PDA

View Full Version : Scottoiler.. the travel test(s) trauma

iffracem
26-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Had a couple "bursts" on the Cat over my extended Easter-ANZAC break.

After I got the scottoiler installed the first decent trip was a solo run up the guts of Tassie thru Bothwell up past the Lakes and down thru Poatina before heading west a bit to a mates place in Sheffield. Weather was forecast as a bit of rain clearing to fine and 15... that'll do I thought!!.

Uneventful but pleasant up to the "plateau" between the lakes, then it got overcast, then it bleedin' SNOWED!!! :shock:

By the fark it was cold, I stopped just before the downhill twisty bits to re-gain some feeling in my poor fingers, thought about taking some pictures.... but NO BLOODY WAY was I gunna take those two pairs of gloves off!!, instead I wrapped my hands around Mr Yoshimura's friendly warmth. Two large ice molds of my shoulders slipped to the ground, I then proceeded to call myself every stoopid insult I could muster.

Anyways, quick check of the chain revealed Mr Scott's oiler was working, but only really covering the outside links of the chain, no "splatter" or fling apparent on the rim/tyre.

Again.. NO WAY was I gunna remove gloves to open the seat up & adjust it. Got back aboard the cat, which by this time was starting to complain about the lack of temperature via icing up carbies.

Every so slowly I gently descended towards Poatina, all the time thinking how square and nearly bald that back tyre was :? Advisory sign said do one corner at 15kph.. LIKE HELL I WILL!! More like 15 metres per hour.

The usual loose gravel flung all over the road was actually frozen to the surface, surprisingly effective grippiness in what could have been a nasty few places. My tyre however didn't appreciate the help, it ended up being quite badly cut in places, this I discovered after a welcome coffee and hot sausage rolls at the Poatina shop, bugger! Ah well, the sun was now well and truly fired up, clouds were disappearing everywhere except the lakes, so I adjusted the oiler, fired up the cat and very sedately headed for Sheffield, thankfully incident free.

Seeing it was Sunday, no-where was going to sell me a tyre, so I stayed the night in Sheffield. Next day dawned beeeeuuuutiful, so into Devonport to moto-kawasaki and a noo tyre. Winner!! they'll fit it straight away, while I headed into the mall for a stack of pancakes with maple syrup and hot chocky mmmm mmmm!.

Bike was ready when I returned, quick check showed all looked ok, reset the scottoilers "injector" as it was moved in the act of replacing the tyre.

Thanked the man by transferring some hard earned from my pocket to his till, and headed home the way I came.

I'm going to spend more time up there, the roads around Sheffield are wonderful, the scenery incredible, I reckon you could spend two weeks riding around that area and not be bored once.

Photo's? again sorry :oops: I was either too panicked about a tyre that could burst at any time, or having too much fun on an even better handling bike with a round tyre instead of square. :roll:

Anyways, it was a totally different trip home, no problems, nice weather... at least that's what I thought :x

Got home late-ish on Monday after what was supposed to be a Sunday day trip (and dropping in to see Art at Joe's for a quiet one). Quick check of the scottoiler revealed the "injector" plastic nozzle had disappeared :shock: It's only a small piece of black, hard, vacuum line that drips oil directly on the chain/sprocket, but without it, the oil just blows out into the wind... BUGGER. The chain did look well lubricated still, but again, more so on the outer links. Too tired to muck about, turned the meter to off to stop the oil and went inside to a welcome meal. (note, I didn't look at anything but the scottoiler)

Next day was ANZAC day, and like a good ex-soldier, it was up at 4:00AM, quick check of the tyre pressures, and straight down to the Hobart Cenotaph. Excellent service, clear skies, I feel honoured to be in Aussie and living the legacy of those wonderful ANZACs.
Met up with three other riders, decided on a late breakfast in Swansea, up the east coast.

But wait.... whats that??

Why is there only one nut on the right hand adjuster screw?

Why is my right hand swingarm end plate pretending to be a propellor??

B@ST@RDS!... seems the nuts weren't tightened properly, luckily the axle was tight and was still straight and tyre/wheel in line. Out with the toolkit, nipped it up, made sure all was OK.
Got to Sorell, stopped so some could get petrol and a coffee, rechecked, still tight.

The run up to Swansea was good, just cruised along at an easy pace, late breakfast overlooking Freycinet NP was sublime, good company, good food, what more can anyone really want?

I was feeling buggered tho, lots of riding with a bit of extra unwanted stress added in. Decided to go straight back the way we came. LAke Leake will still be there next time I'm up this way :wink:

Got home around 3:00pm after a very relaxed pace, to be greeted with the news a friend was giving away 350 house bricks for free, but we needed to pick them up today :shock: Bugger, two trailer loads of bricks and associated loading/unloading later, and I went to bed, thoroughly knackered, but very content.

Does the scottoiler work?

I'd say a reserved yes.. but I still need to have it running PROPERLY a bit longer to get it really metered correctly.

And Yes, next time I have to have someone else remove the wheel to replace a tyre, I'll be doing a much more thorough check. I usualy take the wheel to get a new tyre put on, saving $ in labour, and I know it's all set up OK.

JJ

farawayman
27-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Uneventful but pleasant up to the "plateau" between the lakes, then it got overcast, then it bleedin' SNOWED!!! :shock:

I know! I know! It did that to me a couple of weeks ago. :P

The usual loose gravel flung all over the road

Sorry about that, will try and do better next time. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great read yet again JJ
keep it up

glitch
27-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Nice one !!
Reminds me of picking up the Peg from it's first 1000km service half a century ago....(that's what it seems like, anyway).
Getting home after 15km I found one front-axle clamp bolt gone, the other one hanging on it's last thread in a 20deg angle .
With the Peg, the axle head is a spacer at the same time and NEEDS the clamp-bolts nipped up for it to not just be a loose axle-pin.

The day I started my own servicing again....(NOBODY screws-up but I !!)
Jeez...how'ya going now, Frosty-Boy?

iffracem
27-04-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm fine 8)

Both adjuster nuts/bolts have lo-strength loctite thread lock on them, I'll be making some "lock-tab" style washers as well.

Reckon I've clocked up around 1,500k's on the cat already, it's one comfortable bike :D

I just gotta stop and take more pictures tho.....

JJ

art_tas
27-04-2006, 06:17 PM
[quote="iffracem"]
But wait.... whats that??

Why is there only one nut on the right hand adjuster screw?

Why is my right hand swingarm end plate pretending to be a propellor??

Wowsers! JJ you were glad you looked then. I wondered were it not for the missing injector would you have even looked that close?? What do you do??? I have found a few things "post service" as well. Like a clutch cover screw winding it's way out of the m/cyl before my eyes within 3 km of pick up and yes the fluid was changed. There have been other things as well worse than that. Glad to hear Anzac day ride went well - it was a top day down here. We were at Lenha Valley - good turn out there but alas no ride as I also needa tha new hoopa (that's italian for I need to part with $$ for black round jiggers)

1,500Kms - time to trade her in ;))

iffracem
27-04-2006, 07:50 PM
(that's italian for I need to part with $$ for black round jiggers)

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Does your wife know about that disgusting habit?
And please, enough of the racist remarks about slightly overweight negroid lasses

:lol: :lol:

No bloody way... she's a keeper this one!!
Almost as well behaved and nice to me as my darling wife....

almost as nice to ride as well........

art_tas
28-04-2006, 06:32 PM
(that's italian for I need to part with $$ for black round jiggers)

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Does your wife know about that disgusting habit?
And please, enough of the racist remarks about slightly overweight negroid lasses

:lol: :lol:

No bloody way... she's a keeper this one!!
Almost as well behaved and nice to me as my darling wife....

Hey...stop putting spin on my innocent expressions you nasty man...!!! :wink:

almost as nice to ride as well........

nev
28-04-2006, 08:49 PM
[quote=iffracem]
I have found a few things "post service" as well. Like a clutch cover screw winding it's way out of the m/cyl before my eyes within 3 km of pick up and yes the fluid was changed. There have been other things as well worse than that.

I got home from a 2000km 4 day trip before I discovered that the dealer who serviced the bike a couple of days before I departed had disconnected the front brake light wiring from the front brake light switch and hadn't reconnected it.

..and speaking of not stopping... another time, another bike and at another dealer - a couple of days after a service the screw holding the accellerator cable at the carbie end came loose leaving only the spring loaded return cable attempting to stress test the rev-limiter. Fortunately for me it occurred at about 80kph in 3rd gear so caused a few seconds of confusion but nothing I didn't have time to think about and rectify.

iffracem
30-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Wot is the world coming to? :roll:
If you want it done right... do it yerself :wink:

Anyways, I'm glad to report the Scottoiler is working well.
Oil has "migrated" across to the inner plates, and it looks nice and clean.

Two small issues (that I have, not everyone would agree).........

1. Placing the oil line along the bottom of the swingarm means the line gets crushed by a "paddock stand" if you don't have "bobbin" style lift points. (whuich I don't)

2. The "injector" hose seems to flexible, it can easily me knocked to a less ifficient spot, or miss the sprocket/chain totally.

I intend to fix both in one hit, by replacing the feed hose where it travels along the swingarm with either aluminium or copper pipe fixed to the outside face of the swingarm, and using smaller guage copper/aluminium pipe for the "injector"

JJ

nev
09-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I have a scottoiler tip. The Scottoiler oil holder thingy holds about 50ml, which is good for about 2-3000km. My last trip was almost 9000km, which raised the question of how to carry extra oil when travelling. Last time I did a long trip I stood the scottoil bottle upright in the topbox, which worked ok, but it meant that I always had to be careful of everything else in the topbox not tipping the bottle over etc.

The Scottoil manufacturers also make a long distance touring kit addition with a remote reserviour which requires further installation, probably loss of underseat capacity and about $50.

I came up with my own cheap compromise. A Worcestershire Sauce bottle (Holbrooks brand). Available in 150ml, 250ml or 500ml size. Its available at just about every supermarket. It's made from glass so its not going to puncture and leak unless you really pursuade it to (and in which case it's probably the least of your worries), it's got a lid which seals really tightly and stays sealed, it has a little plastic bung in the top which lets you pour it at a very slow rate and the 125 or 250ml size can be bought for about $2.50 from coles.
I just used the 150ml bottle, which gave me about 7-8000km extra chain oiling. It's the perfect way to carry a quantity of topup chain oil in your luggage. Remove the plastic flow meter to remove the worcestershire sauce and wash and then pop it back in when the bottle is full of oil.

This worked well on my last big trip. I just made a small funnel out of a sheet of paper and some duct tape when a scottoil topup was required.

roundman58
09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
If you need or want to replace the flexible fed line with a sturdier option, visit a refrigeration mechanic or spares supplier and get some copper capillary tube. It comes in various bores, so talk to who ever you buy it off to find out which bore would suit your application.

iffracem
12-09-2006, 08:32 AM
yep, thats the go.

I'm holding off on the feed line as our fridge is nearing its last gasp... not too much strain during winter here, but summer may just mean a replacement.

then.. ooodles and ooooooodles of coppery capillary heaven :wink:

roundman58
12-09-2006, 11:54 AM
The bore and length of capillary tube determine its flow rate. So it may pay to play around with it before you fit it to your bike to determine the best options for your situation.
The longer the capiilary tube, the slower the feed rate. So hence, the shorter the capillary tube the quicker the feed rate.
Do not try cutting it with pliers as this will only restrict the opening more than it already is. Use the edge of a fine file to file one side of the tube and the snap the tube. If you have an oxy-acetylene tip cleaner set, use it to clean up the opening after using the file to clean up rough edges. :idea:

Hytram
12-09-2006, 12:04 PM
I came up with my own cheap compromise. A Worcestershire Sauce bottle (Holbrooks brand). Available in 150ml, 250ml or 500ml size. Its available at just about every supermarket. It's made from glass so its not going to puncture and leak unless you really pursuade it to (and in which case it's probably the least of your worries), it's got a lid which seals really tightly and stays sealed, it has a little plastic bung in the top which lets you pour it at a very slow rate and the 125 or 250ml size can be bought for about $2.50 from coles.

So... how does the Worcestershire Sauce go as a lubricant?

mh
(who is thinking of getting rid of the Loobman and pay the bucks for a Scottoiler....its just to hard)

iffracem
12-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Seeing there's a bit of interest in the scottoiler again, some thoughts of it's value over the winter commuting and riding just passed.

I THINK IT'S BLEEDIN' GREAT!!!!

As per the destructions, opened up the feed a tad to get a wee bit of "fling" happening, this keeps the chain wet, and the water doesn't get a chance to stay on the chain.

I check the chain tension and condition at every wash (weekly or fortnightly) and so far hasn't required any adjustment at all, and has not required cleaning either. I've done ~10,000 k's since fitting the device.

I would reommend the "double injector" tho, as the inside of the chain is noticeable driver, but hey, it's not effecting it at all and easy to knock up.

I reckon it's worth every cent.

JJ

iffracem
12-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a scottoiler tip. The Scottoiler oil holder thingy holds about 50ml, which is good for about 2-3000km.
The Scottoil manufacturers also make a long distance touring kit addition with a remote reserviour which requires further installation, probably loss of underseat capacity and about $50.

The latest "extra capacity" bottles come in two flavours... BBQ and Sweet chili... No no, that's not right ....

Ah yes, here it is.... an external flat resevoir that is designed to sit between the number plate and bracket (pommie plates are a fair bit bigger than ours it seems) and a long flexible tube contraption that can be snaked almost anywhere.
Good to see they're still thinking about the fitting, not just resting on their laurels.

I use throw over bags on the cat if doing more than a day trip, all the maintenance crap goes in one side, travelling gear in the other, clothes on the rackbag, so I don't care if a little oil gets lost. Besides, wrapping the bottle in an old plastic bag catches 99% of the leakage.

but wostershire sauce is yummie, so I might just have to go and try the idea anyway :wink:

JJ

winaje
10-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Hi all. New here, great site.

WRT to Scottoiler oil: The genuine oil is pretty expensive. Buy chainsaw bar oil instead; you should be able to get it for about $15 or less for 4 litres. Works just as well.

I used a Scottoiler with bar oil for about 80000 kms on 2 courier bikes in Melbourne over 2 years, and found it to be fantastic.

Iffracem, when you make up the copper tubing add a spiltter and run 2 nozzles, one for each side of the chain. Although it seems that the oil is migrating, it's heaps better for chain life if you run the oil to both sides.

Hope this helps.

iffracem
10-01-2007, 05:17 PM
yep, I intend to do just that, the inside of the chain is noticeably drier than the outside where the feed is.

One of the first guys I met up here in bikiniland is a fridge mech :D All the copper pipe I need, inc different ID/OD for that perfect application.

Thanks for the tip re: chainsaw oil, I'll give that a go when this lot runs out.

JJ