!!! WE DELIVER !!!!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Just a quick add-on....
Traffic was sparse to absent, holiday crowds, particularly in the Snowies, were just about non-exist (and that during the 2. week after Xmas!!). It's hurting the local economy badly, from the accomodation places right down the line.

We stayed conciesly away from the bush-fire areas, but most roads were open. Closed at that stage was the Dargo High Plains Rd. Dargo-Mt. Hotham and some other roads towards Gippsland.
Many roads have copped damage from the fires, either by heavy vehicles or burning trees dropping onto the bitumen, melting feep scars into it, now the gravel comes out by the bucketfull.

Due top the long dry and the fires, visibility has increased a lot, many stretches are easier to ride, oncoming traffic can often be seen from quite a distance away.

BMW must be making profits hand over fist, the R12GS seems to have become the new bling-mobil , shitloads of them around.

Wildlife/ farm animals are a problem, the only moisture runs off road-surfaces into the trenches/ drainage ditches, the only source of "green stuff" for the critters...never seen that much wildlife/ cows/sheep/ goats along the roads as on this trip.

The oil-dripping postie eventually dropped that habit....after enough dirt the whole rear end was greasily caked in some brown/grey/whitish muck :lol: :lol:

Posties as Tourers?
Well....yeah...not bad at all, actually.
2000km of thrashing the little things pretty much constantly around redline produced some blown globes, a shonky kickstart-lever, some broken cable-ties around the Michelangelo-plywood-rack :lol:
and showed up that oil-leak, no other probs whatsoever. Thanks to Nev here for the tip on the Valve-saver additive to prevent the valves from sticking after prolonged stretches at top revs, the stuff seems to work brilliantly.
The butchered Ventura racks proved invaluable, the self-inflating mattress squeezed between seat and rack made the seat even more comfortable and supportive, no issues there with numb-bums or such after days of riding.

Another appreciated feature is the "handbrake" a small lever locking the front brake lever into the locked position, keeping it from rolling backwards on steep hill starts....
The fresh clutch plates and re-packing the clutch-springs with washers have cured the sometimes slipping clutches for good.

The little thing is amazingly capable, even on dirt....and there's no hesitation left to take it to Cape York next year, a good deal of trust has been built over the last week.
Apart from that....it's a shitload of fun...

art_tas

Getting the hang of it
glitch said:
Stopped at Geehi....but only for the refuel-procedure and a quick walk walk down to the river for a face-splash....never actually camped there.
Pretty vacant lot this time around, hardly any people around.
Good to hear you're enjoying the yarn....

Pete this is all marvellous stuff with the antics/dirt/camping etc etc ...but...tell us how many parcels/letters/postal items did you actually deliver to all these far flung places???;))

Great read...Im sick with jealousy :box:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
art said:
...tell us how many parcels/letters/postal items did you actually deliver to all these far flung places???;))

Every friggin wombathole in the High Country got their mail !! :muahaha:

Hytram

<-- now went that way
glitch said:
And one for Marty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Del052.jpg

hmmmmm.... right back at ya!!
:upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :upyrs: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

this pic sums it up for me.... small trail to the top of the world go nowhere particular

Del109.jpg

Also this one, the postie, it gives you time to stop and smell the flowers

Del123.jpg

top work Pete :wave: :jump: :jump: :clap:

mh

G

gco0307

Thanks for the yarn and pics as for me, it is this type of adventure that epitomises what motorcycling is all about.

Some of those roads and tracks look like they would be a lot of fun to take the Strom through and this story has really given me some ideas so again, thanks for the great yarn

Garry

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
gco0307 said:
Thanks for the yarn and pics as for me, it is this type of adventure that epitomises what motorcycling is all about.

Some of those roads and tracks look like they would be a lot of fun to take the Strom through and this story has really given me some ideas so again, thanks for the great yarn

Garry

Garry
ALL of those roads are a ripper...pretty much regardless of bike. The only stretch I wouldn't take the Strom would be that last stretch of the last day..."the rough bit"....and the following downhiller.
That really was 4WD stuff/ MX-country (and for someone who knows what they're doing, we really were lucky there to not come off).

J

julian

Hi Pete,
thanks for sending me these postie links of yours, great again. How fast are you two travelling with all that gear?
I will have to convince my son to do this type of trip over here in the west.
So you do this type of trip here and then go to Europe and get on big bikes to do the alps, I doubt I could handle the big bikes, only been riding 18 months tho!
regards
Julian :)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hi Pete,
thanks for sending me these postie links of yours, great again. How fast are you two travelling with all that gear?
I will have to convince my son to do this type of trip over here in the west.
So you do this type of trip here and then go to Europe and get on big bikes to do the alps, I doubt I could handle the big bikes, only been riding 18 months tho!
regards
Julian :)

Hi mate
On that trip we managed around the 35-40km/hr averaged...which includes the dirt/ loads of photostops, all the long hills.... 6hrs on the road came to around 200-250km.
Then we squandered time off the bike in between, walking short bits here and there.....an 8/9hr day came to about 230-300km give/ take a bit.
Not much less than what we'd do when on the bigger bikes.

We do all sorts of trips here, hit the search button and check the "out and about" section.

The posties are currently unregistered, but will get re-activated shortly to be readied for the Cape-York ride.

Usually we ride those bikes:
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247

and this one's the next project:
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448
(just for fun and the challenge of doing it, no idea what we'll do with the bike yet once it's finished)

Apart from that , we ride just about anything with 2 wheels, given the chance...

Top Bottom