PDA

View Full Version : Charge Of The Midgets pt2_ Cape-Burners Inc.

glitch
06-08-2008, 10:14 AM
You don't really think, just because it's been quiet on that front, that things wouldn't happen, do ya?? :looney::P

The "original" crew has sadly shrunk in numbers, though...Goodie decided that things would be just too physical and harsh this time around (and I have to agree, especially since she's been nursing a crooked back for the last 4 weeks), and Tim can't make the time in his new job, bummer!!

Meet Glen (loxsmith around here) and Rohan then, who decided to take up the challenge.

Rohan's Red-Rocket has been on the truck on it's way north to Cairns since last week, Glen is getting ready to ship his bike from Brisbane soon...
and all sorts of things have been happening in some dark garages.

The meet will be in just over 2 weeks from now, the 22/8 in Cairns :so

Due to the nature of this whole thing, I haven't even booked a return flight from Cairns.....anything.....ANYTHING....could happen, and we have to play it by ear.

Let's get this RR kicked off then, hopefully with some pics as well.

There's 2500k's of dirt-tracks waiting :thumbs::thumbs:

loxsmith
06-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Heres some pics of the RR.
Ditched the Givi E52 top box, saved some weight and now using the Andy Strapz oilskin "A" bag. Tested it on a 1100km weekend run on the Vstrom and it worked a treat. Also gives more seat room/get off space and less chance of crash injury.

My kids drew a map of the Cape on the RHS orange Postie pannier just in case we get lost!

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/08/Cape2/Cape2_0002.jpg

Removed the solid steel pannier base frames (potential leg breakers) and made some 50mm webbing straps to stop the panniers flapping around and support some weight.

After I got the forks to move the front guard fouled on the Tomahawk.
Have now moved the Tomahawk to the RHS of the crash bar.

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/08/Cape2/Cape2_0005.jpg

14 tooth sprocket zip tied to the crash bar, might be useful if it is continual slow going?? Also a spare brake lever zip tied to the crash bar.

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/08/Cape2/Cape2_0004.jpg

Spare rear spokes, about 5 for each side are duct taped to the rear rack.
Pic of Petes launcher kit, need to drill 2 x 6mm clearance holes through each of the crash bars. 4 holes in total I will take these as carry on baggage, hope they don't think I am a bird smuggler!

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/08/Cape2/Cape2_0001.jpg

Note the late addition of the "FNFAST" sticker to the LHS side cover

http://www.glitch-oz.com/pics/08/Cape2/Cape2_0003.jpg

Final check over and pack this coming weekend then it's off to the freighter next week.

Checked on www.exploroz.com (http://www.austouring.com/forum/www.exploroz.com)

yesterday and all roads are currently open excluding the CREB Track, we will just have to see about that one when we get there.

Going to pack a mates old GPS to use to find an off the beaten track WW2 plane wreck at Bamaga Airport. This should be the only occasion we need one. It's a bugger to cart it all the way just for that.
Will send around a packing list next week and see what has been doubled up on and what I can ditch
So who's excited now ???????????????
Seeya soon
Glen

glitch
12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
10 days to go :woot::woot:

Rohan's bike from Hobart should be nearly in Cairns by now, Glen sent his off yesterday.
I mailed a 17kg box of parts and tools to the Caravan Park and hopefully have everything needed to refurbish my scoot after pulling it out of it's 4months storage-slumber.

There's a bit of anxiety of what I might find after the Fraser Island stint, salt-spray from beachriding...and then 4 months of not moving a wheel.
Perhaps the thing is just a lump of rust by now? :eek::eek:

Can't wait to open that security locker and have a look...

Punisher
12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Those stickers will make her go a lot faster ;-) hope ya have a fun time with it

glitch
13-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Those stickers will make her go a lot faster ;-) hope ya have a fun time with it

Mate....those stickers are what holds it together!!!

Punisher
13-08-2008, 10:23 AM
in the words of bart, thats a load bearing poster ;-)

loxsmith
14-08-2008, 10:13 AM
10 days to go :woot::woot:

There's a bit of anxiety of what I might find after the Fraser Island stint, salt-spray from beachriding...and then 4 months of not moving a wheel.
Perhaps the thing is just a lump of rust by now? :eek::eek:

Pete, check the brake shoes as early as you can, I found that after salt water/sand riding that the friction material would part company with the alloy brake shoe. Especially after yours was drowned. I have a spare set of front and rears at home, if need be I can throw them in when I fly out on Saturday morn.

Ring me on the mobile if you need 'em.

Glen

PS Good to hear all the bikes are there, they must have loaded mine on the B Double that was parked beside my pallet :so

glitch
14-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Pete, check the brake shoes as early as you can, I found that after salt water/sand riding that the friction material would part company with the alloy brake shoe. Especially after yours was drowned. I have a spare set of front and rears at home, if need be I can throw them in when I fly out on Saturday morn.

Ring me on the mobile if you need 'em.

Glen

PS Good to hear all the bikes are there, they must have loaded mine on the B Double that was parked beside my pallet :so

OK mate, will do.
That's one item that didn't go up in that 17kg box :doh::doh:
I'll peel the wheels out, first thing!

loxsmith
15-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I give up, too many GPS points to find now so it's off to Johnny Appleseed to buy a Garmin Zumo hard wire cable. A mate has a Ram mount I can use for the Postie bars. Tracks4Australia is already loaded.
This RR will stand out like a Rat with a Gold tooth! :rofl:

glitch
15-08-2008, 10:46 AM
This RR will stand out like a Rat with a Gold tooth! :rofl:

:lollol::lollol:

rg500
18-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of my test rider. He wasn't too impressed with the handling.

Rohan

loxsmith
18-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of my test rider. He wasn't too impressed with the handling.

Rohan

Andrew was asking on the weekend what orange flash junior was up to.
Bark Busters on a Postie, now there's a first!

By now you would know that we have some official mail from Red Deer Canada to deliver to Bamaga State School.

Not long now!

Glen

rg500
18-08-2008, 09:43 AM
The picture is actually Orange Flash jnr mkII. Not sure Andrew would have met him yet.

Is Andrew coming down on your Tassie trip.

Rohan

loxsmith
18-08-2008, 10:17 AM
The picture is actually Orange Flash jnr mkII. Not sure Andrew would have met him yet.

Is Andrew coming down on your Tassie trip.

Rohan

Andrew is not allowed out to play in Tassie, although I am twisting his arm to ride with us for the first few days on the way down. Let me get the Cape wander out of the way first then I will start serious Tassie planning.
Ferry passage has been booked for December 30 out of Melbourne.

Glen

glitch
20-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Countdown....
One more lousy day at work,:glu:glu
Friday morning 6am can't come quick enuff.:mad:

All bikes arrived in Cairns, as well as the 17kg box of spares and gear at the CP in Cairns.

The clock's ticking for a 12hr. major overhaul of one of the Fraser Island Posties (whichever starts first when trying to revive them out of their 4 months slumber at the freight depot)....some fruity "straight to the bathroom" drinks:bs....and then it's on by sunrise Sunday morning.:clap::clap:

Bloody oath... 28C in Cairns and 33 in Coen halfway up the Cape sound damn promising for a spell of shorts/ T-shirts and thongs... fugg this "snow down to 400m" crap here in Melbourne.

Gosh...still can't believe it...another dream turning reality.

It's been 25 years that I've been up those tracks and never thought I'd see it again.
I'm more than happy for at least one of us making it "to the TOP"...

Revv up them CT's, ya mongrels....playtime's OVER

PARTYTIME at the Asylum!!!

mcGUYver
21-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Have a great trip you lot. If I wasnt going off on my own little adventure into the Kimberleys, I would be coming with ya.

Make sure you keep Glen well lubricated as he becomes a little abarasive otherwise :D

Travel safe and cant wait to read the report.

glitch
21-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Have a great trip you lot. If I wasnt going off on my own little adventure into the Kimberleys, I would be coming with ya.

Make sure you keep Glen well lubricated as he becomes a little abarasive otherwise :D

Travel safe and cant wait to read the report.

Chickening out, eh :bs We know...
Yup, packed a jar of Vaseline for Glen, no sweat.

...and....WOT report?
What happens on the ride, stays on the ride :upyrs::poke:
:bs:bs

Thanks for the thoughts:lollol:....or was that a warning :eek:
:bs

loxsmith
21-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Good news
We have a free guided tour on Sunday afternoon up the Daintree River, compliments of Neville our host in Daintree
We have free Daintree River Vehicular Ferry tickets waiting for us
We have real beds to use at Neville's house, no tents on night 1

Bad News
Rang Batavia Downs Homestead last night and spoke to Graham the manager about permission to access Wenlock Falls. From what I have heard these Falls are spectacular. I was told by Graham that this area is kept for locals only, as travellers in the past have not looked after the site.
Was a long shot anyway!

I'll just have to see what else I can dig up

Glen

glitch
21-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Good news
We have a free guided tour on Sunday afternoon up the Daintree River, compliments of Neville our host in Daintree
We have free Daintree River Vehicular Ferry tickets waiting for us
We have real beds to use at Neville's house, no tents on night 1

Bad News
Rang Batavia Downs Homestead last night and spoke to Graham the manager about permission to access Wenlock Falls. From what I have heard these Falls are spectacular. I was told by Graham that this area is kept for locals only, as travellers in the past have not looked after the site.
Was a long shot anyway!

I'll just have to see what else I can dig up

Glen

AWESOME !! :clap::clap:

glitch
21-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Signing out for the next 3-4 weeks....no return tickets booked as yet.:eek::clap:

Cheers folks....
.....and don't forget to give the mods some hell :whistle: :so

asphalt
21-08-2008, 07:43 PM
hi pete !
have a good trip :thumbs: please, pick up a lot of impressions
of one of the wildest and roughest corner from the globe!
and come home very well !:clap:
cheers
hans

Punisher
21-08-2008, 07:50 PM
good luck, dont foget to write

steamboat
21-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Have a safe one,:hiAnd "Oh yeah, the "Midgee's" are waiting :eat:

moike
21-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Have fun.

loxsmith
22-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Some of us have to work the last day of the week. Not long now boys and I will join you! :drool:

24 hours and 40 minutes 'til I land, but who's counting?

Glen

Punisher
22-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Good Luck Boys and Girls, remember your RACQ cards when it stops off the beaten track

loxsmith
22-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Good Luck Boys and Girls, remember your RACQ cards when it stops off the beaten track
You thought that the mower tap on the CT fuel line was for filling the dual fuel burner.
A second and more important use is to drain the tank and throw a match at it when the bike will no longer move forward under it's own steam!

UPDATE
Pete just rang and his bike started after only 3 kicks. Mine has minor freight damage, a broken mirror head. How's that, it's got the first battle scar even before I get to ride it away.
Reality is that's nothing compared to what we are going to do to them! :bs

Glen

asphalt
23-08-2008, 04:04 AM
UPDATE
Pete just rang and his bike started after only 3 kicks.

thanks for your update :clap:

Mine has minor freight damage, a broken mirror head. How's that, it's got the first battle scar even before I get to ride it away.
Reality is that's nothing compared to what we are going to do to them! Glen :bs
poor little posties ........:eek:

have a good trip too !

hans

goodie
24-08-2008, 08:26 AM
The 3 Musketeers, ehm........... Midgets are united :cdle - and are on their way!!! Today will be a very short riding day, about 120km, staying overnight in the Daintree area.
I hope to post updates from time to time, but mobile reception is very scarce up there.
PS Pete forgot to take his plunger cup and Glen didnt bring a sleeping bag - Good start, boys!! :lol:

Punisher
24-08-2008, 11:55 AM
why am i picturing that movie wild hogs with tim allen, were they all end up sleeping out under 1 sleeping bag nekkid?

but mock do you wish you were with them?

goodie
24-08-2008, 02:54 PM
but mock do you wish you were with them?

YES :so ............ and NO :looney::looney:

It was my choice, NOT to go with them. So I guess the "No" proved to be stronger in the end, but it was nevertheless a very tough decision, I'm telling ya.

Punisher
24-08-2008, 05:08 PM
ah you should of gawn still :) regardless of your nerves.

glitch
24-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Here's a quick live-update....we're in the Daintree, just 3km on the the north side of the Daintree River Ferry.
Our host is Neville, one of the skippers of the Tourist boats. Had a river cruise, croc-checking earlier on, fixing busted spokes and fixing anather flat....and this is fuggen day ONE :glu:glu
Havren't even been on the dirt propperly yet, either
Company is excellent, those 2 guys are GOLD!!!
Laughs all day, Glen's bike is having the hiccups whicjh we hope to fix as we go....getting about 10-20k's of running sweet before the shitter quits for 5 mins, before it runs again....and we're staying right in the middle of na thick pocket of rain-forest....it's a BREATHTAKING place!!

Solar-powered comp, net-via-dish....drinking Lambrusco (shaken for 6hrs on the road) and talking shit and bikes....or the other way around..... I give up, no light near the black keyboard, can't see shit.

Gotta finds the handwash now before knocking up a big tropical fruitsalad (or whatever it'll be).......
Sweating away, mozzies galore, and the first patch on the new tube fitted yesterday.

Better go, I think they're taking Nreville's Dakar to pieces....

Daintree track, mud and palms, rivercrossings and a first taste of the real Cape tomorrow. Cooktown, then north :glu:glu

Let the good times roll....:so:so:so:so:so

goodie
24-08-2008, 09:46 PM
And I was under the impression that ........ you guys were roughing it???? This first camp sounds like pure luxury to me! Solar powered comp, lambrusco, fruit salad - what else? Feather doonas on king size beds in airconditioned bures perhaps??? :rofl:

Punisher
24-08-2008, 09:54 PM
modern day camping :-) 100 buxomed virgins set up yurts and fan the weiry camper with banana leaves.

goodie
24-08-2008, 09:54 PM
ah you should of gawn still :) regardless of your nerves.

My nerves are fine, mad-biker - it's just that ehm ... ehm... I don't like ..... lambrusco?! :whistle:
Nah, it's alright, let the boys have some fun

Punisher
24-08-2008, 10:18 PM
nothing more exciting that knowing you have gained 10 meters a day dragging a bike through mud ;-) i think i much prefer road bikes my self on dry sealed roads ;-)

goodie
25-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Latest news from up north:
The morning greeted the boys hot and humid - and rain! Later the skies had mercy on them and turned the tap off to let them repair their way up to the Lions Den Hotel in reasonable "comfort" (am I using the right word here...? hehehe)
Anyway Glen's bike has frequent hiccups of some undisclosed nature (that's all I know) and Pete keeps breaking the spokes of his rear wheel - it couldn't possibly be, because of................ nah, nah we're not going to tell you to lose weight :bs no way!

Despite the hardships their spirits are high and apparently they had a good time at the Lions Den Hotel.:chug: Now they are on their way to Cooktown and hope to reach it before nightfall.

goodie
26-08-2008, 11:55 AM
The boys reached Cooktown last night and after consuming massive amounts of prawns and washing them down with the local brew, they decided as a last resort to exchange the stator in Glen's postie. Thankfully, Pete carried a spare and let's cross fingers for them, that this will do the trick.
Glen's bike is rideable, but only for a few ks at a time, then the motor just splutters and coughs and then stops, as if out of fuel. Then after waiting for some time (10-20mins) it will start again.

PS The first 2 river crossings and one big hill climb have been successfully mastered!! :thumbs:

goodie
27-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Well, the stator was exchanged and alas! Glen's bike was as good as gold! The boys went up Battlecamp Road, 180kms of the worst corrugation imaginable and made it up to Kalpowar Crossing, where they camped for the night.
Today, Glen's bike was still running fine - until just 45kms before they reached Musgrave! The cam chain rattled itself loose and came off, I think. They had no other choice, but to tow Glen the next 45km into Musgrave!
All of them are totally exhausted and in desperate need of more :scull:
They'll take Glen's bike apart this arvo and see if they can get it going again.

Rohan found his first bull dust hole and Pete keeps breaking his spokes. He is henceforth known as the "spokesperson" :wink:

goodie
27-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Yep, it's all over for Glen's bike! :( RACQ will pick it up and deliver it to Glen's front door in Brissie! Sometimes it really pays to have insurance!
What about Glen, you'll ask? He'll try and catch the mail plane in the morning and hitch a ride back to Cairns, where a beautiful little postie (mine!) is sitting in storage, waiting longingly for Glen to come and take her on a ride! He'll then try and catch up with Pete and Rohan, who will move on in the meantime.
Good luck boys - and look after my baby, Glen!

Punisher
27-08-2008, 08:34 PM
i was going to suggest, with his problems, hes probably better off getting the spare.

thats a shame, how far behind will he be? a few days, i guess he will be riding through the night

asphalt
28-08-2008, 04:05 PM
hmmmm:(
very bad news!
but if glen ride on the penninsular devel road directly.... may be, itīs possible to catch his mates a few days earlyer.
good luck for all the musketeers again!:thumbs:
hans

goodie
28-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes, you're right, Hans. Glen will take the Peninsula Developmental Road, when he chases after the other two. That will take about 100kms or so off the other route (they had taken earlier / Battlecamp Road). Plus, a good part of the P.D. Road is asphalted in the south. So he should make good progress.

Pete and Rohan will in the meantime only move in small steps forward. Tonight they should camp in Coen, tomorrow Archer River Roadhouse. After that, the track will get really rough, so they intent to wait for Glen there.
No, mad-biker, I don't think Glen will be riding through the night. Do you know how "bright" a postie head light is??? A bit like a candle.......:bs

Punisher
28-08-2008, 06:00 PM
heh, wait a minute, posties have headlights, i thought it was just like a numberplate light for the front of the bike ;-)

good luck for him trying to have a handycap for the trip :-)

goodie
29-08-2008, 08:18 AM
This is an e-mail I received just now from Leeanne, Glen's partner:

<Hi Goodie
Glen arrived at Cairns airport at 7pm last night after an interesting trip on the mail plane. It was dusk when they took off from Musgrave strip and they had fun trying to dodge the emu and kangaroos that were also using the strip as well as trying to keep the plane straight with the high winds.

All part of a challenging trip, fingers crossed now that the bike hangs in. He was staying at his friend’s place last night and getting up at 4.30am this morning to get the bike at 5am, do and oil change and off>

Hytram
29-08-2008, 08:36 AM
its not a trip....

its an adventure!!!

goodie
29-08-2008, 09:31 AM
its not a trip....

its an adventure!!!

I agree!!!

goodie
29-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Pete and Rohan decided on a rest day in Coen. They found a very interesting place: Charlie's Mine. Pete will fill you in on that one later on. Tomorrow they'll set off for Archer River.
Glen left very early in the morning, as planned, and after an oil-change and fixing a flat, he made it to Musgrave, just before dark. Yeeha!! Hoping, that all will go well, the trio should be reunited tomorrow night!:clap:

Punisher
29-08-2008, 06:58 PM
good luck to him, as long as he doesnt stop on every house and put junk mail in their letter box ;-)

art_tas
30-08-2008, 07:56 PM
He just like Glen I've caught up! Thanks for the updates Goodie. It's starting to sound like a real adventure orright. Can't wait for Pete to set up the gas powered sattelite dish and beam us up some Blair Witch type images with those spooky eyes as they ferret around in their tents;):glu

Fingers crossed the patches hold out on Pete's bladder after all that Lambruco/Prawn/Fruit Salad even the crocs would turn away at the sight of all that comin' out his patch?:bs

Keep the daily gring comin'

goodie
31-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Pete rang last night from Archer River Roadhouse - and YES, Glen made it, too!!! He dropped in totally exhausted, had to fix yet another flat on the way and a few other little things. Mind you, my bike wasn't prepped for the Cape York trip, as it wasn't meant to go there. Anyway, he seemed to manage somehow, clever guy! :thumbs:
The threesome decided to pitch tents in the camping area and stay away from the banks of the Archer, not so much because of crocs, as for the fact, that the night before was the fortnightly pay-day for the locals. Of course that always spells trouble, especially since the Archer River Roadhouse is one of the few places up there to sell spirits; and people swarm in from everywhere. The publican had to ring the cops for help (luckily there were 8 of them in Coen for training purpose).......

goodie
02-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Finally,we heard from the boys in the bush. They arrived tonight in Seisia, nearly there!!! - AND they're still together!!:thumbs:
What happened in the last 3 days? A few things got busted (thankfully not bones!), a few things were lost (mainly a few kilos due to lack of food!), and other things got repaired.
The main thing is that they're mostly alright, albeit utterly exhausted.
Tomorrow will be a rest-day - not again??? Come on boys, this is an adventure trip, not a holiday!!!:wink:
One of them will try his luck at fishing, the other one will travel to Thursday Island and'll do some sight-seeing, the third - who knows? Then there is mail to deliver to Bamaga, you'll remember the yearbook? And then there is that little sprint to the very top of Australia, about 30km (one way) of horrible corrugation - and after that they'll turn the little bikes around and do it all over again :looney:

asphalt
03-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Finally,we heard from the boys in the bush. They arrived tonight in Seisia, nearly there!!! - AND they're still together!!
very quick !
congratulations to the three musketeers ! :so:clap:

The main thing is that they're mostly alright, albeit utterly exhausted.
Tomorrow will be a rest-day
right! thatīs okay so :cool:

.......the other one will travel to Thursday Island and'll do some sight-seeing......

itīs unbelievable :wow: .....

they'll turn the little bikes around and do it all over again :looney:

good luck again :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

hans

glitch
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Green waters, blue skies, little islands everywhewre....and temps in the mid-30s !!
Welcome to TI...Thursday Island.
Net access on an old clonker in the publiuc library, all letters worn off the keyboard:eek:

What a dream it is:glu:glu:glu

The last few days have been a bit rough....lost some bark here and there doing the handlebar-ballet in lots of deep sand, spearing into the bush every few meters....some of the river crossings proved borderline, the northern part of the old OTL track is often barely good enough to walk, let alone ride.

Pushing the bikes through the crossings, they still somehow took on a little water (crankcase breather hose??...no idea), which we detected hopefully early enough.
Didn't have enough oil for 3 oilchanges, buty a stranded 4WD Diesel helped out with nearly 5 lityers of engine oil, not quite the right stuff, but it got us outta the shit.
In exchange we've notified the RACQ for him, he's stuck 80k's out of Bmaga in the sand....but near a river and with plenty of food....all's good.

The bikes need permanent fixing, various brackets and packracks broke, there's wire, duct tape and cable ties absolutely everywhere.

Gotta find a big rock to hammer my gearlever straight again after a 270 deg pirouette at 40kmh in deep sand, Glen flattened a small palm tree yesterday, Rohan skinned hisd lower right leg and twisted the knee a little, but all's good, no worries.

I'm on TI today, just back from the tourist-tour....4000ppl on this tiny island:eek::eek:
We'll all meet tonite at Punsand Bay Camp, only ~10k's from the tip.

Spent last nite at Marc's place, who runs Top End Motors in Seisia, more a wrecker yard than a repair joint. All night the 3ft mozzies bumped into the nylon of the tent, which is also held togetyher by duct tape....as are the Draggins....shit just has a VERY limited lifespan up here.

Friday morning it's back down south, taking the northern bypass road, then the southern part of the old OTL track to Bramwell Junction.

WHAT A RIDE !!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta get out there and get me some more of those mozzie-bikes, And a COLDIE :clap::clap:

Posties to the Cape???

BLOODY OATH !!!:so:so:so:so

stewy
03-09-2008, 12:08 PM
wow, sounds like an adventure alright, where are the pics.....surely you had plenty of space on the posties to carry a lead for the camera so you could at least up load a few for us :P

Sounds like you guys are having a blast :woot:

goodie
05-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Here is some trivia for you:
1. What would be a typical dinner for 3 hungry guys up north?
A: 3 KILOS :wow: (not 3 pieces) of steak!!!!

2. What would be a typical breakfast for same 3 guys?
A: 2 fresh lobsters!!

And NO rabbit food to go with it, just pure, unadultered protein....... :slobb
all washed down with a slab of tinnies!

asphalt
05-09-2008, 09:11 AM
A: 3 KILOS :wow: (not 3 pieces) of steak!!!!

A: 2 fresh lobsters!!

And NO rabbit food to go with it, just pure, unadultered protein.......
all washed down with a slab of tinnies!

iīm sure, this loading is necessary! :)
so they'll turn back with her fantastically reliable engines :endu in best conditions!

hans

Punisher
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
i guess they put that weight they lost back on pretty quickly. i my self rode about 300km in the rain today, and consumed half a dozen sausages and steak an inch thick, although the salid, was cooked onion and bread, does that count?

goodie
07-09-2008, 02:24 PM
10:30 this morning the three musketeers arrived at Archer River Roadhouse - don't know what condition the boys are in, but I DO know that Pete's still breaking the spokes of his postie!!!! :oops:
Poor little CT110s, they deserve a medal for their outstanding services and the punishment they receive!:tu

asphalt
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
10:30 this morning the three musketeers arrived at Archer River Roadhouse - don't know what condition the boys are in, but I DO know that Pete's still breaking the spokes of his postie!!!! :oops:
Poor little CT110s, they deserve a medal for their outstanding services and the punishment they receive!:tu
:clap:
a GOLD MEDAL

hmmmm... how many spokes they have in reserve,
whatīs, when the reserve is over ?
one-wheel-race, then ? :glu
all the best again!

hans

Punisher
07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
mmm a big bloke at work said he was thinking of buying a postie, what are they planning on doign with them afterwards ;-) job lot, maybe make 1 run still :-)

asphalt
07-09-2008, 11:34 PM
maybe make 1 run still
YEAH ....with one postie more than three, ... they will have a very big problem with transportation:)

doit
09-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Wish I was there Pete, sounds like you are having a blast, or at least all your challenges are being tested to the limit. Stay Safe.

Did I say I wish I was there, oops, maybe not by the sounds of things.

goodie
09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Update:
The 3 Midgets wanted to make it to Hann River Roadhouse last night, but due to a lot of punctures they lost heaps of time (... and - cough...enthusiasm??)
So they called it a night at Musgrave and worked on their "patchwork" skills :bs
Must be so romantic, sitting around the fire, talking, laughing, drinking..... and patching tubes!:lollol:
One of the residents of Musgrave slipped them the phone number of the mail plane company - just in case one (or all of them) would want to take the easy option and fly back to Cairns from there (like Glen did, after his postie broke down on the way up). But NOOOOO WAY, they'll ride to the end!
They were hoping to be in Cooktown tonight, where there is a motorcycle (repair) shop, but that seems to be an incredible distance for the battle scarred posties. We'll see.
Weather last night didn't look too good, there was a lot of lightning and thunderstorm in the Hann River area. Maybe it was good, that they didn't make it that far last night. Hope, it blows over.

asphalt
09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
One of the residents of Musgrave slipped them the phone number of the mail plane company - just in case one (or all of them) would want to take the easy option and fly back to Cairns from there (like Glen did, after his postie broke down on the way up). But NOOOOO WAY, they'll ride to the end!
:poo:

certainly!
iīm sure, that the three fighter finished the adventure-ride like planned:clap:

glitch
11-09-2008, 08:08 AM
LIVE from the Daintree :clap:

Made it through pouring afternoon rain through the tropical "Green Hole" of Cape Tribulations....back to DaintreeNev's place near the Daintree ferry.

Rolling down his drive, the sign said " Welcome Home, Posties....Well Done !!"
What a coming home that was :so:so:so
A HUGE thanks to Nev for all his hospitality and welcoming the crusty Cape- Trio.
It's been bucketing all night, and it's still semi-dark out there right now.
Hope to get out to the beach lateron for some "fossicking" for oysters.

Bikes ok, sort of....good enough for the wire and cable-ties to get everyone into Cairns.
Checked through the pics last night.....oh boy, there's some good stuff coming in the RR.

A fully overloaded CT wheelstanding at Musgrave :bs, anthill-dodging, sand-tracking, river-crossings...and changing tubes at 37C in the boiling sun out in the bone-dry mulga....3 times in a row.

Only a 130k's to go to Cairns...a lot can still happen, especially on a postie.
Some slip and slide up and down the hills of the Bloomfield track yesterday...soaked red clay made for plenty of "of SHITE!!!" moments.

Over and out till early next week :chug::chug:

Hytram
11-09-2008, 08:48 AM
you are f$cking mad... I so wish I was with ya :)

mcGUYver
11-09-2008, 10:58 AM
:so Well done boys. Awesome effort. Looking forward to reading the full report.

art_tas
11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
LIVE from the Daintree :clap:

Rolling down his drive, the sign said " Welcome Home, Posties....Well Done !!"
What a coming home that was :so:so:so

Hey Pete you chalked up another super home coming. Bin readin' the Tribulations and Trials along the way. :clap: Take my hat off to you guys that's an adventure orright! Why so many punctures? Spokes pushing back or low pressures?
Watch that run to Cairns you are on the home straight now and time to concentrate. PS On the anniversary of Day 1 of T1!! How do you manage to get all these holidays????:bs

sinkers
11-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Top effort loxsmith . it will be great to see ya back home again as ive accidentally locked meself out of the house again. Ive been livin in a tent in the front yard for two weeks waiting for ya.lucky i had a bit of campin gear in the forby parked out front.but its been good watching ya progress on the $2 a half hour session down the road at the library.when ya get back home do ya recon ya could bring that lock pickin thingo over. Sinkers

glitch
14-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Yeeha...all done!!

Back in Cairns after 2 nites at Tinaroo Dam in the aA
Atherton tablelands....TOP spot.:clap:
Great sunsets, nobody around, birds and wildlife galore.
But another 2-min noodle brecky and I'll be off food forever !!

Got most shit sorted, about half the stuff finished in the bin, half a tent, fart bag and other stuff not worth carting home.
Will strap the bikes to pallets tomorrow, then get into town for a last coldie
Glen flies out mid-arvo, my flight leaves later. Rohan flew out yesterday, being on a pre-booked return flight.
Poor bugger missed out on the last 2 nights on the Tinaroo...
Christ, what a ride it's been...
Lots of pics coming your way soon folks....:so:so

Getting a bit chilly now, must be dropping below 30 :bs
Catch ya soon....

asphalt
15-09-2008, 07:17 AM
:wave:

itīs great !
CONGRATULATION

Stromer
15-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Yayy glad you got back safe
:clap: to all the great posts and looking forward to pictures
you have made me sooooo homesick watching this thread that I am over Tassie already :wow:

Tinnaroo Dam haha use to spend our school camps up there
Thursday Island was where our parents took us for school holidays to be with friends. awesome place and the people are so friendly and welcoming.

looking forward to pics and glad you all got back safe :woot:

Tracey

loxsmith
16-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Goodie, thank you so much for your the use of your bike. It allowed me to complete another milestone trip 2770km all up, oh, and the extra 450km for my little excursion. That's a long, long way on a small capacity bike. I looked after the V6 RR like it was my own, OK even better than that! Did anyone tell you that it was the only bike to finish the trip with both mirrors intact???
It was a marathon 12+ hour effort riding 450km over blacktop & dirt to Musgrave Roadhouse in an attempt to catch up with the rest of the crew. :chug:I compare it to driving a car 2000km in one stint. All worth it!
The staff at the Roadhouse blinked their eyes several times when I fronted the bar and requested 4 heavy beers and a couple of Dark & Stromys to consume on the front lawn. Comments were didn't you just fly out on the mail plane last night?
Yep, just hand over the drinks so I can kill the pain will ya!

After the first few days of riding, I discovered that the "CT" in CT110 stands for Cape Time, everything happens in Cape Time up North, then allow a little more just in case. We tried and tried to get Pete on Cape Time and on several occassions I even thought we were making progress, maybe next time eh. Did I just say next time? How quickly the pain fades eh!

Time to do a ring around some mates and go for a ride on a real bike (Strom) up the mountains. Now to go and put on the Cape dust stained riding gear and go for a blast! Imagine that, manual clutch, horse power, brakes, handling, better be careful!

Thanks again Goodie

Glen

PS My seized wreck has not arrived back from the RACQ bike freighters yet! Don't really know that I want to see it just yet either. Maybe a loose fuel line and a match will fix it. Then again if I rebuild it I could ride it to ?????? :bang:

goodie
16-09-2008, 03:58 PM
Goodie, thank you so much for your the use of your bike.

Couldn't have lend it to a better person, Glen!
Just one consideration I have: Should I really stick the "FnFast" sticker you sent me on my bike or will it then end up the same as yours....... bust???:wink: :rofl::rofl:
PS My seized wreck has not arrived back from the RACQ bike freighters yet!
Hint: Check the back of the shed/garage - you just might find it there, hidden underneath a pile of stuff!! :bs - someone you know, doesn't really want to see it just yet either :whistle:

loxsmith
16-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Couldn't have lend it to a better person, Glen!
Just one consideration I have: Should I really stick the "FnFast" sticker you sent me on my bike or will it then end up the same as yours....... bust???:wink: :rofl::rofl:

Hint: Check the back of the shed/garage - you just might find it there, hidden underneath a pile of stuff!! :bs - someone you know, doesn't really want to see it just yet either :whistle:

Throw the sticker in the bin Goodie, it's all BULLSHIT!

Now off to search for that bike again, must be here somewhere :???:

mcGUYver
21-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Pete
Wheres the ride report????

goodie
21-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Pete
Wheres the ride report????

Mate...kick Glen in the bum to sent me the pics :poke:, I'd loved to have started this weekend, but it's useless without the pics.
I'm not starting this half-arsed, then cobble the pics in lateron...stuff's it all up, botches the sequences etc.

Glen and Rohan !!!! Cape-time's over, folks :lollol:

YOUR PICS PER OVERNIGHTER, PLEASE!! :chug::chug:

pete
(on Goodies login)