Dancing with banjos

roscoau

Got a bit on the side
Zoomable map of my route: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100152

This weekend was marked by a get-together by the Australian contingent of Adventure Riders forum (ADVrider.com). This was held at Upper Horton, 60km or so west of Manilla where the banjos can be heard at night very clearly - scary when the call "Squeal like a pig, boy!" echos through the hills!

I was allowed out alone this weekend so I got an early start on Friday and headed up through Lambs Valley, Singo in the drizzle. It'll clear… won't it? Yer, right! I made a detour via Hebdon then Kayuga and Dartbrook and back onto the highway to Wingen where I had lunch. By now the rain had stopped and things were looking up! I slabbed it to Gunnedah with a short stop to meet a local sunning himself on the road - Koala Ken wandered off and returned to his tree while I got soaked again two minutes from town. I grab a room at start drying out…

Next morning it's only 120km to go, but it's mostly dirt. Turns out the road north from Gunnedah through Borah Creek and Mayvale is fantastic and the Ural putts along on 80kph most of the time. Beautiful country! This was one of the best rides I can remember in a long time. Everyone but me was lost obviously since they all passed me going the other way. Off for a ride around the countryside it seems. The camp was pretty quiet when I got there.

Sunday… early start, sitting on 50-60kph - kangaroos left, right and centre. Down to Manilla and turn right towards Somerton and Piallaway to Werris Creek and lunch at Wingen again. Slabbed to Singleton again then off into the countryside for some new scenery. Home, safe and sound. Fiona the Ural ran faultlessly all weekend. Roughly 160km of dirt; boy does she need a good wash!

DSCF0763.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0767.jpg

DSCF0770.jpg

DSCF0771.jpg

DSCF0772.jpg

DSCF0774.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0780.jpg

DSCF0782.jpg

DSCF0783.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

DSCF0786.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0790.jpg

DSCF0792.jpg

DSCF0794.jpg

DSCF0795.jpg

DSCF0796.jpg

DSCF0797.jpg

DSCF0799.jpg

DSCF0800.jpg

DSCF0801.jpg

stevegt738

Tour Pro
the banjos can be heard at night very clearly - scary when the call "Squeal like a pig, boy!" echos through the hills!

I'd be worried what continent I was on :eek:.
Great photos & sounds like a great ride :so.

Last edited:

moike

Old Fahrt
Yeah... she's as green as Shrek but better lookin'... :whistle:
OK, makes sense.
I've never gotten into the habit of naming bikes. I only ever have one, so there's not much confusion.

How are you doing Mike?
Doing good ... apart from discovering that I suck at retiring.... and welding. (My attempted repair of the instrument support bracket created something that looked like steel and worked like cheese.)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
One word: BEWDIFUL!!:wot::lao

Got a customer with a Ural rig...he just finished plonking an R800 donk into it.

Bought as a basket case...and sort of stayed that way for years of fiddling and fixing, gotta give him a call, he promised me a ride once finished.

Top Bottom