AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 27-12-2016, 12:17 AM   #11
MooN
Cruiser

Default Re: 'Twas the day before the day before the night before

great pics Kiwi.

it's always strange to me hearing the words "Christmas" and "summer" in the same phrase.

I SO relate to the "knowing when to turn around" thing. Unfortunately I still haven't learnt that trick yet
Old 28-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #12
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooN View Post
great pics Kiwi.
it's always strange to me hearing the words "Christmas" and "summer" in the same phrase.
Summer, winter....in the end it often comes to the same thing though,
Too hot to ride is the same as too cold/ icy/ snowy to ride...you just don't ride.
As for Xmas in summer...once you get used to plastic "made-in-China" Xmas tress-out-of-a-cardboard box, hung with LED's and tinsel/baubles, it's sort of ok.
What's really missing is that "snuggle-time" stuff of gluhwines, crunchy white stuff underfoot, shaking the snow off when coming inside, changing the moon-boots for felt slippers, the smell of pine-sap and all those other "winter" things to go along with Xmas....cold beer and snags from the barbie just aren't the same.
Old 29-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
MooN
Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Summer, winter....in the end it often comes to the same thing though,
Too hot to ride is the same as too cold/ icy/ snowy to ride...you just don't ride.
As for Xmas in summer...once you get used to plastic "made-in-China" Xmas tress-out-of-a-cardboard box, hung with LED's and tinsel/baubles, it's sort of ok.
What's really missing is that "snuggle-time" stuff of gluhwines, crunchy white stuff underfoot, shaking the snow off when coming inside, changing the moon-boots for felt slippers, the smell of pine-sap and all those other "winter" things to go along with Xmas....cold beer and snags from the barbie just aren't the same.
I've struggled to deal with Frog Christmasses which have little in common with the trad english Christmasses of my childhood. the food particularly is something i miss, snails, seafood and oysters with champagne here, rather than roast turkey, spuds, sprouts, parsnips, etc in the uk as a child.

I've never had so many white christmasses as a kid in the uk though. Bloody frosty out at the moment here (-6c this morning) and snow forcast for monday. cold beer I can do, but Barbies, except the ones the kids got for christmas... are a dim and distant forgotten relic of summer