April Fools Day Kerrisdale Railway

John_Johnny

Long Timer

^This is Colin on his newly acquired R1100RT. ^

April Fools Day and by the end of this story you will see just how appropriate that is!

Johnny and I left Benalla this morning and met Nev at the Yea BP. After programming Nev's GPS with Col's address we headed off for an exciting ride to the Kerrisdale Miniature Railway. Somewhere I saw Glitch post some great pics of all the machinery there, so I was keen to see it in the flesh.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

On the way to Yea (hey! that rhymes) we crossed Lake Eildon at Bonnie Doon. I was singing "We're goin' to Bonnie Doon, we're goin' ta Bonnie Doon!"
Johnny was happy the intercom has a switch. He wanted more Supertramp and less Dad.

I stopped for a photo of the empty lake. As a kid my summer holidays were always at the Bonnie Doon caravan park. Water skiing, fishing. Not these days! Sad. :(

Quiet now. Love the serenity though.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Colin took us to a reserve/sports ground place called Strath Creek Falls. Nev was happy to hit the dirt roads. I sat back and ate dust!

The grounds keeper rocked up on his quad bike. After a bit of chat about bore pumps and watering systems he was sure to tell us about his group accommodation deals and how "bike enthusiasts" like us were welcome. Looks like a nice place to stay so keep it in mind.

He had some long stories about why the Strath Creek pub was still closed. Something about owner vs leasee and council stepping in with both sides losing out. We shall ride past the pub for a look.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

A picture says a thousand words but there was only one word on my mind and it rhymes with duck.
The website says open on Fridays. "Trains run @ 1pm." Didn't notice the bit in brackets.... "(phone bookings only)".

So I'm the April Fool. Sorry guys.
Nev went home. I hope he's not too cross. Colin and Lorraine continued on with us to Benalla and I cooked them some pizzas. 4 x BBQ chicken and 4 x Supreme with salami, capsicum, olives, jalapeños etc. Had to be quick to get some before the kids!
So although it was disappointing to find the railway closed, it was still a great day. Great windy roads, (as in bendy not blowy), around Flowerdale, great scenery, great bikes and great company. Looking forward to the next ride.

PS and BTW... How do you write "windy" as in a long windy road without it looking like "windy" as in blowing a gale like Mount Somers.

dougman1

Part of the furniture
PS and BTW... How do you write "windy" as in a long windy road without it looking like "windy" as in blowing a gale like Mount Somers.

It's a bit like having a "ROW" with the missus.
Sometimes the lake is calm enough to get the dinghy out!
You have raised an interesting point all the same. And the answer is......W-)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Arghhh!!
If you would've called them right there and then, there might have been a good chance of them just being locked away in the shed doing some maintenance or something...and happy to see a few faces come up the drive.
W-)

Next time!

Top Bottom