Tornanti_2...Three Weeks Of Carve Till Ya Barf!!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Kaput, finita, basta, pizdec - tomorrow I'm going to see my GP to get metadone or whatever they prescribe to addicts!

Each and every shot deserves front page in the Geo!!!

And a small personal touch - it's about how really small this world is - the story with a blue Dniepr with a sidecar... Bila Tzerkva (literally White Church or White Cathedral) is a lovely sleepy town that I've crossed quite a few times during our traditional summer trips to the Black Sea. Surely that guy haven't chosen the most reliable means of transportation; a pushbike would be my choice (easier to carry across the barbed wire on the border)!

:bs Hope the quack you saw today had mercy with you...and prescribed another 3 days of this.:bt:bt

Just upped the next lot of pics...and busted the 1400 mark.

Re the Dnjpr...saw it standing there in '07...and always went past. The road is very narrow, hard to find a spot to park the bike and not block traffic.

I'm glad I stopped this time...what a story!!:so:so

S

skyskippy

now is weekend and a have a lot of fine time with this picturebook für big children

S

skyskippy

Cardigans! Socks with sandles and thongs! Thermal pants with shorts over the top?

You really were soaking up and embedding yourselves in the European atmosphere. :p

That's only a trainingdress for artists, but for swansea I thing Tim has to practise a little big more.:D

:bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
That's only a trainingdress for artists, but for swansea I thing Tim has to practise a little big more.:D

:bs

That shot was after the coffees at breakfast...should've seen him after the beers at night!!:eek:

He took the house down :so

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh maaan…this is hard to take.
icon_doh_.gif

ANOTHER SPARKLER!!
2thumbs_up.gif
2thumbs_up.gif

Exactly what we need for the planned Andermatt rollercoaster….and a possibly yoghurt-raid of the Meiringen Dairy.

Marty’s nicked off an hour early to spend the day at Lake Brienz and the Swiss Military Airshow….I’m sure he’ll come out with a little story and at least some of the breathtaking pics.
glubsch.gif

Down onto the valley-floor first…

T2_1237.jpg

…taking the old road through Wassen to Goeschenen…the sign to the Goeschenen-Alp triggers a snap-decision…let’s go up and have a look.

YEEHA!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

T2_1238.jpg

T2_1239.jpg

T2_1239a.jpg

T2_1240.jpg

If that doesn’t get you going... nothing will.

T2_1241.jpg

T2_1242.jpg

T2_1243.jpg

T2_1244.jpg

T2_1245.jpg

Yet another one of those little pockets, that comes from nowhere… totally unexpected.

Perhaps we should come back later when the sun’s higher in the sky, flooding the whole narrow valley with brilliant light…

T2_1246.jpg

T2_1247.jpg

T2_1248.jpg

T2_1249.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The roads are still fairly free of traffic, the short run past Andermatt and west towards the Furka Pass is quick.

10mins later the next lot of fun begins…and the views turn from awesome to gob-smacking!
drool.gif
drool.gif

T2_1250.jpg

The look back…Andermatt in the valley-bowl, the hairpins of the Oberalp Pass above the town, climbing into the saddle.

T2_1250a.jpg

Let’s keep climbing, eh?

T2_1250b.jpg

T2_1251.jpg

T2_1252.jpg

T2_1253.jpg

T2_1254.jpg

T2_1255.jpg

Across the top

T2_1256.jpg

What a RIPPA, MATE!!
icon_party_.gif

T2_1258.jpg

T2_1257.jpg

Zoomed…the Grimsel Pass hairpins to the lake up the top…
We've only got to drop down the Furka, 50m of flat valley floor…then up THAT one!!

T2_1259.jpg

T2_1261.jpg

What else is there of the Furka?

T2_1262.jpg

T2_1263.jpg

T2_1265.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
….and that’s EXACTLY what the place does to you…
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif

T2_1264.jpg

The high peaks of the Walliser Alps in the background….the main ridge of the Alps rising to 4800m about 80k’s further west. Imagine a line along the peaks…the other side is Italy again.

T2_1266.jpg

T2_1267.jpg

T2_1268.jpg

The famous Belvedere Hotel at the mouth (well, sort of, nowadays) of the Rhone glacier.

T2_1269.jpg

T2_1270.jpg

Up the Grimsel Pass…and a look back to the glacier, or what’s left of it.
mad.gif
Only a few decades ago, the ice had to heavy itself over the top lip of that rock-wall…

Some friendly locals at the top of the Grimsel…the marmot, filling its belly before the long winter-sleep.

T2_1273.jpg

T2_1274.jpg

T2_1275.jpg

It’s quite busy up here today…must be the blue skies!

T2_1276.jpg

T2_1277.jpg

The other side of the Grimsel…. well, the top-part anyway.

T2_1278.jpg

The lake is another piece-of-the-puzzle of the extensive hydro-electric scheme around the area.

The little time-regulated Lake Oberaar Rd. is too inviting to miss… it’s certainly worth waiting the 20mins until it’s our turn.

T2_1279.jpg

T2_1280.jpg

T2_1281.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
T2_1282.jpg

T2_1283.jpg

T2_1284.jpg

T2_1285.jpg

AWESOME, innit? Absolutely awesome!!
slobber.gif
slobber.gif
slobber.gif

T2_1288.jpg

T2_1287.jpg

T2_1286.jpg

T2_1289.jpg

T2_1290.jpg

T2_1291.jpg

…and another one of those chance meetings…she’s from Slovenia, works in Innertkirchen (down the road), speaks a few languages, looks dead-cute…and sits on that VTR like being born on it.
spoton.gif
spoton.gif

….and I forgot her name.
icon_doh_.gif
icon_doh_.gif

Hey cutie, if you read this…nice to have met!
icon_beerchug_.gif

T2_1293.jpg

Gotta go back…our time-window is closing.

T2_1292.jpg

T2_1294.jpg

It’s a nice tootle down the Grimsel, it’s not a demanding road unless you really hammer it…and there’s too much traffic for that.

A little delay in Innertkirchen, they’re building a new bridge….the ensuing road-works section is perfect to nip past 10 cars or so on the gravel…

Across the little saddle into Meiringen…I corner-mark while Tim goes ahead to find the Dairy Shop.

Closed for lunch!!
banghead.gif
….so we’ll get into town first, the Bakery/ Chocolatier is open though…..

Oh Mama….look at that!! Makes you weep, doesn’t it?
drool.gif
drool.gif

T2_1294c.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Let’s quit the moping and RAID THE BLOODY DAIRY!!

As we discovered in ’07, it’s a stand-alone dairy that produces all their own stuff.

Any imaginable dairy product from raw-milk to aged cheeses…and all from local product only, none of this Danone or Nestle garbage we get drowned in at home.

When it comes to dairy products…their stuff is pure DYNAMITE!!
clap.gif
clap.gif

Don’t like dairy-products?
Stiff shite! Go and suck a thumb.

…and wouldn’t you know it?? Yoghurts are on special!!

T2_1295.jpg

We park the bikes in the sun outside…then storm the shop in all the bike clobber, scaring the 3 sales girls into silence.
icon_demon_.gif

T2_1297.jpg

….and ONE of those!!

T2_1298.jpg

Tim’s stash!! YES, only HIS!!
wot.gif

T2_1299.jpg

T2_1303.jpg

As we all brought our breakfast-teaspoons along….better come prepared and well-organized!!...this is the result after the 5 mins in the forecourt of the shop:

T2_1300.jpg

…then things get serious!!

Moike and Dave didn't really know what to expect….but, like everyone else, keep trudging through the door every 10 mins to grab another “favourite”....or 3…

The 3 girls have gotten over the initial shock and start giggling every time the door opens, and another “biker” making a beeline for the yoghurt and quark shelves.

And then the cheese!!
drool.gif
drool.gif

I’d die for THAT cheese counter in Melbourne!

T2_1301.jpg

T2_1302.jpg

In the end we have to quit slobbering that delicious stuff into our gobs…buyanother stash and CAREFULLY pack it into the topbox/ tankbag for later.

Up the Susten Pass then…and from the sensations for the taste-buds to the feast for the eyes…

T2_1304.jpg

T2_1305.jpg

T2_1306.jpg

T2_1307.jpg

T2_1308.jpg

T2_1309.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Whadda ya reckon, mate….do this every day for the rest of our lives?

Ask me something easier, ya nitwit!!

T2_1310.jpg

T2_1311.jpg

The descent down the other side is like dropping into a pot of gold….the late sun paints the mountains golden, the road a narrow, black band….

Back into Wassen and the Goeschenen Valley.

T2_1312.jpg

T2_1294b.jpg

T2_1294a.jpg

Time to check out that local church just down the road….yep, the one with the bloody bell that makes you stand up in bed by 6am!
icon_devil_.gif

….which, of course, turns out to be yet another place with a few centuries of history. IMPRESSIVE!!

T2_1313.jpg

T2_1314.jpg

T2_1315.jpg

T2_1316.jpg

Our friendly host doesn’t mind clogging up her fridges with bags full of Meiringen yoghurts for us…
cuddle.gif

T2_1317.jpg

T2_1318.jpg

“For service, please ring!!

PUSH HARD!!”
bs2.gif

T2_1319.jpg

T2_1320.jpg

We could do this ‘till the cows come home…

T2_1321.jpg

Later, the wind starts whistling around the place…. a solid bank of high clouds blankets out the stars…

Top Bottom