Koonwarra-Gippsland ramble

twowheeler

two wheels are best

Early start for me to have breaky with friends at Yinnar South (just east of Mirboo North), before joining everyone at the meet point.

Goodie & I set off on the non-gravel option, and I proceeded to get us lost almost immediately. Just because I went to school here, doesn’t mean my dim brain remembers the roads properly :doh:

Not to worry, we actually had a really enjoyable & relaxed ride which we kinda made up as we went along. We found ourselves at Mahers Landing, near Inverloch.

My Grandpa used to take me fishing here when I was little, in a giant tinny with a tiny 100cc Seagull outboard. We caught mullet and flathead and I got to drink black sweet tea from his Thermos -

An awesome boat, combining pedalling with a hull – what more could you want ? :glu . Goodie doesn’t look so convinced -

It comes with GPS, which I need on the Bender today -

Goodie’s Kwaka then needed some TLC :needashot –

More wrong roads on the way back to Koonwarra. But at least they’re picturesque roads :D -

We caught up with the gravel gang at Koonwarra for lunch.

We were greeted by shady trees -

And Roy the dog –

And a beautiful garden –

And good company –

The ride home with the group was entertaining, and bloody hot :sweat: . Sir Francis' Scrambler was sometimes running on only one 432.5cc cylinder, which my four 325cc cylinders were grateful for as I was therefore able to keep up. Thanks all !

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Re: 28.Dec, lunch at Koonwarra

Whilst I was not late, as the person living closest to the meet point (800m) it was only right I was last to arrive… :whistle:

Glitch outlining the day ahead.

Despite the recent engine replacement, looks like Fuzzy continues to have issues with the big KTM.

Yep, it had dropped its powerband… :killingme

Back roads through the Dandenongs to Gembrook and into the dirt of Bunyip.

Monster pot holes? Yeah, I had to turn my head lights on to see my out of some of them… :doh:

I took the lead for a short commute along the highway. Just past Yarragon things got more interesting… :endu

Thorpdale to Mirboo North. Fuel. Meet up with Doonap, A86 and his crew.

A little kerfuffle in getting underway with the group splitting into roadies and gravel gang but things sorted themselves out eventually.

A86 served up a feast of ridge and valley roads. :clap:

He even found us a waterfall and ferns.

Back on the road to lunch.

Out of the forest.

A super lunch at Koonwara store where the Koonie burgers lived up to their promise.

A86 and Chris followed the girls to Mirboo North.

After lunch Glitch took the lead through Leongatha before waving me through. The pace picked up with little chance of photo stops…

Late in the afternoon, when we hit the highway the group split – Fuzzy and Ant taking a direct route home while Doonap, Glitch, Goodie and I took the cut through to Gembrook.

What? Gravel? Well, you can bite my shiny metal ass… :bs

Well OK.

Doonap’s Bender striking a pose.

Thanks A86 for organising the ride today. :clap:

Trip distance: 384km for me.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hi guys
Thanks for that perfect opportunity to play with the forum software and find out what happens when moving a couple of posts (from the pre-weekend Koonwarra thread) to become a new thread. :thumbs:
All good...just never done it before.

Thanks for the shots and yarns :clap:

But THAT....IS NASTY!! :killingme:killingme
As if the poor bugger hasn't been through hell already.:bs

P1030542-L.jpg

Pics later, haven't even looked at 'em yet.

ant

AngryAnt
Re: 28.Dec, lunch at Koonwarra

Thanks to all for a great day! Great lead up by Pete, some more familiar roads and some new ones.

Coming back I pulled over under a bridge on the freeway near Packenham, to have a drink and take my jacket off... an older model Nissan 4wd pulls over in front of me, blowing smoke and steam... just an overheat I thought. Nope, the bloke pulls the bonnet up and the whole engine bay goes up flames! Another 4wd pulled over and helped the bloke put it out, but I'd say that car was cooked.

Squidded it home from Packenham in a t-shirt, then froze as I hit the cool change near Melbourne.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
@ doonap (twowheeler)

Nice photos, mate - but isn't there one missing? :killingme:killingme

something like this? :bees:

Very Noice. Yesterday proved that if you see the right scene, do a u-turn and take the photo - don't wait for the next opportunity 'cause it ain't going to bloody happen !

a86

Getting the hang of it
I can report that the Royal Enfield made it back to Mirboo North with no apparent organ damage. At least Tree had a truly authentic vintage british motorcycling experience!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Very Noice. Yesterday proved that if you see the right scene, do a u-turn and take the photo - don't wait for the next opportunity 'cause it ain't going to bloody happen !

Meaning, YOU'll never make it past 10k's from your front door :bs:thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I can report that the Royal Enfield made it back to Mirboo North with no apparent organ damage. At least Tree had a truly authentic vintage british motorcycling experience!

That's good to hear...even without the bottom of the donk spraying black goop all over boots and pants, she was blowing twice as thick of a blue cloud than Hayesy's Z (The Stroker :bees:)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
...and I thought I'd hit the jackpot, finding a still perfectly intact Wolfman bag neatly decorating the side of the road.
Those Tigers, I tellsya...getting bloody clever now. To extend their fuel-range they're now shrugging off every once of extra weight.
SF was back in a flash for it....and the thing weighed a ton :eek:

Koonwarra_00.JPG

Tree, punting the little Enfield up hill and down dale...

Koonwarra_01.JPG

....spreading it's life-blood liberally across the country-side :icon-maffick-:

Koonwarra_02.JPG

Koonwarra_03.JPG

Can't remember where exactly....Rob/a86 will!

Koonwarra_04.JPG

A quick shot through the greenery

Koonwarra_05.JPG

Turtons Creek and Falls

Koonwarra_06.JPG

Koonwarra_07.JPG

...and not a Tiger (or KTM) to be seen?? Looks like a V-Strom convention :bt

Koonwarra_08.JPG

How much GREEN :eek: do you want? Ant going for a look...

Koonwarra_09.JPG

SF and the daisys...

Koonwarra_10.JPG

Typical Gippsland!!

Koonwarra_11.JPG

Koonwarra_12.JPG

Koonwarra_13.JPG

The 2. outing...and the Klacka needs it's first bandaids :bs:thumbs::thumbs:

If it's good for the rider, it's good for the horse.

Koonwarra_14.JPG

What a great day, enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for a good day out, some fantastic views, the laughs, the chuckles into the helmet, the choice of roads and tracks, the cool and shady tree ferns and dense bush on a stinking-hot day... Yee-bloody-ha!!! :clap::clap:

Another great one in the bag!!:bow:

Top Bottom