The Alps west of Austria - looking for small roads

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Hi Pete, was your stay in Lanslebourg during tornanti_3? I might have missed that fact.

Did you try some gravelroads around Mount Cenis?

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
When I came down to Lanslebourg from Col Cenis it was enough time for a quick ride into Val Bellecombe. The road leaves the D1006 5 km west of Lanslebourg to the North. This road is a real gem :slobb
Unfortunately the road ends on a parking area and from there you can hike the rest of the tarmac. No pics from the ride but a video, which I shot 3 km before the turn around.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LUSZKCbyCaE7tfYDA

And some G..le pics.

5Um04rz.jpg

08OYRjr.jpg

And then back to the hotel for dinner.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hi Pete, was your stay in Lanslebourg during tornanti_3? I might have missed that fact.

Did you try some gravelroads around Mount Cenis?

Lanslebourg was....T1, I think.
Looked around mainly towards the east of the lake, Fort Roncia and some little pass to the south-east of it along a narrow dirt road, pretty steep at the end but in good, fairly smooth , condition.
Forgot the name...it's a short name.

Val Bellecombe?
https://goo.gl/riYcpo

Looks nice :)

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
My hotel in Lanslebourg, the Relais des Deux Cols, has a garage for bikers. Yesterday Katie shared the place with two dirty ATVs.

When I came there this evening the company has changed two wonderful Austin Healeys 3000 were already in. I love these old British roadsters.:glu:glu

YVK9DP6.jpg

A group of Brits were driving their roadsters over the Cols. Outside was the rest of the fleet: a Healey 100, a Lotus and a Porsche Cabrio. They came on their wheels from England.
8OAUfbb.jpg

ys5OXhA.jpg

Today I had no exact plan where to go.W-) First idea was to drive some km west and then try to go south into the small valleys and try drive as far as possible.
sfYD5rq.jpg

First try in Bramans was stopped by road works. Next one was not very interesting. Ok, nothing good, let's change plans. I go for the Col du Galibier.:thumbs:
HYm8x5x.jpg

oJBXD0T.jpg

6m2vbvz.jpg

An old Volkswagen came roaring up with a blue oily banner behind him.:bs

retvl2U.jpg

Weather is perfect!
2iS8DSB.jpg

MV54ewi.jpg
:clap::clap:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
When I came there this evening the company has changed two wonderful Austin Healeys 3000 were already in. I love these old British roadsters.:glu:glu

YVK9DP6.jpg

:slobb
nice !

...and so are the shots of the 990 "in flight" :)

I'm looking forward to any from the west of Bardonecchia.
We all loved the Vallee de Claree and the little Col de L'Echelle....as well as the mother+son Pizza restaurant in Melezet will never be forgotten.
Didn't make it to the far end of the Vallee Etroite....

Didn't have enough dirt-experience for the Col de Granon on T1, made it up to the little restaurant and things were pretty rocky/ slippery down from there.
Looking forward to the pics :chug:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Galibier was perfect. The two photos of me riding I bought in the internet. Maybe you know already, but for me it was new. There are photographers up there. They take photos of cars, cyclists and bikers, :photo: you check their website and decide if you buy a portrait of yourself.

Next is Briancon, then direction Bardonecchia. Garmin and me had a misunderstanding.

That's why I didn't came through the Val-des-Prés. I went through Montgenèvre and arrived finally in Bardonecchia.

The road to Rochemolles where Stella Alpina takes place and from where they try to conquer Col de Sommellier is also closed until 5 pm due to road construction.

Everywhere road works :evil::evil: I think they start on 1st September when Italy and France have finished their summer vacations.

Until 5 pm there is time to look around. West of Bardonecchia just after the border to France is Vallée Étroite. I drove until the Parking area and had something to eat in the nearby restaurant. The valley is not that interesting.

Y01lqR1.jpg

Much more fun is the Col de l’Echelle / Colle della Scala :glu

especially the North-East ramp!

Further on the Valee de Clarée. At the end where tourists have to turn you are only 9 km away from Col du Galibier as the crow flies.

LVr5O5h.jpg

PxtL6bk.jpg

When I was back in Bardonecchia I checked into the hotel opposite of the police headquarters. They offer a big garage for bikers.

By now it was 5 pm and started to rain. Grrrr!:mad::mad: But that should not stop me, perhaps it's dry around the corner :killingme
I passed Rochemolles and continued on a lousy gravel road that has experienced the whole summer traffic.

no pic from me but Goo.. has it all
ak4Pn0h.jpg

For me it was clouds when I passed the last hamlet

o0dNlLP.jpg

Finally I reached Rifugio Scarfiotti.
Fvjq65a.jpg

bz3kDiN.jpg

X03VP3T.jpg

During Stella Alpina it looks like this
BGeqXqO.jpg

or like this
dN6oor1.jpg

It is five Euros and then you can try to conquer Col de Sommeiller.
58Z1eje.jpg

Not for me this time. I turned for the sake of my dinner and a glas of red wine .....:scull:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
:gday:
Wow - awesome! :glu
When I took these two fotos out of my window in Hotel La Betulla I knew I was to late. In such a beautiful morning you have to be out earlier to take everything in.
sRsYs0q.jpg

fsjGNwq.jpg

L1Yaa70.jpg

From the boss of our senior Enduro rat pack in Austria I got the message: Go up to Jafferau young men! So I started up the hill past the hamlet Gleise and stranded at the Hotel Jafferau where some ski lifts meet. No way further after yesterday evenings rain.
Some pics just above Gleise with it's new hotel.

eJcxKTC.jpg

PXrlcnU.jpg

FuwFmep.jpg

Let's go to Susa again and up Colle delle Finestre. The ramp up from Susa is first class on tarmac in the forest and later on gravel as well! :woot::woot:

Xpt58t1.jpg

Just before the gravel a 15 min walk takes you to a vista called Monumento Sacro Cuore di Gesu. It's worth the time. :wow::wow: It offers a fantastic view down to Susa, opposite you see the area around Mont Cenis.

6j3YFYX.jpg

nVFTXVT.jpg

rjuBqZD.jpg

dKYE4zV.jpg

Down there is the bike and the saddle of Colle delle Finestre.

qYAIBYk.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom