'17 NY Lunch_ Mt. Wombat

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks for the ride today Pete, bit of a late finish, but we covered some ground. Looking forward to some decent photos from you and Richard, mine were pretty average. I think I will now have a little lie down after tea.
Cheers
Ian

Hope everyone made it home ok.
As expected, copped a good, quick shower between Glenburn and Dixons Creek after the fuel top up. Squiz was right, the Husky could've made it home with 352k's on the clock and only 13.2l needed to fill it to the brim again I had at least another 50k's to go.
Doesn't matter...roads were dry again by Yarra Glen, so was I by the time I pulled under the carport.

Yo, it got a bit late...but hooray, it was fun!
Gotta check through the pics tonight...

Re: New Years Lunch...Mt. Wombat 1.Jan

The Acheron Way being a portent of things to come later in the day.

Tiger trying to hide in the grass to get away from a flying bug thing

Highly intellectual lunch time discussion

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap:

Shifted the last 2 posts into RR's

Another quick-pic...Squizzy on the Drizzer aiming for the center between the 2 posts marking the creek-bed.

Wombat_006.JPG

The missing pictures

Why did I get the impression I was the ugly fat girl nobody wanted to talk to? :)

Looking east from somewhere north of Alexandra and south of The Maroondah Highway

Glitch was happy he found the Wirraway memorial

and I found a picture of the actual plane that crashed

and Squizzy had to get dressed again after our walk of discovery

I stopped for a pic on the way out of the forest

Looking generally west from Mt Wombat. The Hume Highway is over there somewhere.

Glitch and Dave trying to nicely say goodbye to the warden

and shopping to see if I could see Jacks Falls which Glitch rode right past and never mentioned (as well as missing the turn off to Lima Falls but I won't mention that either!)

Squizzy

Long Timer
The missing pictures

Why did I get the impression I was the ugly fat girl nobody wanted to talk to? :)

I was just feeling inadequate not having ABS and traction control, just trying to decide what mode to select for the area we were traversing.

and Squizzy had to get dressed again after our walk of discovery

Dont know how you guys left your gear on, I needed all the help I could get.

and stopping to see if I could see Jacks Falls which Glitch rode right past and never mentioned (as well as missing the turn off to Lima Falls but I won't mention that either!)

I saw the turn off to Lima Falls as well, but it was getting late and it looked like it was going to bucket down, did not luckily. Maybe Lima Falls another day.

I saw the turn off to Lima Falls as well, but it was getting late and it looked like it was going to bucket down, did not luckily. Maybe Lima Falls another day.[/COLOR]

I have also subsequently discovered its about an hours walk for the return trip from the car park

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
...to see if I could see Jacks Falls which Glitch rode right past and never mentioned (as well as missing the turn off to Lima Falls but I won't mention that either!)

:drool: Speccy shots!!
Actually, Jacks Falls (the way they were yesterday, with quite a bit of water!) are nicer than the Lima Falls.

As Squiz said, it was getting late and the Blackbellies were hanging low in the south....our way home.

But....there's reason to go back for another look, tying a few other bits into it....maybe even make it a one-way-tar-only run to save a bit of time for the scenics.
There are LOTS of other things around the 'Bogies worth looking at...:thumbs:

Still sorting through the pics, somehow managed to get over 50 shots....upping tonight, post first thing in the morning.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Some great pics and interesting route :clap: .

its about an hours walk for the return trip from the car park

Ppffft. Walking-time estimates always seem to be made for 1 legged geriatrics. Halve it for normal people.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Some great pics and interesting route :clap: .

It sure was an interesting route :chug:

Tiger in the mist....Acheron Way

Wombat_001.JPG

Wombat_002.JPG

Just short of the Acheron Gap

Wombat_003.JPG

As always...flip-of-the-weather-coin, the other side of the Acheron Gap.

Wombat_004.JPG

Buxton was still asleep on New Years-morning, not a single soul at the Buxton-Burger HQ.
Into the backblocks then.
Last time that hill had a 2" top-coat of wet, red slime...couldn't even walk down it....and made us turn around.

Nice and grippy this time!

Wombat_005.JPG

Wombat_007.JPG

It certainly felt like NZ-gravel on some stretches...just missing an extra 3" of depth :bs

Wombat_009.JPG

Wombat_0010.JPG

Looking north into the hills around Alexandra....sort of where we're heading next.

Wombat_0011.JPG

Looking back across Alexandra from Fawcett Hill, the town amongst the trees, The Cathedrals as a backdrop, the hills to the right is where the last shot was taken.
Old Fawcett Lane has lost its street-signs at both ends now, only the "No Thru Road" sign remains at the southern end...the north looks like a private driveway now, hiding one of the prime lookouts in the area.W-)

Wombat_0013.JPG

Wombat_0014.JPG

Wombat_0015.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Wombat_0016.JPG

"Wave"-country near Fawcett

Wombat_0017.JPG

The one with the warts....the tree that is, not Squiz!!

Wombat_0018.JPG

Views towards Bonnie Doon and the foothills of the Strathbogies.

Wombat_0019.JPG

The eastern end of Ancona and Dry Creek Rd's have taken a beating by the late storms and downpours, lots of washouts/ deep runnels and tons of leaf-litter, sticks and branches adding to the washed out rocks, sometimes making it hard to find a clear line while climbing up into the Strathbogies.

Wombat_0020.JPG

FINALLY FOUND!! :thumbs::thumbs:
Just short of abandoning yet another search for the blasted thing in the endless maze of logging tracks around the Toorour Plantations, some memory clicked with the layout of a couple of tracks ridden past... all previous signs have vanished long ago bar the last 2 which are within the final 100m of the place. :doh:
https://monumentaustralia.org.au/map

Wombat_0022.JPG

Wombat_0025.JPG

Wombat_0023.JPG

Wombat_0021.JPG

A quick run up Police Rd. and across to Mt. Wombat, running about 1.5hrs late...just to find Dave/ Farawayman/Blydie (just bloody pick one and stick with it, too much to write down each time :bs) chatting with Geoff, the Fire Warden, in his metal-bungalow at the top.
Somehow, it was all like coming-home.
Geoff has been there for the annual fire-period for the last 20 years or so, baking away in the old timber hut without air-con in the old days, cracking lightning strikes a few feet away through the summer-thunderstorms, trying to hang onto his own butt in the howling winds at other times... the only company his little transistor radio with the footy on, the binoculars around his neck and a couple of squaking walkie-talkies.
It takes someone special, methinks...no wonder he likes the odd visitor and knows the annual regulars by face and voice.

No, he hasn't got a problem with his legs :bs
..they breed 'em like that up here.

Wombat_0033.JPG

GREAT guy!! :clap:
If it doesn't work out again this season...we'll be back next year, same time, same place.:bow:

Wombat_0034.JPG

Top Bottom