Fumina

twowheeler

two wheels are best
I've travelled straight past this sign, on the Icy Creek Road, more times than I can remember over the decades -

Having lived not too far from here as a kid, I’d just assumed Fumina would be a dank hole peopled by 2-headed rednecks, and not worth the effort of visiting.

I've always been curious though, and was proved wrong (again).

Over Icy Creek itself on a single laned bridge -

The road (called Duggan North Road and signed as no-through) winds up through some fairly pristine bush to a ridge -

Where it opens out into some farmland with pleasant views -

Maybe ½ dozen smallish farms are scattered along a couple of kms of road, including what perhaps is a Bio-dynamic farm as it had lots of Bio-cautionary signs up -

The road narrowed and split into Schoolhouse Road (Wikipedia confirmed there used to be a school here, and post office, where in 1921 the post mistress and step-daughter were shot by a deranged local with a stolen shotgun. They both recovered and the step-daughter went on to marry the bloke who owned the gun. The shooter, who thought he was a bushranger, was sent to a lunatic asylum) -

Pressed for time I turned around here. When I got home though and checked out the maps, I reckon Duggan North Road would eventually join up with Rowley’s Ridge Road and could be taken to Tanjil Bren. Not that I'd attempt that on my own.
Glitch I know you and some others rode Rowley’s a couple of years back.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I too have looked at that sign many times. I must take the time to have a look.

Ditto.
I nearly turned up that road about 2 months ago. Now I am going to have to next time I'm in the area.

You did well riding the GS across that bridge without ending up getting wet.

31178462094_a8492f35a0_b.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The road (called Duggan North Road and signed as no-through)
Where it opens out into some farmland with pleasant views -

Pressed for time I turned around here. When I got home though and checked out the maps, I reckon Duggan North Road would eventually join up with Rowley’s Ridge Road and could be taken to Tanjil Bren. Not that I'd attempt that on my own.
Glitch I know you and some others rode Rowley’s a couple of years back.

:drool: Some neat shots of some bewd countryside there :clap:

Another one here who always went past that turn-off!

That Duggan North Road seems to morph into Simpsons Rd. somewhere along the way (and that's using Google Earth, so it looks promising).
I remember the intersection of Simpsons/ Rowleys Ridge well....up in the plantations on one of those bare clearings, overlooking the felled areas to the north. Up there, Simpsons looks decent enough for a 12 or so....and checking Sat-view, Simpsons winds out of Fumina past some buildings (farms?) to the intersection....I think it's worth a shot and Rowleys is easy enough either way (north or south...Blue Rock Dam or Tanjil Bren).

Let's set up a Sat or Sun for a poke around up there....even a good half-day is enough, throwing in a cuppa at Noojee...:thumbs:

Hmmm,

Explore Fumina and surrounds with a Mexican Parma ("3rd best Parma in Vic, best Parma in La Trobe Valley") at the Outpost for lunch.

How is my calendar looking this weekend?

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
This weekend looks good.

That western end of Vespers, down near Toorongo Valley Road, must be pretty steep if it's anything like the main road ? Might have to put the Karoos on.

Suggest to have a look at that western "entry" on the way out.
Somehow I can't remember another track/ road veering off the main road once past the Toorongo Falls Rd. turn-off.
But then, usually I'm too busy in the twisties to look around.
Remember Danks Rd....we could use that for a loop.

Top Bottom