Family Affair...Northern Germany Impressions (no bikes)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Not a bad spot for a feed...and barely 100m from the Old Town Walls....

Germany_17_0047.JPG

The pride of (West-) German Oceaneering and former "naval school ship", the Gorch Fock (short Wiki here)

Germany_17_0048.JPG

Germany_17_0048a.JPG

Plenty of "birdsnests" for some "Pirates Of The Baltics" yarns.... :D

Germany_17_0049.JPG

The new bridge to the island of Ruegen...and the old one, raised for naval traffic.

Germany_17_0050.JPG

The "Klabautermann"...the germanic sailor's sea-monster, curse and bearer of bad luck and disaster.
:D Nowadays making a nice tourist-Dollar at the Stralsund harbour-side.

Germany_17_0051.JPG

Despite a monstrous meat+salad roll at the Stralsund Bakers an hour ago, there's no way past another of those seafood-pimping cutters at the harbour, this one with his own smoker-oven going at the back of the boat.
The smell alone just makes ya dribble the Niagara Falls!!!

A "fish-roll" turns into some smoked KingPrawns and a good half-kilo skewer of smoked salmon...:doh::doh:W-)

Germany_17_0052.JPG

Just tell me you wouldn't touch that...and I know yer full of it...to the brim!! :so

Germany_17_0053.JPG

Makes your eyes water!!

Germany_17_0054.JPG

Hardly able to move now, let's waddle up those narrow lanes into the Old Town again...

Germany_17_0055.JPG

Local "Domino" delivery-hacks...gives new meaning to "pedalling their shit" :devil: :bs

Germany_17_0056.JPG

You reckon it's all banjo's up here?
Add a squeeze-box and guitar then...

Germany_17_0057.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Back to the Stralsund New Market and some sunshine away from those narrow, dark lanes.

Germany_17_0059.JPG

Looks harmless, hey??
Lemme tellya....there's a beer-cellar below those timber doors!!!

Germany_17_0060.JPG

There it is, the end of a 2hr. stroll around the Old Town and harbour areas of Stralsund.
I'm sure there's a hell of a lot more, we also didn't take any pics inside that massive old-school book-store we had a look at, nor the Old Town Council Chambers with it's semi-open vaulted ceilings and, and, and... it really is a stumper of a place. :drool::drool:

Our last day starts like all the others we've had up here...first light turns into greys...and clouds, before the sun fires up and paints those incredibly moody skies....the intense squawk of flocks of cranes turning the skies alive....

Germany_17_0061.JPG

Germany_17_0062.JPG

....as the soil is tilled and the birds dive for the spoils....

Germany_17_0063.JPG

It's somewhat frightening how fast this place gets under your skin....

Germany_17_0065.JPG

Over + out
:gday:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Half litre of the local pils for $AU3.77 :) When do we go ?

:chug: ...and that's the restaurant price.
Buy a crate of 10 half-litre bottles at the local supermarket for $AU~8.50.
Or the more main-stream stuff for about 10-12 bux @ crate of 20x0.5l.

Goodie's going for a week, at least, either before or after next years' Balkans ride...tossing the dates and details at the moment.
It's an out-of-the-way destination for bike-travel....but LOADS of tiny single-laners (sealed and gravel) around.
Trying to make contact with the guys who run this German bike travel mag, at the moment...they're based up there and I'm holding their issue 82 in my hands at the moment.
Maybe there's some contact re: rental bikes/ routes/ ideas etc in there...we'll see.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Nice yarn and pics of some pretty interesting places there Pete, thanks for sharing.

:glu

:gday:
Certainly places I wouldn't think off as "primary motorcycle destinations" (and still don't), but most probably best seen by the local transport modes of pushie + hiking boots.

While at it (as someone asked), the Mazda was booked through AutoEurope @ AU$842 for 20 days unlimited k's and full comp insurance with AU$1050 excess.

We declined the excess removal insurance option as the excess was covered by travel insurance.
A manual would have been cheaper by AU$110 for the duration.
(they still mainly drive manuals over there).
Considering that a DR650 is gonna cost AU$100/ day in NZ soon (and THAT'S mates' rates!!), that Mazda6 was a total steal!

That 2.2l Diesel had some surprising mumbo, the engine-auto-stop was disconcerting to the end, tank-reach about 1000km @60l capacity with mixed urban crawl + mash-the-firewall cruising near top whack.
Diesels now have the "DIRTY"-tag in Europe and buyers are actively discouraged to buy 'em.

M

micky m.

I'm originally from Poland, so all that's making me a bit homesick
Haven't been back since '85

Appreciate the stunning photography, though
Central Europe is so different to Oz

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I'm originally from Poland, so all that's making me a bit homesick
Haven't been back since '85

Appreciate the stunning photography, though
Central Europe is so different to Oz

Yo, plenty of stuff to gaze and wonder at...to me it was a first.
Last visited the area (and Goodie's family) around '75 or so when the Iron Curtain was still up and we only had a permit for the shortest route between the inter-German border and her granny's place.
Turned into a trip through Germany-in-the-'30s... with the occasional watcher up the bum to make sure we tracked straight.

Would love to see more of it....

Top Bottom