Wirrealpa Murmurings

farawayman

Long Timer
I heard some faint murmurings from the Ulysses Club about a place called Wirrealpa Station in the Flinders Ranges, so I booked me a place. And seeing the Flinders has had a good washing since Doug and Eivind have been up that way, I figured it would be safe enough. (see http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6212)

I set off at first light and in the rain.
First stop Muirchison Gap

BIy4Dxr.jpg

Breakfast at Maldon

0Tm5bAp.jpg

Someone's got a great cubby house

YdOTVqu.jpg

8PPbNWn.jpg

My original plan was to take the Murrayville track from Nhill to Murrayville but there has been some rain in the area in the last week ranging from 50-130mm. I was unsure of its condition so I went and looked at grain silos instead.

nJKSuGX.jpg

YQvKAST.jpg

G2JBUfn.jpg

XJxOGEg.jpg

farawayman

Long Timer
These small towns in the Mallee are really suffering

hckD9lx.jpg

OxWohwC.jpg

Spent the night in an over priced room at the Karoonda pub getting in after dark.
The highlight was the rats disputing your aim while using the toilet at 3am.
More to come

farawayman

Long Timer
Got up with the sun and snuck out to the dinning room for my complementary breakfast but nothing but a mess was left, something to do with the very drunk rats that went to bed about 1.30 I guess.
No use hanging around here so I hit the road. The map said it was dirt but it wasn't.
The ferry was waiting at Walker's Flat

I4DRuJy.jpg

NkQfoNW.jpg

3S7TtwI.jpg

A surprisingly nice ride between Sedan and Nuriootpa sorry no pictures having to much fun.
Time for a break at Wilmington.

Hancock's Lookout

uLsdsOh.jpg

Seeing I was there I did a quick lap up and down Horrocks Pass a great bit of road on a bike. Named after our unluckiest explorer, shot by his camel. Look it up!

Surveyed in 1879, Hammond once had a population of 600. The town was planned with four terraces surrounded by parklands. It had 3 churches, a butter factory and a farm implement factory. After 1882 the railway ran through the town on the way from Peterborough, through Carrieton to Quorn and onward.
Now it is a ghost town at the end of a long dirt road. It is a wonderful place to visit.

hCJlLvA.jpg

7Pqp6KR.jpg

hzGpoiA.jpg

knkKmAI.jpg

z9mqhnU.jpg

9Tl1n1i.jpg

VvZUhy3.jpg

wro3Q26.jpg

CGQtUIV.jpg

9BsSmum.jpg

6GGd52Y.jpg

More to come

farawayman

Long Timer
Getting late in the day and was heading off to find a bed for the night and saw a local farmer checking water for his stock. Asked him if there was a shortcut to Quorn. He pointed me in the right direction and then said you might as well have a look at the township of Bruce. The railway station is for sale if you want it.

Tt4lasK.jpg

iInBrji.jpg

1jCq6rl.jpg

Headed out got within a 4-5km of the highway, late in the day, I come across this . . .

jqJkiHe.jpg

What would you do?

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Sheep Hills Pete

Just googled it...the place isn't exactly bustling :doh:

Getting late in the day and was heading off to find a bed for the night and saw a local farmer checking water for his stock. Asked him if there was a shortcut to Quorn. He pointed me in the right direction and then said you might as well have a look at the township of Bruce. The railway station is for sale if you want it.

What would you do?

Go back to Sheep Hills...at least they USED to have a pub there.

The railway station looks like a proposition....who lives in the only other building in "town"? (or the next 100 miles around)

Top Bottom