Goldfields

-Macca-

Getting the hang of it
"I need to go on a ride" - Me to Roger a couple of weeks ago.

Good timing being everything, Mrs Macca & Small Noisy Child went to Brisbane this week without me, so I figured heading off Friday night and coming back Saturday night sounded like a good plan.

The only bad part of the good plan was the lack of a plan. I decided I'd head west(ish) and do a loop around the goldfields area, as I haven't really spent much time in the area - I've only ever really transited through the area.

We decided to leave on the Friday night and get to Mt Franklin hopefully just before dark. Well, Roger got stuck at work, and I got stuck in the traffic, so we both ended up getting there after dark. There were a helluva lotta people camping at Mt Franklin, and the DSE signs were insistent I only have a fire in one of their steel fire rings, so I did a lap to look for friendly's, and ended up with a bunch of gray nomads. :lol: (On a side note, they were all friends with Scott Britnell's Mum! (clicky))

Packing up at Mt Franklin:

Went out to Newstead for breakfast (when we found the town :oops:), and took off through the Muckleford reserve towards Maldon:

I wanted to go up Mount Tarrengower to the lookout, but in my excited-ness, I was a bit premature and turned off a road before I should have. :oops: The signs at the end of the bitumen that said "No Through Road" should have been a hint. We persevered, and ended up bouncing up a goat track. I watched Roger and his GSA disappear off the side of the track, but no way was I going to stop to help. On the next flat(ish) bit, we had a closer look at the map and went back down the hill to go out to the correct turnoff.

Good thing we went that way - we came across a "Road Closed" sign. Turns out that the Mount Tarrengower Hill Climb is on this weekend. :woot:

Took some pics, and had a chat to a few people:

Continued on to Dunolly. I've never been in the town before, even though we run a 4x4 event on the outskirts of town. Had a wander around (and more coffee).

Also came across one of these:

We'd learnt the night before from one of the Gray Nomads that a bloke called George Bills (Clicky) donated a heap of these watering troughs to towns across Australia on the condition that the local council/shire installed them so that horses could get a drink while in town.

Anyhoo, continuing on, we went down to the very busy town of Avoca (the Avoca Cup was on today). Stopped for a bit beside the river. Awefully big trees:

Roger looked up and said "Hey, a rainbow around the sun":

Kept on motoring towards Beaufort, but I had to stop at Chute on the way and get a pic of something else I learnt:

Stopped for a pub lunch at Beaufort - maybe the steak wasn't such a shit hot idea. I was ready for a nap.

The idea from here was to head a bit further south, and then head over east towards Buninyong to catch up with a mate. Well, obviously the powers that be had different ideas, because we got turned around just before Snake Gully due to a bushfire.. :eek: Backed up the track a bit, then down a side road heading towards Skipton:

From Skipton we took the highway towards Geelong:

Cut through Rokewood and Mt Mercer:

..and turned up at the mates place at Buninyong. Murphy strikes again - no one's home.. :lol: Mate is down at Melbourne, and Mrs Mate is at the Avoca races. Oh well. Time to start heading home again.

Normally I'd shoot out through Gordon, and back onto the Western Hwy, and slab it home, but Roger showed me a "back" way that comes out at Rockbank (ish) which is much more interesting than the highway.

~500km from Ballan (first fillup) back around to home again.

"So, Finke ya reckon Roger?"

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Nice!! :clap:
Certainly looks like a bit of a discovery tour.
Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Is that a horse trough?

IMG_0011_zps9c5eb142.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
Is that a horse trough?

IMG_0011_zps9c5eb142.jpg

Pete you have broken one of those unwritten laws :bang::bang::bang:

Crusty is going to be on here in a moment with pictures of every one in captivity, if you ask the right questions you may even get the address of the mothers of the boys who installed them. :bees:

Crustyvarmint

Back road wanderer
Welcome home Dave. looks like you had a wonderful time o/s.
It's good to see other members of this forum being enlightened to the history of the Bills horsetroughs.
See, I'm not so weird after all! :bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Pete you have broken one of those unwritten laws :bang::bang::bang:

Crusty is going to be on here in a moment with pictures of every one in captivity, if you ask the right questions you may even get the address of the mothers of the boys who installed them. :bees:

....and every mother thereafter! :killingme
Or was that: every horse-trough thereafter?
The poor bugger would go bonkers in the Euro-Alps with 3 troughs at every street-corner:doh:

Hey....great to have you back. I bet you couldn't wait to finally plant your bum back on a bike seat!:thumbs:

See, I'm not so weird after all! :bs

:whistle:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the words and pics.

So much to see in the Goldfields area, you could spend a half-day or more at many of those little towns and localities.

You got me itching for a ride.

The Lyonsville Mineral Springs - use to go there with Mum and Dad when we were kids, fill up containers with the minreal water, remember swimming one time, not sure if was there though.

The Radio Springs Hotel (Lyonville) - was owned by Ernie Sigley for a while, we were there before him when we did a lot of survey work up there in the early 70's, great counter meals, "home" cooked roast, freshly cooked potatoes, pumpkin, swede, onions, beetroot, oh yummy ........... all for $1:00, didn't worry me though, the boss paid, just like WCC!!

Then there was the night Martin and I stayed at Daylseford, all we could get on this night was a double room - honestly.
:cdle

Top Bottom