Berlin or Dust - I went for the Dust!

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
All tracks were locked in the Garmin, so I was ready to guide my Austrian friends to the Baltic Sea. The following year we met in Lübbenau.:glu

This is the team: Barbara, me and Peter.

zIcsAbK.jpg

In the evening before the start it was time for briefing.:chug:
oN9uRJw.jpg

The track to Usedom and back until Finow.
Nyk4viB.jpg

I slept in a very interesting hotel, that was my room. If you ever come into that area, try it. don't be afraid of the trains most of the rails are locked.
https://www.pension.spreewelten.de/
Vent5Ac.jpg

First stop was Straupitz, we did some pics on the main street.
XBCCB5i.jpg

zRMlFjl.jpg

Typical boat for carrying their guests through the canal system.
0Ein4Ny.jpg

eR24TCF.jpg

Come on let's move, Peter wants to carry on.:endu
N17cZO1.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
New was Straupitz at the north end of the Spreewald. This small village has a church, which easily could serve a town of 15.000

Strange looking thing....like they decided to just quit finishing the spires and keep it right here. Or someone came along and sawed off the tops overnight.

There's a tiny church in Gurtnellen-Dorf near Wassen/ Andermatt/ CH with a chopped-off spire like that. They did finish it off with some peaked dome and cross, but it's totally out of proportion to the rest of the building.
https://goo.gl/VDzAS8

Same place as the first time, only the other side of the gate
4G1awDB.jpg

:eek: what is an Egyptian statue doing at the Spreewald?
Lots of strange stuff around that area, by the looks of it.

Hey Pete, you were in Stralsund! We could have made a dirt tour from Stralsund to Berlin!:woot::chug:

Maybe next Sept? :)
Looking at some rental bikes in either Stralsund or Rostock at the moment, but they only seem to have roadie-stuff.
I'll keep digging.

You've got some sweet pics there...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
...passed settlements where most of the people went west to towns where is more work or simply more "life".
Glambeck...they stopped the normal bus service, she has to take the school bus to get to the next town. :(

3HkXp3S.jpg

Any idea what that tower is/ used to be?
It looks to be neatly restored...
But yeah, we saw a lot of small towns along the Luebeck-Stralsund corridor of country-roads last year that started with a brandnew curbed and smooth-top roundabout followed by the old communist cobble-stone rollercoaster through town, past totally dilapidated and abandoned houses next to beautifully restored old period buildings.
The contrast was baffling.

On the other hand you come along massive buildings like this chateau and you ask yourself: Who was so weird to build such a castle in the middle of nowhere.

w8qqMd6.jpg

It might be one of the pre WW1 summer-residences of the rich coastal trading families of the Hanse-fleet (the Baltic coast isn't that far?) which was sort-of kept afloat and used by the Commie-Party hobnobs?
Those families owned huge tracts of land as well as the local folks + villages as virtual slaves right into the 1930s.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The track to Usedom and back until Finow.

Nyk4viB.jpg

Just a stone's throw away from the Polish border for the whole way?
Good to see you had some company there, too.
How long was the whole route? (one way)
How many days ?
(considering a lot of stops, an easy pace and lots of photo-taking).

Did you trailer the bike/ bikes to the Spreewald again for that last, 3. ride?

Thanks for a great read! :clap::clap:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Just a stone's throw away from the Polish border for the whole way?
Good to see you had some company there, too.
How long was the whole route? (one way)
How many days ?
(considering a lot of stops, an easy pace and lots of photo-taking).

Did you trailer the bike/ bikes to the Spreewald again for that last, 3. ride?

Thanks for a great read! :clap::clap:

Hi Pete,

north of Neuhardenberg up to Chorin it's quite near to the border.

It takes two days with a lot of stops. With R. and also with Barbara and Peter it took us two days. A nice place for the night is Chorin.

For the 3. ride I trailered it for sure not to Spreewald, cause I wanted to do some exploring in the afternoon, I think it was Müncheberg where I parked.

By the way Barbara and Peter are in your backyard in the moment. Tasmania somewhere https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1560025610808951&set=pcb.1560033944141451&type=3&theater

Last edited:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Maybe next Sept? :)
Looking at some rental bikes in either Stralsund or Rostock at the moment, but they only seem to have roadie-stuff.
I'll keep digging.

You've got some sweet pics there...

That would be something!:thumbs:. Got your PM.

Renting a bike in that area is probably not that easy. But one has to try.

I have some more pictures of the small tower. I will put them into the 3. run.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Renting a bike in that area is probably not that easy. But one has to try.

With a little luck we might be getting somewhere.:so

Found a little info about that cute, little tower (the Pigeon-Tower)
http://www.glambeck-schorfheide.de/glambeck2a.htm

https://goo.gl/ZboHBr

Seems that the local blueblood was given rights to possess and use pigeons (for communications), therefore the "Pigeon Tower"/ nest.
(my granddad had 20-30 pairs of homing pigeons for 30 years and was part of the pigeon holders-scene/clubs/ competitions etc)
I rather preferred them fresh out of the oven to scraping the shyte and stuff out of their nesting boxes (which then went in with the seeding potatoes)
or trying to lift a nesting bird from the eggs to replace them with the plaster variety for "population control".
Too many in the hatch and the males start fighting over nisting boxes!

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Ok let's move on from Staupitz to Neuhardenberg.

But wait - there is something new which I discovered the day before. The river Spree comes out of the Spreewald heading for Berlin and there is the watergate Kossenblatt. Where we had our next break.

9QsuKtb.jpg

Nice place for relaxing
efy2OIB.jpg

But Peter was not operating at full capacity so we had some exercise for him.:killingme
vS0gCeW.jpg

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
I you are hungry or just like good food, you should stop in Bad Saarow at the famous railway station and walk into the restaurant BUEHNE right beside the station.

rD5zcWw.jpg

If you think that is to noble, then go out on the terrace and have a tasty meal. It doesn't matter if you order fish or musrooms.:glu
Lhzvdii.jpg

IiHDFjs.jpg

UTRisTu.jpg

Finally we made it to the manor house in Steinhöfel.

NuUb9do.jpg

...where Barbara at once took over the business.

UjaZvJ1.jpg

We found the "Street of Friendship" "Straße der Freundschaft". A term that was loved in the former GDR and a good motto for us.:chug:

7IPm5Ww.jpg

Last edited:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
On the next leg it was definitely wet. :lol:

CjNZtAJ.jpg

RjatJOu.jpg

We passed a soldiers cemetry for the young russians who lost their lives far from home.

Cllzgop.jpg

Then nice two track cruising. :woot:

TR3urTf.jpg

... and we made it to Neuhardenberg.

n6HNs0q.jpg

Nice place to have a drink ....

jvLC88q.jpg

lMTO5Hy.jpg

Now it's time to speed up ....:woot:

6VCV3hV.jpg

..otherwise it's too late for the important pic in the evening sun.

zIcsAbK.jpg

Spent the night in Chorin with friends.

dLwVmut.jpg

A nice place for the night. http://waldseehotel-frenz.de/

Last edited:
Top Bottom