PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Snowies/Vic Alps

gco0307
28-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Earlier this year I did a quick tour through the Snowy region and Victorian alps area solo.

Whilst I was planning for a 4 day trip I soon found the fun factor to be off the scale which made it very difficult to stop riding so I ended up doing the trip much quicker than I intended.

So I covered 1864kms in under 3 days of what could be described as pure unadulterated fun on some of the best roads I have ever ridden.

So, what did I think of the roads.

Princes Highway (Wollongong to just south of Eden).
This is one under-rated piece of road south of Batemans Bay. Some really good sequences of corners can be found in short 4–5 kms bursts with the best being around Bermagui and Brogo. However, at times these corners are daunting due to the narrow nature of the road and oncoming trucks but I had no problems with traffic (other than one Canberran who decided he wanted my lane when I was beside him north of Batemans Bay).
On the return trip from Bega, most of the road was wet and I found the grip level to be high but with the traffic levels could certainly see a lot of oil and grease making it an ice rink.
All up, IMO this piece of road is extreme fun in itself with the views and tests it provides.

Mount Imlay Road.
This road is 25km south of Eden and heads to the Monaro Highway and I have to say that I have never ridden a road that has so many signposted sweepers in succession. All the corners are signposted at 75kmh or 85kmh and are very challenging due to the road climbing over ridges.
The surface has been patched in places and is rutted in the direction that you are travelling but is very true. The bike will move around a bit but does not feel unsafe in any way. Despite reports I had heard regarding the behaviour of the log trucks that use this road I did not experience any problems and not once was a truck across the centrelines and all gave a friendly wave.
But this is one serious piece of road. If you like sweepers (and really, who doesn’t) you have to give this road a try out. I covered the full 60kms stretch in under 30 minutes and have no hesitation rating this one of the best roads I have ever ridden for pure fun (at the time it was right near the top but better was to follow).

Monaro Highway.
This was just a transport stage but could be a fast piece of road. It was on this stretch where I came to the conclusion that not all truck speed limiters are set near the 100kmh mark.

Bonang Highway.
For the sake of it, I will call the road from Bombala/Delegate turn-off on the Monaro Highway the Bonang.
From the Monaro to Delegate is some serious fun. It is one sweeper after another up and down hills interspersed with some straights. The surface is very good with no real surprises to Delegate (still think Mt Imlay is more fun than this stretch).
Once at Delegate I would suggest that you fuel up as there is no fuel between there and Orbost another 128kms away. Not just that, but there are no towns but there is a tavern in the middle of nowhere just on the Victorian side of the border.
Ok, so after Delegate the same series of well surfaced fast sweepers continue but be careful as on some of the corners there were little piles of dirt right online which is no fun when hit at 100kmh (honestly) while taking a left over a crest.
Anyways after a few minutes the superb surface gives way to dirt. The surface though remains so good that I was able to maintain a steady 60 – 80 through most corners but certainly not the hairpin. Funny corner, in the middle of nowhere there are huge warning signs and a guardrail but all are much needed. Just found it interesting.
Anyway, hit the border at the Delegate River bridge which is now back in business and the Victorian side is sealed. The surface is a bit so-so in places and there are bumps mid corner, trees so close to the road in places you could touch them as you go past, wildlife and branches, but damn fun. All to soon, the fun is over as there is more dirt as you wind your way down through some dense forest that makes you wonder just where the hell you are. This is still fun but very testing. The road is a series of very tight switchbacks with a loose surface (in parts) with a drop of varying height of the edge and surrounded by trees hundreds of feet high.
After what seemed like 20kms the dirt gave way to sealed tar again. Now this is a serious piece of road and well worth any hype it receives. The surface is much like earlier with bumpy patches but it is a never ending flow of corners that just has to be ridden to be appreciated.
The entire Bonang is one of the most technical roads I have seen and I would suggest that everyone do it at least once (got to try each direction). There are no corner speed advisory signs and only a few corners have any signposting at all. Much of the road is spent winding through trees you get into a flow that we cannot experience anywhere nearby our homes. There are some sections however that are so narrow that two cars cannot get through, but this is only due to some land slips and not design and these are speed restricted to 40kms.
When riding this road be careful of log trucks (apparently although I did not see one) who will use the entire road although all other traffic I experienced (a whole 6 cars from Delegate either direction) treated the road with care. You would also need to be careful of fallen branches, rocks and wildlife (4 dead wombats) but I would suggest that everyone give the road a go.
IMO this is one fine piece of road as I like the type of road where you have to think and observe as to where the road goes and assess how you ride it accordingly. It is not for anyone who likes getting their bike dirty (in that case get to Orbost and only do that end) or who has to know how sharp the next corner may be in order to enjoy themselves.

Princes Highway to Lakes Entrance
Nothing to write home about but Lakes Entrance is a really nice spot to stop for a break.
Once out of Lakes Entrance there is a road signposted to Bruthen approximately 15kms, take it to get to the real fun stuff.

Omeo Highway (Great Alpine Road)
In short, this is really three roads in one and is one hell of a road, a must do even if it means stealing a bike from someone (not that we condone that type of thing).
The first section from Bruthen to Omeo is amazing. Sensational surface with endless enjoyment available no matter what type of road you enjoy. There are sections on this road where it is hard not to smile as you take the next corner and start to bank over for the next and so on. There is a section alongside a ridge with a river on the right and cliffs to the left that is awe inspiring, just constant left/right/left and each extremely well surfaced and very true. The only thing here is to watch for the logging trucks and for dirt on some of the left handed as people cut the corners and bring dirt back onto the road. The last 10 or so kms to Omeo is a bit on the ‘boring’ side by comparison but it does at least allow you to get you breath back. Oh, and be careful of grey falcons parked under trees (thanks to the guy on the blue blackbird)
Turn left at the Omeo intersection and head towards Mt Hotham.
Just out of Omeo the smile that may have started to fade returns as you hit some absolutely magnificent corners that are signposted 55kmh with a very grippy surface. From here to Mt Hotham is just fun, fun and more fun with the early tight stuff giving way to faster sweepers before a few boring straight just before Hotham.
Now, from Hotham towards Bright was the hardest ride in terms of concentration required, and physical effort I have ever experienced. Initially it is reasonably ok as you traverse the top of the ridge with its tight corners that double back with god knows how high drops off the edge. Serious concentration and throttle control required on a surface that looks less than awe inspiring (looked slippery but no slides experienced). This was tiring in itself but that was just an appetiser as you then hit a section of corners signposted no higher than 45kmh (and most either 25 or 35) for the next 10 – 15 kms (at least that is what it felt like). This little strip was simply amazing, corner that actually makes Mac Pass look like eastern creek but man this is some serious fun. The drop down is very difficult and technical but very well signposted (although I think some were overly optimistic) with every second corner being totally blind. The road is reasonably wide but you can see by the road surface that not all people drive it with the care and respect it warrants. Anyway, when you hit Harrietville the tight stuff is over as you head to Bright.

Tawonga Gap Road
About 6 kms before Bright is the turn-off to Mount Beaty, take this road and continue the fun from the earlier roads.
It starts out with a few 85kmh signposted corners as you wind across the bottom of the valley, but the fun starts when you climb the mountain. Tight 45kmh corners with a bumpy but well cambers and grippy surface led to heaps of fun. This was one stretch where my tyres were really tested as it was one of those roads where I felt at home. All to soon you hit the summit and drop to the other side where the fun continues albeit with a bit more care to applying the throttle.

Redbank Road and Murray Valley Highway to Bonegilla.
Well, the less said about Redbank Road the better (turn-off the Keiwa Valley Way outside of Tawonga). Basically I found this the, yes the most boring pathetic piece of entertainment on the whole trip. For a road that gets a good write up I was sadly disappointed.
Simply put, good surface but straight then corner. Another 2 km straight, another corner. Another 4 kay straight with a hill, oh a corner. Boredom.
The Murray Valley Hwy was more fun to Bonegilla but nothing flas, just a plain highway with wide open corners.

Murray River Road
This road just started to get interesting when I struck the Bethanga Bridge that was closed for maintenance. A quick check of the clock and it re-opened in 25 minuets so I decided to stay put, although the water looked good for a swim in the 40 degree heat.
Bridge open and across towards Corryong (take the road to the left off the bridge).
This road is simply awe inspiring. The surface grippy despite it being bumpy in places but man, those corners. It is a long (around 125kms) of sweepers ranging from 55kmh up to 95kmh (signposted) that allowed me to get into such a rhythym that I was at the Khancoban turn-off before I knew it.
Seriously, when the sheer riding pleasure of this road is coupled with the view of the Hume lakes and Murray River right beside it is one experience that must be repeated. This was a strip where much like Tawonga Gap, I felt totally at home as the bike just ate it, chewed it and damn spat it out.

Seriously, this road together with the stretch from Bruthen to Tawonga are the best roads for sheer fun factor that I have ever ridden. IMO many of the so called ‘must do’ roads are shown up besides these roads and I will definitely be back and the sooner the better.

Snowy Mountains Highway/Alpine Way.
After the fun of earlier in the day it was going to take a lot to top the experiences and sadly, this road did not live up to it. That is not to say that it is not a fun road, just that I had been spoilt big time earlier in the day.
Anyway, there is still a lot of fun to be had on this road with its series of non signposted corners that wind the way through mountain and forest. The people that designed, engineered and built this road should all be cast recognised immensely as the sheer feat is amazing to behold. The road is fun, the surface varies from good to dodgy in places but still a lot of fun can be had. IMO it is dangerous in places so respect must be shown but if ridden with care you would have no problems.
Be careful in this stretch (Khancoban to Tom Groggin) as there is some resurfacing occurring and whilst they have some signs up it is misleading. Basically, I hit a piece of resurfaced road with ‘loose stones’ signs and found no loose stones for the next 4 or so kays so found you could wind on a little bit (seriously not that much due to the nature of the road). Then, with no additional signage I entered a right hander and the bike did not want to turn as I was caught in a pile of loose stones. No real problems though as I was not going hard but it did take some reflexes to stop the bike heading at the guardrail and turn it. The next 5 or so kays was extremely ordinary with heaps of loose stones (I found out later that this work would be continuing but they ran out of time to sweep the road so should be no hassles in future).

But that was to Khancoban to Tom Groggin and IMO this is where the road really starts to become fun. From Tom Groggin is bliss with a very good road surface, few bumps and some serious fun corners to test the rider fully right through to Thredbo. From Thredbo to Jindabyne is one sensational piece of road with constant sweepers and a surface that inspires confidence, just be careful of the Emus (last two times I have been there I have had to stop to let an emu cross the road).
IMO the stretch from Tom Groggin to Jindabyne would rate right up there as a seriously fun piece of road well worth doing again and again, just not up there with the roads done earlier in the day.
Anyway, so it was on to Cooma and we all know what that piece of road is like so won’t bother here.

Snowy Mountains Highway
This road runs from Cooma to the Prince Highway just north of Bega and takes in Brown Mountain. The run from Cooma to the top of the mountains is uneventful but when you see the ‘truck uncoupling bay’ you know that something special is about to happen.
Well it likely would have had it not bucketed down overnight and left puddles everywhere which is not good for a road that has a reputation of being slippery at its best.
I will simply say that this is another ride that will be repeated, if only to go uphill and in the dry (no, not really I liked it).
The mountain itself is a series of tight off camber corners with a surface that in parts is breaking up, in other parts is very bumpy and all occurring on the one corner. No, this is a nice piece of road but again one that requires a lot of concentration and care and to be honest, even allowing for the wet road I had a hoot and will return.
Once at Bemboka though the road is a different kind of interesting. It is a series of super fast (if you want) sweepers that undulate with the terrain until you hit the Princes Highway.
Overall this is a good fun piece of road and I will travel it again but explore the region further.

Overall it was a heap of fun and I would say that I found without doubt the best sections of road that I have ever ridden so will undoubtedly head back and hopefully make it a yearly event.

Seriously, though I would suggest that anyone who says they ride a bike for fun must head to these roads to explore themselves and their machines but remember that these roads can bite and most have absolutely no margin of error.

Garry

wobbler
29-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Nice work mate.

I took your advice on the Great Alpine Road and it rained the whole way.

I am holding you responsible :D :D

moike
29-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Nothing to write home about but Lakes Entrance is a really nice spot to stop for a break.
Once out of Lakes Entrance there is a road signposted to Bruthen approximately 15kms, take it to get to the real fun stuff.

OK, next time take the road from Orbost to Buchan, then down to Bruthen, and have a nice lunch there. On any reasonable map. the Orbost-Buchan road shows as a really wiggley line. That should tell you something. (tight, narrow, watch for wombats etc, but rather good fun)

The last 10 or so kms to Omeo is a bit on the ‘boring’ side by comparison but it does at least allow you to get you breath back.

or, if you don't need to get your breath back, take a left at Swifts creek and follow the narrow(ish) winding, swooping road to Omeo. Lots of maps still show it as dirt but it was sealed a few years back.

Last time I went through there I made the mistake of staying on the Hwy and found myself so bored I played a game of "lets see how long I can hold it right on 100K/h". Made it most of the way to Omeo before a slow Holden and an on-coming truck broke my run.
The road brings you out about 2 or 3 Ks down the Omeo-Hotham road. May need to double-back to Omeo for fuel etc.

Now, from Hotham towards Bright was the hardest ride in terms of concentration required, and physical effort I have ever experienced. Initially it is reasonably ok as you traverse the top of the ridge with its tight corners that double back with god knows how high drops off the edge. Serious concentration and throttle control required on a surface that looks less than awe inspiring (looked slippery but no slides experienced). This was tiring in itself but that was just an appetiser as you then hit a section of corners signposted no higher than 45kmh (and most either 25 or 35) for the next 10 – 15 kms (at least that is what it felt like). This little strip was simply amazing, corner that actually makes Mac Pass look like eastern creek but man this is some serious fun. The drop down is very difficult and technical but very well signposted (although I think some were overly optimistic) with every second corner being totally blind. The road is reasonably wide but you can see by the road surface that not all people drive it with the care and respect it warrants. Anyway, when you hit Harrietville the tight stuff is over as you head to Bright.

Yeah, the Harrietville-Hotham road is much much more fun on the way up. That road can look quite slippery at times. I suspect they use a bitumen formulation designed to survive sub-zero temperatures, and it softens a little easily in the summer sun.

Tawonga Gap Road
About 6 kms before Bright is the turn-off to Mount Beaty, take this road and continue the fun from the earlier roads.
It starts out with a few 85kmh signposted corners as you wind across the bottom of the valley, but the fun starts when you climb the mountain. Tight 45kmh corners with a bumpy but well cambers and grippy surface led to heaps of fun. This was one stretch where my tyres were really tested as it was one of those roads where I felt at home. All to soon you hit the summit and drop to the other side where the fun continues albeit with a bit more care to applying the throttle.

Bliss

Well, the less said about Redbank Road the better (turn-off the Keiwa Valley Way outside of Tawonga). Basically I found this the, yes the most boring pathetic piece of entertainment on the whole trip. For a road that gets a good write up I was sadly disappointed.

Simply put, good surface but straight then corner. Another 2 km straight, another corner. Another 4 kay straight with a hill, oh a corner. Boredom.
The Murray Valley Hwy was more fun to Bonegilla but nothing flas, just a plain highway with wide open corners.

Yes, I don't know what the Bear was on when he wrote up the redbank road, but I wouldn't mind trying some under controlled conditions...

<snip lots of good stuff>

After the fun of earlier in the day it was going to take a lot to top the experiences and sadly, this road did not live up to it.

An alternative route from Corryong to Cooma is to head off toward Tumba-bloody-rumba (watch out for kanga-bloody-roos) and take a right at the Eliot way. This road swoops through the foothills of the alps for a time, before plunging into a deep valley (tight, twisty) then just after the Tumut(?) power station, it takes a spectaculat climb up to the alpine road near Cabramurra. The last 10 ks is one of the longest, steepest, tightest roads anywhere. I kinda like it.

After that the road swoops over the high plains to Kiandra, then on to Adaminaby and Cooma. The last part is pretty much like the Jindabyne-Cooma road.

Moike

glitch
29-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Woohoo, what a ride !! Great write-up on top :) :)

Below a few additions to cut out any, if not aall of the "boring bits...
added all up they'd come to the same distance all up, just a slightly different way. All sealed, too.

Princes Highway (Wollongong to just south of Eden).
This is one under-rated piece of road south of Batemans Bay. Some really good sequences of corners can be found in short 4–5 kms bursts with the best being around Bermagui and Brogo.

Agreed.
Turning off the Hwy into Bermagui (across the lagoons), then via sweet twisties into Tathra through coastal farmland, short hop into Bega.

Mount Imlay Road.
But this is one serious piece of road. If you like sweepers (and really, who doesn’t) you have to give this road a try out.

While nice (and damn quick), the turn inland from just south of Bega to Candelo, then up Myrtle Mountain (great lookout) to Wyndham and all twisties until hitting the sweepers on the highlands into the back of Bombala is a real gem (for any corner-hound).

Bonang Highway. (major GLOAT)

Every word said is only half the truth...the Bonang is twice as good :D :D
It's gotta be one of the top3 bike-roads in AUS (IMHO). As mentioned, it's tricky and can easily bite...badly.

Once out of Lakes Entrance there is a road signposted to Bruthen

Coming down the Bonang, go through Orbost onto the Hwy direction Melbourne. Just out of town the Hwy crosses the Snowy River....immediately after the end of the bridge, follow the signs to Buchan. It's the Buchan-Orbost backroad....narrow, often gravelly, tricky and demanding riding on a sometimes single-lane sealed road. Twisties galore. Nice scenery. Then Buchan-Bruthen are fast sweepers ( once joining the NowaNowa-Bruthen Rd, be aware of radar, the road beckons for slightly illegal speeds)

In short, this is really three roads in one and is one hell of a road, a must do even if it means stealing a bike from someone (not that we condone that type of thing).

:lol: :lol: To spice up the ride even more, turn left into the single-laner 4km south of Ensay towards Doctors Flat, a ~15km bypass back to the main road. Same again in Swifts Creek for the ~30km bypass towards Omeo (bypassing the super-quick, "boring" flattish hwy-stretch
before Omeo) Both roads are narrow, tricky, technical...great tight stuff.
It finishes 2km to the west of Omeo onto the Mt. Hotham Rd.

Note...through Omeo on the Omeo Hwy signed to MittaMitta and the first 35km to the Blue Cow pub (where the tar finishes for 32km dirt) are an absolute BAGful of tight twisties and fun galore, worth the ~70km return trip.

Agree once more, why this thing gets even mentioned anywhere is beyond me. It only does as a low-traffic alternative to the Ovens Hwy.

While at it though....finishing the Red Bank, don't turn left at the T-junction towards Albury/ Bonnegilla....but right for the twisties across Lockhardt's Gap onto the Omeo Hwy. Left towards Tallangatta for about ~30km of delightful sweepers and tighter stuff onto the Murray Valley Hwy, turn Right towards Corryong for 10km.
Turn off (north) across the Granya Gap twisties (similar to Tawonga Gap but sometimes more gravelly), through Granya turn R up the Murray River Rd. through Tintaldra, following the signs into NSW to Tooma and Tumbarumba.
More sweepers, more twisties....17km past Tooma turn right onto the Elliott Way, sweepers through bush first, the steep drop into the valley, the dam, the twisties....past Tumut 2 Power Station for the steep climb onto the Kiandra-Khancoban Rd. Right again for the endless twisties past Cabramurra, the 2 drops and subsequent climbs to/from the 2 dams along the way...into Khancoban.

Murray River Road
This road just started to get interesting when I struck the Bethanga Bridge that was closed for maintenance. A quick check of the clock and it re-opened in 25 minuets so I decided to stay put, although the water looked good for a swim in the 40 degree heat.
Bridge open and across towards Corryong (take the road to the left off the bridge).
This road is simply awe inspiring. The surface grippy despite it being bumpy in places but man, those corners. It is a long (around 125kms) of sweepers ranging from 55kmh up to 95kmh (signposted) that allowed me to get into such a rhythym that I was at the Khancoban turn-off before I knew it.
Seriously, when the sheer riding pleasure of this road is coupled with the view of the Hume lakes and Murray River right beside it is one experience that must be repeated. This was a strip where much like Tawonga Gap, I felt totally at home as the bike just ate it, chewed it and damn spat it out.

Seriously, this road together with the stretch from Bruthen to Tawonga are the best roads for sheer fun factor that I have ever ridden. IMO many of the so called ‘must do’ roads are shown up besides these roads and I will definitely be back and the sooner the better.

IMO it is dangerous in places so respect must be shown but if ridden with care you would have no problems.

...and a shitload of fun :)

Jindabyne...., so it was on to Cooma and we all know what that piece of road is like so won’t bother here.

Loads of fun to be had when exiting Jindy towards south (Gelantipy/ Buchan/Barry Way) and after 4km turning left (east) through Beloka and Dalgety. 14km past Dalgety (towards Bombala), turn left for a quick ripper into Cooma. About 25km extra (compared to the Hwy-option), but sweet roads, sweepers/ some tight stuff, virtually traffic-free.
Typical small stuff through farmland. Bare fields with huge boulders strewn around like someone's lost them...

so will undoubtedly head back and hopefully make it a yearly event.

I bet :lol: :lol:

Seriously, though I would suggest that anyone who says they ride a bike for fun must head to these roads to explore themselves and their machines but remember that these roads can bite and most have absolutely no margin of error.
Garry

And again....couldn't agree more.

Cheers
pete

glitch
29-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Damn Moike. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: beat me by 10mins :lol:

moike
29-03-2006, 01:43 PM
That's because you spent 10 minutes longer writing up the stuff I didn't know about.

Moike

glitch
29-03-2006, 02:44 PM
That's because you spent 10 minutes longer writing up the stuff I didn't know about.

Moike

:lol:

Well, the less said about Redbank Road the better

Agree once more, why this thing gets even mentioned anywhere is beyond me. It only does as a low-traffic alternative to the Ovens Hwy.

While at it though....finishing the Red Bank, don't turn left at the T-junction towards Albury/ Bonnegilla....but right for the twisties across Lockhardt's Gap onto the Omeo Hwy. Left towards Tallangatta for about ~30km of delightful sweepers and tighter stuff onto the Murray Valley Hwy, turn Right towards Corryong for 10km.

To stay in the area...here's another little "sweetie"...
Finishing the Red Bank Rd, turn right for the twisties across Lockhardt's Gap onto the Omeo Hwy. Left towards Tallangatta for about 500 meters, then right again (signed to Yabba) for around 35km of sealed, but sometimes gravelly, twisties and sweepers through alpine farmland, parallel to the Omeo Hwy.
Finishes on the Murray Valley Hwy, 100 metres from the Omeo Hwy turn-off (on the other side of the bridge). Traffic? wotzat?

glitch
29-03-2006, 03:56 PM
Gosh, once the leftovers of the old, gray mass start wobbling....

Another nice, but slightly more circuitous bypass of the Kiewa Valley Hwy from Tawonga towards (general direction Wodonga) is from Dederang to Yackandandah (quick sweepers), about 1km before town, turn right to Osbornes Flat/ Allans Flat. Follow the sweepers, twists and turns, turn R at the T-junction towards Wodonga. 7km later turn Right (signed to Kiewa IIRC), right again at the end, dog-legging left through Kiewa and Tangambalanga straight up the Lockhardt Gap.
A few turn-offs in this one, but anything to beat the Kiewa Vly Hwy :D

gco0307
29-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all and I will try to include some of them when next in that area (which will be no later than February 07).

I was aware of the road to Buchan but I was in need of fuel (I only use Caltex/Ampol unless desperate) and couldn't find one around Orbost so just headed down the highway figuring that Lakes Entrance would have one.

Next time I do the trip it will be in reverse so that I can go up the hill from Harriettville and will be trying to find a place to stay (likely a pub) around Omeo/Bruthen to allow further exploring in those areas.

Will post up nearer the date for ideas as well as keepin the eyes open for other similar threads.

Garry

glitch
29-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I was aware of the road to Buchan but I was in need of fuel (I only use Caltex/Ampol unless desperate) and couldn't find one around Orbost so just headed down the highway figuring that Lakes Entrance would have one.

Garry

Garry, you need a V-Strom. This thing runs on the dregs of the most decrepit country servo....or leave the tank-cap open in a thunderstorm, then top up with the previous night's hard-liquor leftovers. Anything over 40proof does the trick (or half a can of Acetone). :lol: :lol:

wobbler
30-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions all and I will try to include some of them when next in that area (which will be no later than February 07).

Next time I do the trip it will be in reverse so that I can go up the hill from Harriettville and will be trying to find a place to stay (likely a pub) around Omeo/Bruthen to allow further exploring in those areas.

Will post up nearer the date for ideas as well as keepin the eyes open for other similar threads.

Garry

Let me know when your going Garry

I am in for sure :D

gco0307
13-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Garry

Garry, you need a V-Strom. This thing runs on the dregs of the most decrepit country servo....or leave the tank-cap open in a thunderstorm, then top up with the previous night's hard-liquor leftovers. Anything over 40proof does the trick (or half a can of Acetone). :lol: :lol:

Well just to restart this old thread I should mention that I now have a WeeStrom.

Basically, the ride done in February got me thinking, what with all the dirt roads etc just how much fun wa available so I just took my time and got hold of an 2004 Weestrom with 2000kms on the clock for $8000. Seems a bit high to some but original owner, books, bars, huge top box, radiator guard, hand guards and bark busters etc etc, so a good price. And whats more, he let me test ride it for 500 kays including about 200 of dirt.

So, with the Weestrom I will be back in a few months to check many of these suggestions.

Garry

whitey
13-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Well just to restart this old thread I should mention that I now have a WeeStrom
Garry
Congrats on the new wheels and thanks for restarting a thread I hadn't noticed before. It's added a few more roads to my to-do list. 8)

glitch
14-12-2006, 02:22 PM

Well just to restart this old thread I should mention that I now have a WeeStrom.

Basically, the ride done in February got me thinking, what with all the dirt roads etc just how much fun wa available so I just took my time and got hold of an 2004 Weestrom with 2000kms on the clock for $8000. Seems a bit high to some but original owner, books, bars, huge top box, radiator guard, hand guards and bark busters etc etc, so a good price. And whats more, he let me test ride it for 500 kays including about 200 of dirt.

So, with the Weestrom I will be back in a few months to check many of these suggestions.

Garry

Heeeyyyy :D :lol: :lol:

Congrats to the new steed. Sounds like a good deal to me considering the extras !! Happy Stromming...and until a fortnight ago I would've said : see you in the Snowies over X-mas/ NY...but with the things the way they are at the moment... :shock: :cry:

gco0307
16-12-2006, 04:30 PM
Heeeyyyy :D :lol: :lol:

Congrats to the new steed. Sounds like a good deal to me considering the extras !! Happy Stromming...and until a fortnight ago I would've said : see you in the Snowies over X-mas/ NY...but with the things the way they are at the moment... :shock: :cry:

Well myself and Wobbler (maybe others not sure yet) will be heading that way in February to retrace and find new roads.

Hopefully, by then the fires are out and that not everything is blackened.

Garry

glitch
17-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Hopefully, by then the fires are out and that not everything is blackened.
Garry

....doesn't look that way now, but who knows...