April-on-a-bike, the Report .....

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Monday 8 to Monday 15 April

Leisurely ride from Glen Innes to Burleigh Heads via:

Excellent roads - New England Highway to Tenterfield and then Gwydir Highway to Lismore. Back roads from Lismore to Pacific Highway and the Freeway.

Seven nights here (old pics from a 2008 trip with Martin, but you get the idea):

Today's distance = 361km

Other keys stats for the week:

Bottles of red x 2
Stubbies of Toohey's Old x 24
Cans of Black Jack & coke x 12
And then I won't even tell what I drank.

Lunch at Oskars on the Beach (best meal on the coast - IMHO) x 1 (that's all I could afford!!!!

Don't go too far away, the best stuff is still to come.

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
Heading west from Wauchope it's fast, then not so fast (lots of twisties - 25km/h corners) either side of Gingers Creek, then very very fast to Walcha.
:):):):)
Lots of Police .......
:(:(:(:(

what are 25km/h corners? don't know them

oh...they :thunon everyone's parade!

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
yes, done 2 years ago, and they are great, but yes u right..better to be slow and safe, then fast and broken..

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Slumming it again....

Helen and I have stayed at Burleigh Surf Appartments many times over the years. Not cheap, especially when just us and children, but when you only get two weeks, guaranteed good weather, close to lots of facilities, etc... it's not a bad package.

We even had a three bedroom, three bathroom 32nd floor penthouse once - around 2009, Plenty of room for three couples, and with the tariff spread three ways, it worked out at $350:00 per couple per week.

Excellent value, more :dollars:to spend on booze!

....damn, it's hard :bees:

Have you got good eyes, intuition, or you just know me too well?

Oh, I am :sick:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Monday 15 to Saturday 20 - the AGM

Helen returned to Melbourne via Jetstar, and then six days melded into one. Could've been the heat and the humidty (28 celcius & 99%), could've been the beer - yep, Mick off-the-leash. Whoo! Hoo!

Mind, I only got drunk once, stayed that way for the six days. Double dose heart and blood pressure pills are precious.

The Piazza & Beer Hall:

Bruce & Burkey

Burkey is a mate of a mate of a mate, and good bloke too.

Bruce we met at the AGM, and is a champ. He is 85 yo, rode his '48 BSA from Gunnedah (around 850km). BSA conked out late on day two of the ride, rather than leave the bike on the side of the road or the bush (some prick might have pinched it), he rolled out his swagged and slept with it, next morning he called for a maxi-taxi with a rear lift ramp, with bike in back of taxi he was delivered to the AGM some $300.00 lighter.

We said bull shit Bruce, so he took out his iPhone and showed us the pics.

An 85 yo, '48 BSA and an iPhone - go figure!!!

Bruce went on with the iPhone a Googled some photos of him and his son in the Sydney Skinny Swim. He assured us that he kept his kit on for the 900m swim - I hope so.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

At times the BAC got low enough, there were plenty of test rides, like Bandit 1250, DL650, FJR1300, GTR1400, ST1300.

I gave the Suzuki boys a good marketing idea and suggested they put up a sign out the front:

Kawasaki GTR1400
They weren't impressed. I said let me finish, the sign should read:
Kawasaki GTR1400 = Suzuki Bandit 1250 plus DL650.

I think it'll catch-on.

Stats for the week - too blurry.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Saturday 20 April

Maryborough to Clifton went something like this:

Late start for Mal (my riding buddy for the trip home) and me after drying and packing tents and squeezing gear in the trailer.

Early lunch at Tiaro.

Then secondary roads, Bauple - Woolooga Road very nice (might add this to the Top Roads thread), Wide Bay Highway, via Kilkivan (nice little town), Goomeri, Burnett Highway, Nanango, Yarraman, start of the New England Highway, through Toowoomba and overnight at Clifton.

Clifton is a town a mate moved to in 70's. George (the mate) called, wrote, called - "you gotta come up a visit". So I did, he was long gone.

We stayed at the Clifton Arms Hotel - twin motel style cabin out the back, under cover parking - $60.00.

Dinner at O'Shanley's Irish Pub was another highlight. Cold pints of Guinness :scull::scull::scull:served up by Paddy (true) and Bridie (not true) and Lisa (true), and a genuine Irish Stew (true).

I take Mal's word on this. He is a chef, worked the world over in hi & lo class establishments. He knows his tucker, and he reckoned this was the real thing. In addition to the stew we got to re-fill the plate as many times as we liked, all for $16.00 a plate. Top value =:dollars::dollars::dollars:

Did I mention the Guinness? In case you forgot.

Mal's the bloke in the grey T-shirt. I'm not sure about the "other bloke" though.

Mal's a good bloke, he looked after the "other bloke" when he got drunk and cheeky, and stopped him getting into to trouble with some of the locals.

And a genuine Iris Pub in SEQ? Apparently there was/is a big Irish community in the area. Although Killarney is a fair bit further south .

Today's distance = 369km.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I gave the Suzuki boys a good marketing idea and suggested they put up a sign out the front:

Kawasaki GTR1400
They weren't impressed. I said let me finish, the sign should read:
Kawasaki GTR1400 = Suzuki Bandit 1250 plus DL650.

I think it'll catch-on.

My my...they should've put you on the payroll instantly.
That'd really scrare the Kwaka-tent....who wouldn't have a B12 with a free Strom thrown in for one of their "Hummers"??

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Then secondary roads, Bauple - Woolooga Road very nice (might add this to the Top Roads thread), .

Was getting all excited when things started this way!!
Then you keep cutting south into the farming flats?
No nicking past home (Kingaroy/ Peanut Country that is) :whistle:

What about the best feature and roads in the whole south-east...the Bunya Mtns?
Then again...road could well be too steep for the "RoadTrain" :bt

Top Bottom