The Alps west of Austria - looking for small roads

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
So I left the winery in Leytron and headed for the Col du Lein. Climbing up the north flank of Col du Lein I stopped to look for these old trees.

MLuZA7v.jpg

I think these are Apricot trees. Does someone know? I liked the old trunks with the thick foliage very much, would like to have two or three in my garden.

Then I came to a real gem!

jlE0mSq.jpg

http://www.lapleyeux.ch/

Auberge de la Pleyeux is in G...maps noted as Auberge de Sapinhaut. Doesn't matter. the Auberge is perfectly settled in the forest and you have a fantastic sight into the valley and to the direction of the hamlet of Chiboz. I could see the road where I had to turn in the morning due to the road works. The Auberge looks very cozy inside. I would love to spent an evening and a night there, we'll see time will come.

Down there is Martigny and the Rhone turns to the right direction Lac Geneve.

Fuwq1D9.jpg

Over there must be the road block.

zkTs6ID.jpg

I had a snack, talked to the landlord and off to Col du Lein. Up there it is really nice and you can drive even a loop there.

PicgGxr.jpg

vlXpD8u.jpg

Oh my goodness so many cols, don't know which one first. :slobb
p7lLN0Q.jpg

The roads up there have a fine gravel, so you might expect that it is packed with Adventure Beemers or VStromers, but the only bike I saw the whole time was a Swiss Yamaha Diversion.
After exploring everything up there I found a nice shady place at the southern flank, just near the village of Levron. I had to decide where to go to.:cool::lol:

H0JMEPb.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Back to the RR. Weather report for Switzerland was not that good. They said it is better on the Italian side. Ok decision made, let's go for Aosta!

So I Rode up the ramp of the Grand Saint Bernard. Ok these pics have probably seen a lot of you already.

First the Hospiz, my bike is pointing into the wrong direction. If you come from Switzerland you first pass the Hospiz and then you come to the lake.

CClRNVo.jpg

p00I2Ez.jpg

Italy ahead.

TMHg6Xj.jpg

By chance I found the marker for the borderline Italy-Switzerland.

cdk05bH.jpg

Half of that small bridge is already Italy.

PZjoXmI.jpg

I didn't want to stay in Aosta, so I drove to Fenis to look for La Maison d'Amelie.

LmerfWY.jpg

OqfLmF8.jpg

The castle of Fenis from the Pizzeria, where I went to.

omYzw99.jpg

Katie is alrady resting in the private parking of Maison d'Amelie when I came home.:chug:

R49xZNU.jpg

Hytram

<-- now went that way
I didn't want to stay in Aosta, so I drove to Fenis to look for La Maison d'Amelie.

LmerfWY.jpg

OqfLmF8.jpg

The castle of Fenis from the Pizzeria, where I went to.

omYzw99.jpg

[/IMG]

I was only here a few months back, came up from the coast then towards Chamonix with a night in Pré-Saint-Didier, promised myself I would never, ever travel in this area without a motorcycle ever again. So trip booked on for Sept '19 :woot:

the night before we stayed in Cuneo Italy.. a bit of a classic Italian Town

loving the photos and RR :clap:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
I was only here a few months back, came up from the coast then towards Chamonix with a night in Pré-Saint-Didier, promised myself I would never, ever travel in this area without a motorcycle ever again. So trip booked on for Sept '19 :woot:

the night before we stayed in Cuneo Italy.. a bit of a classic Italian Town

loving the photos and RR :clap:

You are right: Cuneo is a classic Italian town! Worth a vist.:D

Thanks for following my trip.

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
I came to Italy to get away from the bad weather forecast. But when I went for breakfast their was drizzling rain. But here was a perfect breakfast offered by Alfio who is super nice.:woot:

COrj6sb.jpg

Alfio has his house in very good shape and I recommend to go there. But be prepared to speak a few words of Italian or French, cause these are Alfio's languages. Problem for me, but we both managed to get along.

So out into the wet. The plan was to go up the valley and cross the Petit Saint Bernard.

3rgODlu.jpg

Before Saint Bernard I wanted to explore the valley Jovencan or Vertosan north of Avise. There is Lo Grand Baou a restaurant and hotel at the end and they said that you come along on tarmac or gravel. Plan was gravel.
But the weather turned not to the dry side. Driving up the Valle d'Aosta the drizzle turned to rain and clouds.

I left the main road for Avise and started into the tornantis. After some km I passed a sign for the vista of the Mont Blanc. First my views ....W-) followed by a picture of someone with more luck.

OJk4ZOj.jpg

zm4olyQ.jpg

fIQeCuN.jpg

In the hamlet Verdun the gravel starts. It was still raining, the first 50 m looked not very promsing, I was on my own on a loaded bike, so I chickened out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom