The Alps west of Austria - looking for small roads

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
:gday:
So I slipped through the tank traps into France. Heading for Saint-Point-Lac. But before I had to look for this chapel, which stands at the edge of a small cliff.

K0XmtN4.jpg

kPnINIU.jpg

Saint-Point-Lac
UwRWgtJ.jpg

Next is the small town of Pontarlier. This area is famous for Absinthe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe
But there is also a big Nestlé industrial compound in Pontarlier producing chocolate. Which you can smell while passing it.

Now the road follows the river Doubs. The Doubs was quite dry, don't know if it is like this every summer?
EuhuAfU.jpg

z88C2tW.jpg

Probably it was not always like this becuse the Doubs carved out these walls.
VlBOGwA.jpg

Don't know for which little bugger this donation was for? In Norway they have the Troll, who is your friend if you leave some donations. Probaly bikers left this donation to get help from someone, so the police is not picking them for speeding.

France has recently limited the max speed on roads to 80 km which is an insult for the French Biker.
qfnG0A3.jpg

Back to the Swiss Jura. The Jura is the core area of watch manufacture. During the next km all the well known names popped up: Longines, TAG, Heuer, Rolex and so on. Some obviously in serious problems others with modern buildings.
bMaeXGl.jpg

Mpe9ndh.jpg

Then came the top scorer of today. :glu

JqdmEPe.jpg

The Col de Chasseral starts at 820 m above sea level climbs up to 1500 m and ends if you want at Lake Biel at 440 m. More or less as a single-laner.
DNsyjCf.jpg

TaFAAFO.jpg

Not the best weather for a vista.
C4V3yrJ.jpg

Lake Biel/ Bieler See
HQREMOo.jpg

F2JasUO.jpg

The rest of the run is motorway. I reached the trailer in Lörrach in time.
Changing clothes, helping Katie up the trailer, 45 min later I was a normal cage driver again.

4u824yr.jpg

Fantastic trip! I have to tell my friends about it and come back.:chug: :thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap::clap:

What a bag full of interesting stuff "on the way out"...I didn't know so many of the old Swiss watchmakers were still around and that they were so concentrated in a small area.
The Chasseral I had read about in the past but around 1000m elevation above the surrounding countryside is certainly serious enough to make it some excellent riding fun.
Overall the Jura seems to be more a pre-alpine/ "foothills" area, rolling hills, soft contours...

Nothing wrong with that, I was stunned by the endless amount of single-laners that Gmaps threw up when doing a quick and random streetview session.

A big THANKS for the story and some sweet pics (and memories to go with it), it's a damn shame it's over already.:(

Greets to Germany's North :gday:

goodie

Thank you for taking us on your ride!!! :bow:
I enjoyed your story and pictures a lot - it took me right back to when we traveled some parts of it about 10 or so years ago, AND showed me some new places. Well done, Mr Zuckerbaron!!! :clap::clap:

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Have to read again! ...... So many impressive pics and good stuff of an exciting ride report through the westalps!!!!:gday:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Thanks again for posting up your travels. :clap:

Looking forward to your next trip. :thumbs:

Thanks for following. Next trip? That will take some time or I have to go in my own archiv. North Germany a dust ride to the Baltic Sea.

l2Ng88B.jpg

:clap::clap:

A big THANKS for the story and some sweet pics (and memories to go with it), it's a damn shame it's over already.:(

Greets to Germany's North :gday:
Yeah it's over already. But it was a nice ride, fine you enjoyed it.:woot:

I think my sister must have a secret admirer

If you think noone is around ......
Next time when I'm there I will take a bigger pic.

Thank you for taking us on your ride!!! :bow:
I enjoyed your story and pictures a lot - it took me right back to when we traveled some parts of it about 10 or so years ago, AND showed me some new places. Well done, Mr Zuckerbaron!!! :clap::clap:

Have to read again! ...... So many impressive pics and good stuff of an exciting ride report through the westalps!!!!:gday:

Thanks for surfin along!!!:chug:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Dragon's Teeth aka Swiss "Toblerone Fence"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_teeth_(fortification)

With Switzerland being the European "safe-heaven" and "loot-stash" of all and everyone
(countries, royalty, industrialists, dictators, churches of all colours, political parties, foreign military etc etc) involved in any war or conflict over the last 200 years or so, they didn't/ don't really need a massive army to protect themselves....they only needed/ need to buy enough time to slow down any would-be-intruder who then would be dealt with by other interested parties that also got their goodies stashed in the same place. :)

All pass roads that could conceivably bear ANY military traffic or supplies were mined in multiple locations with a central "red button" to blow any invasion route, nearly all military supplies were stored in huge tunnels around Central Switzerland (staying near the core of the country)....all other roads through more accessible terrain were blocked by the Dragon's Teeth.

Still plenty of them around, the line of concrete blocks usually extends from one natural obstacle (steep hillside) to the next available obstacle....or an easily defensible narrows.

Top Bottom