Glitch made me do it...

nev

Super Térrarist
To cut a long story short. Glitch posted something to the admins.. theres a bike in Queenstown NZ which needs to be ridden to Auckland in the middle of winter. How could i say no. :)

Day 1 Queenstown to Omarama

011.jpg

016.jpg

019.jpg

023.jpg

026.jpg

032.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
You lucky bastard!!
The Crown Range Rd. in winter and blue skies :eek::clap::clap:

:guff:guff
Look at that twist of the mouth:
Fugg....I'm shitting myself !!!
:guff:guff

Mate!!!
THIS IS WHAT I MEANT !!

Just drop-dead spectacular !!! :glu

Poor Eugene...he had first nibbles on that ride, but couldn't make it in the end.
Let's get the poor bugger some Bex....and hide anything sharp and dangerous!
:so

Bike ok?

:slobb :slobb :slobb

MORE MORE MORE

:clap::clap:

nev

Super Térrarist
the bike goes well. 44000km on the clock. ran like a dream. very like riding the strom, and i mean it's so like riding the strom I barely notice i'm on a different bike...

typical of the 650 single, its throttle is like a rubber band, you twist it up and it starts off slowly and eventually gets to where you want to go.. which normally would probably shit me.. but in 1st gear, accelerating around an uphill hairpin covered in ice with loads of clutch.. it's EXACTLY the sort of accelleration you need !!! I can see how these bikes would be superb on very soft tracks.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Mate...another day of weather like that and stuff Omarama... go Wanaka/ Haast Pass (lower than the Crown Rd.) and up the Westcoast with some wind in your sails !!

Scenery will be awesome with snow at those levels....rather than the "boring" Canterbury Plains in the East.

Canary

Long Timer
:eek: That is truly scary.

Beautiful scenery, but don't think that I could ride a bike in those conditions. :looney:

J

Junkmanjoe

mate you did well not to let her slip out on that road.

nev

Super Térrarist
Mate...another day of weather like that and stuff Omarama... go Wanaka/ Haast Pass (lower than the Crown Rd.) and up the Westcoast with some wind in your sails !!

Scenery will be awesome with snow at those levels....rather than the "boring" Canterbury Plains in the East.

I wish I had time to do all that, and still make my return flight on time. :) I've been watching the weather and though I might miss scenic bits, I like staying dry too :) I think the route I have plotted for tomorrow avoids the plains, or possibly rides the plains but hugs the mountain ranges.

nev

Super Térrarist
:eek: That is truly scary.

Beautiful scenery, but don't think that I could ride a bike in those conditions. :looney:

The truth be told Canary, the ice covered road only lasted perhaps 1km. I was quite hesitant, but what can you do, you keep riding forwards till you have a viable alternative. When I reached the viable alternative, an area of flat road with a carpark, which appeared to be the top of the pass, I stopped for a few photos, obviously staying on the bike, then I could pretty well see that the road headed back down into a valley again, so I took the gamble that the ice/slush would only last as long again as I had already ridden, ie if i turned around it would be the same net result, except I'd have to ride further to reach my destination.

In fact, strangely, last time I rode in such conditions, was in muddy snowy icy slush in india, and I knew I had to ride back down it again, and I was shittin myself, but on that occasion, as happened today, i found that riding downhill was easer than uphill. Maybe because of the extra weight on the front wheel ?

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
....i found that riding downhill was easer than uphill. Maybe because of the extra weight on the front wheel ?

Naw...it's because you know that the bike's sliding downhill away from you if you go down :bees::devil:

Top Bottom