Whroo (and d'oh)

a86

Getting the hang of it
I had somehow achieved ignorance of the Longwood ride, but with similar attention to the weather forecast had already decided to investigate Whroo.

Whroo is the remnants of an old gold mining town, the only thing approximating a tourist attraction in a vast featureless expanse of box/ironbark forest.

It is also where some nuff-nuffs recently decided to stash a stiff that they wanted to be rid of, rather than choosing the featureless expanse.

I started out by going to Tallarook, then heading east.

P1020309_zpsjijxoata.jpg

Bassets Lane.

P1020310_zps9xkajcli.jpg

Sneaking around the back of Pucka.
P1020311_zpsjp4dolre.jpg

An oddity at Costerfield.

P1020312_zps7ayhwipy.jpg

Back of Goulburn Weir.

P1020313_zps1mt1rrau.jpg

Whroo cemetery.

P1020314_zpsgtd4bduz.jpg

None of this stuff remains.

P1020315_zpsgsew5cry.jpg

This is not a mine tunnel, as such. It is more a "We put the processing plant on the wrong side of the hill" tunnel. And that actually is the light at the end of the tunnel there.

P1020316_zpsmvkfxpyl.jpg

An excellent rustic shed.

P1020317_zpsja8jxjpf.jpg

Potential for renovation.

Partial track here: http://my.viewranger.com/track/details/MjU5MjE1OQ==

John_Johnny

Long Timer
It is also where some nuff-nuffs recently decided to stash a stiff that they wanted to be rid of, rather than choosing the featureless expanse.

I'd never heard of Whroo until that murder. It was on my radar after hearing about it. Same with Whorouly. Always bypassed it until it became a crime scene. Must be too many episodes of Columbo and Law & Order, not to mention Matlock, Division 4 and Homicide.

Those old sheds and house ruins are cool. One of these days.... bike tour stopping to take a pic of every falling down shed, hay barn and cottage.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
:clap: Nice ride Max :)
Great pics and commentary. I love derelect old things and their local history :) (not to be confused with my mother in law)
Those ruins are cool.
I,m pretty sure I went through Whorouly on our Eskdale jaunt ;)
Cheers Paul n Dixie

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
P1020315_zpsgsew5cry.jpg

This is not a mine tunnel, as such. It is more a "We put the processing plant on the wrong side of the hill" tunnel. And that actually is the light at the end of the tunnel there.

:eek::eek: That's some solid barrier!
Some years back, one could actually walk through all the way "to see the light!!"

Nice, little area there, aye? Did you have a chance to have a look at the "new" (repaired) Kirwans bridge?

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/03/02/3153067.htm

Might have to make that another winter lunch ride, methinks...

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Might have to make that another winter lunch ride, methinks...

I'm up for any ride to Whroo. Love that old mining stuff!

BTW, ever seen that giant gold dredger abandoned near Eldorado? Amazing how they just cut through the creeks and destroyed absolutely anything in between the moguls and the gold.

a86

Getting the hang of it

BTW, ever seen that giant gold dredger abandoned near Eldorado? Amazing how they just cut through the creeks and destroyed absolutely anything in between the moguls and the gold.

Not aware of one near Eldorado. I remember one somewhere in the general vicinity of daylesford where the dredge in its travelling pond with a dragline walking in front appeared to have got to the main road and just stopped there. Anyone remember where that one is?

Hytram

<-- now went that way
Now all this sounds really interesting, might have to do some digging (pun intended) around

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Giant dredger?
When I was a kid, the coal-pits near Cologne had at least one of those each!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2I0Zw3BYvo

The companies and government shifted entire towns constantly and continuously for decades, autobahns were re-routed and rebuilt, trains and trams reconstructed etc.

6.6 m3 per bucket, 240.000m3 per day

When they DROVE! it from one coal pit into the next a few years ago, they closed an autobahn and the Cologne Airport for 3 days.

a86

Getting the hang of it
I have seen a photo of where one of those has accidentally ingested a CAT D7. The D7 is on its side on the conveyor looking like a matchbox toy.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Can't find my Eldorado dredger pics so I pinched these off my daughter's facebook page...hence the pose. :killingme

This gold digger (dredger not daughter) has radiation warning signs and cages. Must have used some diabolically dangerous extraction methods!

It's on the Eldorado- Byawatha Rd about 3k West of Eldorado.

Let us know if anyone's riding there as Johnny is keen to pan some more gold!

Top Bottom