Grampians - a noob meets sand

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Just back from a couple of days riding the Grampians. Stayed in Stawell 2 nights, as is was half the cost of staying in Halls Gap, and my camping gear has not arrived from OS yet.

I had not ridden in significant sand before and had forgotten just how sandy the roads are out there. Its real outback-like roads in places and even the good roads have sections of sandy washboard and deepish sand that induced some posterior puckering on numerous occasions. The sandy washboard was the worst, with the front wheel bouncing all over the place and the rear struggling for traction. Standing on the pegs helped a lot and a got a lot of practice.

On the second day I decided to air down the tires to 26 PSI, from my staple 36r/34f. This was a GREAT move and really improved traction and handling, and in turn gave me a lot more confidence on the sandy and deep gravel sections. It ironed out all but the most severe washboard (pun intentional) and made cornering a breeze. I did get this weird wallowy marshmellowy sensation as the bike moved around and of course the handling and turn in was rubbish on the tarmac. I also lived in fear of hitting potholes as the couple I did hit gave me the uneasy sensation that road was meeting rim.

I kept the speed down under 80 as I was also a bit concerned about how fast I should go on reduced PSI on Anakee IIs. Anyone have an opinion on what speeds will damage the tire at low PSI?

I did Mt Zero road, Serra road and Glenelg River road as well as all the twisties I could find. Missed a wallaby by inches on Roses Pass road with only some reaction braking saving my hide.

To get to the park, I took a route south of western highway. Lots of straight roads the got progressively flatter and sandier.

Sheep ganged up to prevent passage

Communications tower on Mt Zero Road

Cliche Grampians pics of The Balconies

Read's Lookout

Baroka Lookout

Wartook Reservior

Halls Gap

Major Mitchell Plateau

Victoria Valley

twowheeler

two wheels are best
There are others here far more qualified to give tyre pressure advice, but those photos are beauties :clap:.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Thanks on the pics. The little Sony RX-100 pocket camera that I got (myself) for Christmas takes such great photos that I can leave my SLR behind on bike trips.

Back in the dirt bike days riding sand was always just pin the throttle open and keep the weight as far back as possible. You need to keep the front light so it doesn't get buried and keep speed up so you don't dig the back wheel in. It's sort of like getting a speed boat onto the plane.
I have never tried really loose sand on the Strom but I guess the principle is the same on an ADV bike albeit with perhaps a bit more caution.
Rather than worrying too much about low tyre pressures on the rad it would possibly be a good idea to invest in a small electric pump for under the seat. Five or ten minutes to pump up the tyres is better than 100km under inflated IMO.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Back in the dirt bike days riding sand was always just pin the throttle open and keep the weight as far back as possible. You need to keep the front light so it doesn't get buried and keep speed up so you don't dig the back wheel in. It's sort of like getting a speed boat onto the plane.
I have never tried really loose sand on the Strom but I guess the principle is the same on an ADV bike albeit with perhaps a bit more caution.
Rather than worrying too much about low tyre pressures on the rad it would possibly be a good idea to invest in a small electric pump for under the seat. Five or ten minutes to pump up the tyres is better than 100km under inflated IMO.

Yep. I carry a little Slime 12V pump in my bag of tricks and used to to re-inflate before I did the twisties back to Halls Gap. Its a little too large for under seat, but I always carry a bag of tools and shit with me now since I copped a flat rear tire. I was kinda more worried about rim damage at low PSI. I guess its less likely with spoked wheels.

The sand on the Grampians roads wasnt super deep for the most part, but deep enough for the front to get unpredictable in parts. The sandy washboard stuff was truly hideous on fully inflated tires.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Five or ten minutes to pump up the tyres is better than 100km under inflated IMO.

It just depends how much of your riding day you want to spend inflating/ deflating tyres...I tend to run road pressures regardless of what the surface is and just deal with it/ go accordingly.
If it's a long, dedicated sand section... sure, then it's worth the effort.
If you don't know, what's coming up after the next bend...why bother?

You would have to be going fairly hard to damage a spoked rim with 26 psi. I think you'd be more concerned about broken bones from the crash the resulted from whatever you hit to be honest if you bent a rim. :D

Top Bottom