmania. Into Burnie, and a fuel stop, decided to push on to Wynyard and somewhere to stay for the night. Found a great caravan park right on the beachfront, not only cheap, but the pub 100m up the road had a $10 scallop night.
What a first day, had a ball on the roads got some nice pic too, now to erect the tent, go to the pub and catch up on last nights sleep.

21-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Whoohoo :D

Just saw this, what a ripper of a yarn. :)
Boy, you've got a hand for some great shots, impressive.

Any chance to link them straight in?
More, more, more....this is GOOD !

22-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Day 2
Dragged myself out of my tent about 7ish. Packed up the tent, etc., had a drover’s breakfast. Cool, cloudy and windy, so off to Stanley and The Nut along the A2, cruisey main road, 90% of the traffic going the other way. Slowed by the road works at Crayfish Creek, lovely wet gravel and hard packed earth, terrific!!! Past Port Latta industrial sight, pity about the pollution though.
Turned right onto B21 heading for Stanley. What a fantastic little fishing town, tourism has given this place a life, as almost all the older houses are sporting fresh paint. Stopped at ' Moby Dicks for a real breakfast. Good food at a reasonable price.


Back at the A2 decisions were made, as there were far too many 'Grey Nomads' in their campers and caravans heading to Smithton, I decided to back track towards Burnie. I found a nice little diversion out to Table Cape and lighthouse. A nice twisty back road, reasonable surface but no corner markings! Then the road out to the Lighthouse turned out to be a gravel sheep track. More surprising was at the lighthouse, a Ferrari 360GT and 4 Morgan’s were having a photo session. By god that was the slowest Ferrari I've seen, as they gingerly made their way back to the blacktop.


Backtracked as far as Somerset, the weather had improved to be nice and sunny. Refuelled and then took the A10 to Yolla and Henrietta, lots of sweepers. Then my favorite road sign, "twisties 11k reduce speed”. So this is 'Hellyer Gorge', well the road surface is reasonable, a little gravel in the hairpins. Woo Hoooo. I loved it so much, I dumped the tank bag behind some bushes and set up the video camera. Back through the gorge, the only vehicle was a TasRoads inspector and he was parked well out of the way. Right back trough to the first hazard sign, a prompt 'U' turn and through again, enjoying every minute. This was one of the roads I had come to Tassie to ride. Back to the hidden tank bag



Tank bag replaced, I headed for Tullah, blatting down the open roads at speed, clear views ahead until, Shit!!!! Hotmix. Well that slowed me up, the more gravel. Not just gravel but very recently watered gravel, the tanker was 3 cars in front!!!
Finally into Tullah and a deserved coffee fix at the local village store. Asked about a place to stay for the night. No caravan parks here I have to go to Roseberry another 13k over the mountain. The scenery here is beautiful, peaceful too. The road to Roseberry was a blast twisties up and over the mountain. (Scared a local in 4x4 as I came hooting round a bend) . Into Roseberry to find the caravan park full, so is the motel, So back to Tullah and the Lakeside Chalets, good price for a room, with a restaurant that has good meals and a well stocked bar.
Another day over, time to relax and think of tomorrow.

22-03-2007, 04:17 PM
It would appear that I cannot direct link from Photobucket .......it

Sorry folks

22-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Day 3
Feeling refreshed after good nights sleep, found continental breakfast being served, but just had coffee. The dining area of the restaurant was packed with a backpacker tour eagerly awaiting their bus. Not my idea of seeing somewhere.
The sky was clear; the air crisp and clean, promises to be a good day.

Loaded the gear, hmm going to need fuel. Off to Roseberry again, no fuel being available at Tullah. What a way to start a days riding.twisty roads followed by a reverse of the same.
Made my way up to see the legendary "Wee Georgie Woods", but alas this being a weekday, it was not open. I could wait till 2nd Sunday of the month, but not this time.
Right then, off to Reece Dam via C252. Got to love the sign posting in Tassie, they actually warn you of upcoming intersections, before the turn, not as you turn. Great road, early part through forested areas sweeping turns, tighter as you climb the hills. Got stopped by a roadside worker, who warned me of an excavator being delivered about 5k's further up the road. Ok, so steadily ride on, ever watchful for said vehicles. Stopped at the Wilson river for a photo opportunity. (you can see why)

Whilst returning to my intrepid steed, the low-loader in question passed by. Thank the gods I wasn't parked in the middle of the bridge or..... Continued on stopping again at a sign marking 'Serpentine Ridge' where the distant Mt Livingstone was shrouded in cloud. Continued on through open sweepers with great visibility, though it was clouding over all the time. Rain I thought just what I don't need, but as luck would have it only 2 spots on the visor and nothing more.
I stopped at the dam an impressive structure, Second largest rock filled dam in Australia, or so I'm told. Had a wander round and a few pics were taken. Off to Zeehan more nice sweepers with a few twists thrown in just for fun.
Zeehan, what can you say. It's a nice old mining town, with its buildings restored as part of history. The Museum is worth the entry fee, I found the area history amazing and very interesting (if you happen to like that sort of thing). I could have easily spent a lot more time here. Had lunch in a great coffee shop, which was also a favourite with the locals, judging by some of the customers.
On to Stahan, more good riding roads, still plenty of roadkill!!!! Stopped at the lookout over Henty Beach and the Southern ocean, all bathed in glorious sunshine, although a stiff breeze off the sea kept the temperature cooler. Down the coast and into Strahan, what a different place to Zeehan. Talk about opposites, very touristy, expensive and full of grey nomads. Had a wander round town then out to Regatta Point to see the end of the West Coast Wilderness Railway. Just a carriage at the station, then with a toot this little diesel trundled into view. Not quite what I had expected, but as I had seen the steam loco in Don River Yards, I was not too disappointed. The local tourist floatplane landed making a reasonable Pic or two with the township as backdrop. * Not my sort of place so off to Queenstown. What a road about 30k of twisties, lots of traffic heading the other way.
Into Queenstown a couple of laps round town to locate somewhere to stay. Found a budget motel with Backpacker type accommodation, but they had a nice hot shower. Walked into town all of 200m and ran into some fellow riders staying at the Empire Hotel. Naturally the talk was of where we had been and where to next over several beers. Some were from Altona, others from NSW. "Joe" knows "Flipper" from MotoGP (The Tent man). Went off to get a feed then went back to the motel, just as the evening sun hit the mountains

22-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Day 4
Up with the sun (as usual), bright sunshine and a light breeze. (What happened to the rain everyone told me about?) The opportunity for more pics was presenting itself. So Back up the road to Strahan for a couple of K's, took a couple of shots, but not happy. Oh well you never know. Back to town for some breaky, into the short corners going down the hill. Went to downshift..........no gear selector . Ooohhh F#*k!!! Pulled off the road at the nearest available spot, thinking, I'm going to have to walk back up this hill in leathers to look for the bloody thing. Fortunately it was still attached by the linkage. On closer inspection I found I had only lost the retainer clip. Phew!!! Replaced the selector, checked function and proceeded back into town. As luck would have it, the BP servo was open and lo and behold he actual had a box of "E" clips.
After chatting for a few minutes, I selected a couple which I thought would be a good fit (they were Imp sizes not metric) A grand expense of $1 for 2. Moments later I installed the clip with a pair of pliers, all appeared ok. Went over the street for a well deserved coffee or two.
Left Queenstown up the road with 99 turns in 5k. Wow that's a steep incline (note to self video camera, Idiot). Now heading for Derwent Bridge via the A10 the road was a mix of sweeping turns and sharp twists not the best time of day due to the sun creating some very harsh shadows. The eyes got a real workout through here.
Stopped for pics and a smoke at the Frenchman's Cap lookout.

You just got to love this road with its mix of twisties and sweepers. The only downside is where the hillsides and vegetation block out the sunlight, it's like riding with a strobe headlight.
Passed the road to Lake St Claire and thought, coffee first, then back down there. Arrived at "The Hungry Wombat”, mmmmm good coffee and homemade sausage rolls. This is a bike friendly stop as the chef came out for a chat about bikes etc. a fella rolled up on a RGV500 and joined us. He had been out doing unsealed roads but having fun all the same. Back tracked about 5K to see Lake St Claire but the place was full of grey nomads and I wasn't exactly dressed for a hike through the scrub.
So I moved on heading for Ouse (pronounced ooze, only in Tasmania) . Wide open farming country, here you could really twist the wrist. Haven't seen a copper in days fortunately . Here there were straights to open it up on. Life is good, I thought. Approaching Tarraleigh the twisties returned but the road was pretty lumpy, and there were minor traffic holdups, slow cars and road works. Peeled off the main road for some pics of the Hydro scheme

From there into Ouse to refuel, this place made me hear banjos and pigs squealing, so I didn't hang about. I followed the road to New Norfolk.
At New Norfolk I detoured into the town centre for coffee and a look around. Here I stumble upon an establishment called ‘Passion’. A nice little place, who serve the best coffee in Tasmania, unbelievably rich cake and chocolate to die for. A chocoholic’s paradise
Now I was on the last leg into Hobart so I followed the river down the A10 then onto the Brooker Hwy. I sms'd TwinGirl to let her know I was in town, and arranged to meet her at the infamous 'Joe's Garage'. All cool except I didn't know where it was let alone how to get there. In to Hobart I go, peak hour traffic diversions for the Wooden Ships Festival and Navy Week. So back onto the mobile I go. Got instructions and several laps of the block, I finally found it. Parked outside, bikes don't park on the footpath here nor do they lane split. Grabbed a drink and waited for TG.
When she arrived I think she was as glad to see me as I her, we left for her place as I had previously arranged to stay there.
The evening involved diner at a local restaurant and drinks at Joe's till the wee hours.
I got to bed somewhere around 3:30 I think.
What a day, long, but I loved every bit of it.

22-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Day 5
Today is a rest day, no riding.
Fleur (TG) took me to the legendary Salamanca Market. Bratwurst sausages for lunch. The perfect hangover cure I'm told

Then I wandered along to the 'Wooden Ships Festival'. An interesting display of vessels of all shapes and sizes, all being built of timber.




A couple of pics as requested by a seafaring young lass

22-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Day 6
Fleur and I left her place and headed through the city up to Sandy Bay. Then along Nelson Rd, wow a twisty winding road on the edge of the city. A great ride even at 60k, better with no traffic.
The onto the A6, for a rush of long sweeping turns taken at $140+ , the concrete dividing was is a bit of a worry, but hey.
These took us almost all the way to Huonville, where we turned off onto the B68 heading for Cygnet. Here Fleur led me to a small bakery that makes delicious pastries.


We continued to following the coastline, through Garden Island Creek, nice views across the Huon river. Onto Verona Sands and then heading north to Gordon. Great twisties here all the way up to the turn off to Grandvewe Dairies. It’s an interesting little loose gravel road but worth the ride. Here they make cheese from sheep’s milk, hmmmm???
Fleur and I sampled their products and I was quite surprised at the tastes and textures, we then had a very good coffee taking in the view of Birch's Bay, from the balcony, which is quite inspiring



We then continued on to Kettering stopping only briefly to take in the view of the harbour and as Fleur pointed out, the unique carvings at the base of some of the trees, some were 'Alice in Wonderland' characters.


Continuing northward to Oyster Cove where we turned into the Nicholas Rivulet Road. More twisties, but with a little gravel in the corners, making it an interesting ride. This brought us out just short of Cygnet. We headed for Huonville for fuel.
Back along the A6 turning off on the edge of Hobart and going up past the Cascade Brewery. We turned left onto theB64 at the base of Mt Wellington, still shrouded in cloud. More twisties as you climb up to Ferntree, with spectacular views from some of the corners. Onto Longley.
We pulled up at the Longley Pub for a refreshing lemon squash, and joined the crowd listening to a blues band. We departed riding back down towards Mt Welly, then a quite aggressive (on my part) run to the bottom. Back through the CBD to home.
Overall quite an enjoyable days riding, the company making it all the better.

22-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Day 7
Slow to get underway this morning, off through the CBD and up towards Mt Wellington on the B64. Through Ferntree, past the Longley Pub, all quiet now, to rejoin the Huon Hwy at Sandfly intersection. Out along the A6 high-speed sweepers to Huonville. Straight on this time down to Geeveston, where I stopped for a coffee and a bite. The out to the "Tahune Airwalk"
The road in is sweepers and then twisties all signposted at 60k, but.....well... Reached the loose gravel carpark already full at 11:30.
Paid the entry fee and off I wandered. Spectacular is the best word to describe it. Walking amongst very very old trees that really seem to touch the sky. Then to reach the end to a fantastic view of the Arve river. All in all a great walk , but cannot recommend doing it in leathers



Back out to the A6 but not at the posted limits, this road deserves to be ridden, (being wary of large vehicles) at speed it's just too much fun.
South again along side the Huon River through Dover, Strathblane and past Southport. Here the road turned to gravel for the last few Ks to my final destination for the day, The Ida Bay Railway. I had one of those butt clenching moments on the gravel sweepers. GSX750Fs are not speedway or dirt track bikes but we were sideways
Damn I missed the last ride for the day so had a coffee to console myself. Decided to head back to Hobart, stopping at Dover for fuel, then at Port Huon for a piccy or two. Back underway stopping only to take some photos of the Huon Valley. Coming back through Longly twisties Mt Wellington was amazingly clear of cloud so Up I went. The 50k speed limit was pushed out of shape as I enjoyed the turns and twisting climb to the summit. By god it was cold up there, it’s no wonder they get snow up here. The cloud was literally just over my head, but not obscuring astounding views of Hobart and its suburbs.

The cloud was visibly rising and falling when you looked at the concrete mast. (see pic)
I was quite glad to come back down to warmer areas, riding down was just as much fun as going up, with exception of a couple of cars who could not get off their brakes.
Got back to Fleur's about 7:15pm after a great days ride.

22-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Day 8
It was cool, clear and sunny as I left Fleur's. Joining the post holiday traffic, mums taking their offspring back to school and other tourists. It's strange no-one lane-splits here, not heavy enough traffic I suppose.
Down through the city and onto Brooker Ave, then swinging right across the Tasman Bridge on the A3. Speed limit 110k, but the traffic going in my direction was at 120-130, so I sat with them. Never saw a cop or camera anywhere.
Going across the causeways at Midway the gusts of wind made their presence felt, but nothing like the Westgate Up to Sorell the road conditions went from great smooth bitumen to rough patched old road, just after the turn off for the airport. (Must be for appearances).
Stopped at Dunalley to refuel the bike and coffee for me. Continuing down the Arthur Hwy, a mix of sweepers and surfaces and a little traffic. Most prevalent out here was the amount of roadkill. 20% higher per head than any other state!!!
Swung off the A3 to visit the "Tessellated Pavement", the road in was a great set of downhill twisties, loved every turn but still need to work on the right-handers. The 'Tessellated Pavement' is a unique natural phenomenon, got a few pics hope they come up well.


Back on the road and across Eaglehawk Neck, no wonder this place was chosen as a check point and that's no dog on the tuckerbox either.
Into the Port Arthur Settlement, parked the bike with the masses of other tourists. (no footpath parking either) I was glad I had opted to go with the Draggin s today as it was getting pretty warm. Wandered into the visitors centre, where I opted for the walking tour and a visit to the 'Isle of the Dead'. Took lots of photos, as we were led on a shortish tour about the ruins and restorations. When the young cute guide had finished we wandered through some of the other buildings, someone was always on hand to answer most questions. Then it was down to the dock for the first part of the harbour tour, I like 12 or so others were getting off at the 'Isle of the Dead'.

This Tour of the settlements cemetery was enlightening to the convict days and the tour guide really knew her subject matter.

Whilst on the island the RAN decided to try and sneak in the back way
Once back in the settlement, I visited the site of the infamous massacre, the cafe' is now a memorial to those who perished.
On the road again I continued the loop out through Nubeena and Koonya, each with their own part of convict history. Back on the A3 I ripped up the roads stopping at Sorell for a very late lunch. I then headed out to Richmond. Got a couple of pics of the famous bridge, but the town deserved more time than I had daylight.
Back through Cambridge good roads here and a little more traffic, mostly GN's and back onto the freeway and into town to meet Fleur before going to "Bike Night" at Joe's Garage. It was an interesting evening

22-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Day 9
Packed up the bongos and Fleur and I parted company, (many thanks for your hospitality Fleur) She to work and I through the suburbs heading north. Back onto the Booker Hwy then right to pass over the Bowen Bridge, up Grasstree Hill rd. It would have been a fun ride through a twisty climb but a local 'Richard Cranium' decided to block all my attempts to pass him. Once the road opened out I left him behind and headed for Richmond. The township was still asleep when I passed through, so no breakfast here.

Out towards Sorell through another enjoyable section of climbing turns to link up with the A3, heading for Triabunna. Open roads light traffic, 2 cars and a logging truck, so the pace was fairly quick. Climbing up to Black Charlie’s gap the sweepers are fast, the road smooth, gravel free and roadkill as per usual. Down into Buckland and across the flat still at reasonable pace, (slowed to 80k through town). Past Buckland the road parallels the Prosser river in places clinging to the cliff face in a series of twisties. No room for error here, sheer cliff to the right and a stone wall protecting an equally sheer drop into the river. I saw some great photo opportunities, but alas nowhere to stop safely.
Got caught up behind another log truck, so I sat back and admired the colour of the river as we tootled into Orford. Left at the bridge and over the river, overtaking said log truck within 1k. Shortly there after arriving at Triabunna.
A nice little coastal town just off the main drag. Has a damn good bakery, so breakfast at last. Coffee, fresh made sausage rolls, and a chat with a Harley rider and his lady also touring these parts.
On to Swansea now, heading further north the road runs along the coast line. Spectacular views to be had and places to safely get photos


Down into Swansea 1, 2, 4,6,10 WTF!! Bloody cyclists everywhere coming towards me and impatient drivers doing stupid things to pass them. Several close calls with these idiots made me glad for the turn off to Lake Leake just ahead. Ok left here and into it, this is the famed Lake Leake rd and well does it live up to its reputation. Twisties and sweepers, fast sweepers, then a long straight section (Macchiato were $2.25 here) almost had the throttle pinned along here and then more sweepers opening up into farming country. Before I knew it I was in Campbell Town. Now that was fun, but this town was not on the plan for today, so Refuelled and had a coffee. Whilst refuelling I chanced to meet two like-minded ladies on scooters One with a yellow L flapping in the breeze. They were heading for Swansea, so info was exchanged about the road etc and off they buzzed. And "buzzed" I mean, those scooters sounded like a swarm of blowflies . I started back down Lake Leake rd for the reverse route, giving the pair at least 1/2 hour head start. I rolled quietly out of town, mindful of warnings about the local constabulary. Once well clear of town the throttle rolled on and I caught the 'L' plater halfway through the first set of sweepers, her mate no more than a kilometer further on. Back through the sweepers and twisties to the A3 where I turned left heading for Bicheno. Made some mental calcs as I rode and decided that I had averaged 130k for the round trip. The return from Campbell Town taking a little over 30 minutes.
I rolled into Bicheno and pulled up at a coffee shop, for coffee and a smoke.
I was about to depart when the two scooters hove into sight with the thumbs up. (Obviously someone else enjoyed the road).
I left Bicheno heading for St Mary’s via Elephant pass. Another great road climbing up from the coast, I passed Mt Elephant Pancakes vowing to stop there next time. Through St Mary’s and down via St Mary’s pass, still showing the devastation caused by the bushfires. Unfortunately I got caught up behind several cars and a truck negotiating the corners slowly. This gave me the opportunity to see the views of the coast. Not normally visible because of the vegetation, now lost to the fires.
Back onto the A3 and north to Scaramander also still with fire damage, it must have been terrifying for those who were there. I rolled into St Helens in the early afternoon and topped up the tank for the run to Launceston via Scottsdale.
The road from St Helens to Scottsdale is almost constant twisties as you climb one ridge and down the other side to go up again, It did open up around Derby. Stopped for a smoke at Scottsdale, the last push to Launceston. Around Springfield there are some more great twisties, but most had gravel in the corners and roadkill dotted between. Had the back sliding out as I pushed the bike and myself into another corner, just to dodge the roadkill
The sweepers across to Nunamara were taken at a speed that startled the smarty in the 4x4 who kept trying to race around me through the corners ( I hope he wasn't a cop)
One last climb the down into the city. Found a place to stay, had a nice long hot shower, organised dinner and relaxed

23-03-2007, 07:47 AM
What a great yarn...sounds like enjoyed yourself thoroughly :D
Shame about the direct-link failing....doesn't matter though, it heightens the expectations :lol:
Magnificent pics, really complimenting the text.
You've got a knack for "seeing the right shot", thanks for sharing !

23-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Jafu! What are you doing to me?? Your report makes me only more and more impatient - can't wait, can't wait.......... till it's my turn to go to Tassie. 6 more weeks to go!!! :D :D :D
Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

23-03-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys I did enjoy myself. Here is the last three days:

Day 10
Well the sky looked threatening as I threaded my way through the suburbs of Launceston. Just light traffic at this hour as I turned of towards Westbury. Down the A1 (Bass Hwy) for a short while. It’s a crazy bit of road. Officially speed limited to 110k dual carriageway, sat with the traffic at 130. Then the road becomes single lane, still at the same speed. The A1 by-passes Hadspan, Carrick and Hagley, but the back roads are more fun and less clowns.
Pulled into Westbury about 8:30. Andy's bakery was not yet open, but got a freshly made Egg and bacon roll, with passable coffee at the Takeaway/general store, table service to boot . A little after 9 I made my way back up the road to Pearns Steam World. This is a collection of Traction engines, tractors and other farming equipment of a bygone era. I found some interesting stuff here. Whilst standing outside talking to the old curator, a rare sight occurred, a Pacific National container train rolled past. This was one of the things I had come to Tassie to see, as they are becoming a rarity these days, following the Tassie Tiger's footsteps.
Then I made my way northward on the B72 then right, through Glengarry on the B71 turning left at Exeter onto the A7. Further north up to Beaconsfield, Site of the recent mine disaster, where I refuelled on to Beauty Point. This is a great little town on the Tamar River, has some nice views of the river, which is dotted with port structures. It is also the home of 'Seahorse World, Entry into 'Seahorse World is relatively cheap and I found the guided tour fascinating. I didn't know there are that many types of seahorse, let alone the fact that several species are native to Australian temperate waters. I bought a couple of pressies for the kids and the grandson.
I decided lunch could wait a while and back tracked to the C758, where I turned left through Sidmouth and over the Batman Bridge to join the A8, East Tamar Hwy. The Batman Bridge is an impressive structure, but alas I could not find a vantage point to photograph it. Continuing on south down the A8 and into the eastern side of Launceston to the museum at Inveresk. Nice but not what I had expected. Hmm well ok. South this time, out through Bredalbane, Western Junction to Evandale. What a quaint little village it is. Had coffee and a wander round the village, too many GN to get any pictures and I was starting to feel the effects of this touring, I just could not bring myself to stop for long anywhere. Off again out through Perth; Saw the PN train I saw this morning, on its return to the south. (still no pic Triple damn)


Turned left at the B51 to Longford and down to Cressy. Right onto the C??? Out to Bracknell, up to Westbury again and left onto the A1 towards Deloraine via the old back road.
When I got to Deloraine, I was not a happy camper, so I headed back to Launceston at breakneck speed with the rest of the tourists.
Found a motel (couldn't be bothered hunting down a camp site) that was reasonably priced in South Launceston. Had a great view of the city and its own restaurant with bar. Boy did I need a beer or two.

It was a good and bad day, but there is always tomorrow.

23-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Day 11

It was cool and clear when I left the motel and headed into town for fuel and an ATM. Swung onto the A1 heading south, turned off at Perth and headed for Longford. Turned onto the B51 and into Longford, no trains today :(. Longford is a nice place but no breakfast here, so continued down through Cressy, I'm going to have to stop these early starts as nothing is open. Turned right at the 'T' and continued on to Poatina.
Turned off in the Poatina village, strange place, but the people are friendly and the coffee was most welcome.

Leaving Poatina about 10 it was a nice climb up onto the plateau. The tight cornered road was relatively gravel free, but the usual log trucks were there. Missed the look out as I was looking out for the log truck who required a little more road space, as usual there was not a suitably safe spot for a U turn. (next time) I continued on towards Cramps and Flintstone. The trees up here appear to be dead or dying. The road is just along a series of sweepers so the pace is up. Spotted a wallaby beside the road, hmm better kept a sharper lookout, don't want critters jumping out or it could be messy. All of a sudden a camper type $x$ pulled out of a side road. Whoa Nellie, hit the picks, I felt the back lift as the brakes bit hard. I stopped but the FW in the 4x4 continued on oblivious to my approach. I couldn't pass as the obligatory log truck was also approaching.
( 1st Vehicle episode)
Down to the 'T' and turned right onto the Lake Hwy (A5) heading for Miena. Stopped and got a couple of pics at the dam. The original 1916 dam was only visible due to the low water level.


I went back to the T intersection and continued on heading for Bothwell. It’s all very open country here, gentle undulating hills covered with gorse, till you reach the farming areas.
Bothwell, home of the first Australasian golf course. It looked parched, more signs of drought here than anywhere else I had been so far. Stopped for lunch at the local bakery, Wallaby and Bacon pie, not half bad. I visited the golf museum ‘cos it was there.
It was here that I made a navigational cock-up and I followed the main road to Melton Mobray as opposed to the route I had planned, down the B110 to Hollow tree. Oh well. As compensation the road down through Aspley has a nice set of twisties.
I continued on through Bagdad and turned left at Brighton heading out towards Richmond. Not too bad a road little traffic, but the bumps almost had me airbourne at one point. Into Richmond and turned right onto the B31, then right again to Risdon Vale. Along Grass tree hill road, this is as much fun going down as up. Well till I caught up with a pair of GN who were soooo slooooow negotiating the bends.

I made my way to Fleur’s to await the arrival of Vic and his crew and Geordie Lass ,Tim and Nola, the later group enjoying a tour of Cascade Brewery and of course Fleur

When we all together beers were had by thirsty riders and pizza was ordered and consumed. We then set off by cab for Joe’s garage, Where Scumbag’s crew were already celebrating
A great night was had by all

23-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Day 12
This is a day that wasn’t supposed to happen. I had proposed to leave Hobart in the wee hours and ride straight up the middle on the Midland Hwy. Well, old age caught up with me and I stayed over night. Better sleep than squashed. :D So a phone call at 6:30 to the shipping line saw me rebooked to travel on Saturday evening. This gave me all day to get to Devonport instead of the 3 hour sprint.
So around 7:00 I quietly packed the bike and squeezed past Fleur’s Jeep and into the street. Just as I pulled the lid on Fleur came out to see me off. The poor girl had to work before taking the masses to Salamanca market.
Out the Grass Tree Hill road to Richmond, Stopped for breakfast here, I noticed the early support crews for the cyclists beginning to arrive, time to go. From here on to Triabunna, stopping for a cuppa and a smoke. Pushing on with one eye on the weather, I didn’t want to get caught in the rain, which had poured on Hobart the night before. Stopped in Swansea, no cyclists this time and had a wander round


On to Bicheno where I refueled and headed for Elephant Pass. Up Elephant Pass, a great bit of twisty road. This time I stopped for pancakes at Mt Elephant Pancakes. The pancakes were great, the service faultless and the waitress’ ……… well very easy on the eye.
After lunch I had to shed a layer as it had become quite hot, before continuing on to St Mary’s.
Here I decide to go along the Esk Hwy to Fingal

Fingal was quiet, typical country town on a Saturday afternoon and the sun was damn hot.


On to Avoca, where it seemed to be even hotter, the roads were fairly straight with long sweepers. Till I hit the junction with the Midland Hwy, where I turned north heading towards Perth again. I decided that there must be a better way, but my map is lacking a lot of detail, like C roads. I swung west heading towards Westbury. Stopped for a cold drink, it seemed even hotter still here. At the toss of a coin, a navigational aid, I continued along the A1 towards my destination. Had to refuel at Sassafras and was chatting with the proprietor about the pall of smoke on the skyline towards Railton.
“Another burn off, that has got the better of them” I was told, “has happened before.”
Sounds Like the DSE have been here too. I rolled past Anvers Chocolate making a mental note to visit there next trip.
I arrived in Devonport some what hot and tired. I wound my way through quiet streets, down to the ferry to join the embarking passengers.
I have had such a terrific time here. The roads, the friendly locals and the weather and some great memories. Of course lots of photos, not as many as I thought, mostly due to the inability to stop safely to take them.


In the 12 days I spent in Tassie I only managed to take 250 fotoz, some got cut, some are personal, so there are more here


I hope you enjoyed my ramblings

24-03-2007, 11:06 PM
It would appear that I cannot direct link from Photobucket .......it

Sorry folks

easy fix my friend :D

just wrap the same url you have linked in here with the tags and remove "?action=view&current=" before the file name

I have done the first post for you, I hope you dont mind


25-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Day 2
Then my favorite road sign, "twisties 11k reduce speed”. So this is 'Hellyer Gorge', well the road surface is reasonable, a little gravel in the hairpins. Woo Hoooo. I loved it so much, I dumped the tank bag behind some bushes and set up the video camera.

The place named after one of Marty's (yup, our Marty here) ancestors, who was a surveyor in Tassie in the old days and apparently charted lots of places.

GREAT story, Dave...brings across much of the essence of bike-touring. :chug: :chug:

26-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Marty. I shall go back through and re-edit where necessary

27-03-2007, 08:37 AM
The place named after one of Marty's (yup, our Marty here) ancestors, who was a surveyor in Tassie in the old days and apparently charted lots of places.

that was my great, great Grandfather ( +/- a great) Henry Hellyer (father's side), he did a lot of surveying in the the North West of Tas.

But I found out another thing, my great, great Grandfather on my mother's side was the surveyor of the the Mt Wellington Rd plus a heap of other roads in Tassie

so you can thank me for all the great roads in Tassie 8) :lol: :P


27-03-2007, 08:58 PM
A thoroughly enjoyable read !!
That was worth reading a few times over (and I'll come back for another read from time to time) , thanks for the effort of putting it together and posting it up. Only 250 pics?? With your pics it's the quality
rather than quantity, there are some bewdies there.

:thumbs: :thumbs:

27-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Dave, you missed the story about the taxi driver on Day 11, now she was a real honey :P
Great read, and you have your camera working real well, wish I had time to write something about our trip, the problem was most of it was spent riding with little stops for the nice pictures.