Golden Dragon Rally 2017

nev

Super Térrarist
I got google maps, and used the distance measure tool to draw a line between home, and the Tarnagulla rally site, and then at each point that the line intersected a road on the map, i put the coordinates into the GPS, so that pretty much (with a couple of exceptions for roads I knew I didn't want to travel on) the route to the rally followed the line. Most of the roads we've pretty well travelled between home and woodend.

Around the back of Hanging Rock,

IMG_0417.JPG

..staying off the Calder through Carlsruhe, into the outskirts of Kyneton to avoid the freeway again, and stopped for an RBT then on our way again, through Malmsbury. Before Taradale turned off the old hwy and follwoed the Dearden Track and Fryers Range Rd, the Old Tower Track and Railway dam Rd which dropped us out onto the Pyrenees Hwy. We stopped at the Cadillac Shack, a US style burger/hotdog diner in Castlemaine for lunch, then out to the northeast. Followed a dirt track along the old railway line which doesn't even show up on Google maps

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

..which took us to the outskirts of Maldon,

IMG_0422.JPG

then out through Nuggetty and Laanecoorie and a few more bush tracks took us right into Tarnagulla.

20170930_212736-ANIMATION.gif

nev

Super Térrarist
Saturday we headed south to Talbot. Mostly dirt tracks down to Dunolly,

IMG_0425.JPG

then this little ripper (I think it was called White Track) through Bet Bet and Bowenvale,

IMG_0427.JPG

..past the Seaham Gold Mine, where my great grandfather worked as a young fellow in the 1870s.
IMG_0429.JPG

Nipped into Maryborough to refuel then out to Adelaide Lead and to Talbot. Lunch at the Talbot Provedore and Eatery was pretty good,

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_20170930_125801.JPG

IMG_20170930_125807.JPG

then some more backroads, dirt and sealed lanes to Majorca,

IMG_0431.JPG

..Carisbrook, Eddington and returned to Tarnagulla.

IMG_20170929_164613.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
Sunday I programmed the GPS to go to Glenlyon Store. Then I proceeded to ignore its direction at every possible opportunity, took some roads which looked interesting,

Laanecoorie Reservoir,

IMG_0433.JPG

..turned left when it suggested right, this time took a road which was on google maps but not in the GPS maps, and after zigging and zagging for a couple of hours we stopped in Glenlyon for an early lunch. After lunch was less interesting, with a sealed route again along often travelled roads to get home in time for a nap :)

And for everyone who has seen The Castle ... I think i know where the Darryl Kerrigan put those gates...

IMG_0435.JPG

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Thanks for sharing Nev. Any pics from Jo (her's are usually better)? How was the Golden Dragon? Weather looked good.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
How good is that?!! :thumbs:

IMG_0427.JPG

Encountered a distinct lack of traffic around them parts by the looks of it.

Top Bottom