Banditrider's Pootles

banditrider

Long Timer
What's a blog challenge? How does it work practically?

Generally the challenger asks others to blog on something similar to what they have posted. Normally a particular photo or similar subject.

Kimbolton...had to google for that one. Is there a route through the Ruahine to Dannevirke? Would make a nice loop with a few places further south.
Looks like a pretty scenic and quiet area.

Only tramping tracks across the Ruahine's. There are a few roads/tracks that can get you to the top of the ranges - Takapari Road on the Western side gives a good view out towards Danniverke, Woodville etc.

Peep O'Day Rd.....what a name for a road :thumbs:
Good to see the Strom out again where it belongs.

How do you guys go through the winter months....are you high enough above sea level to get snow?

You can get snow on the ranges (I've had it on Takapari road and in Rangiwahia (near Peep O'Day road).

Did get snow here in Palmy a couple of years ago but that's the first time in 20 years for me.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Only tramping tracks across the Ruahine's. There are a few roads/tracks that can get you to the top of the ranges - Takapari Road on the Western side gives a good view out towards Danniverke, Woodville etc.

You can get snow on the ranges (I've had it on Takapari road and in Rangiwahia (near Peep O'Day road).

Bummer....thought there might be some local forestry roads/ tracks to cross the Ruahines (because Gmaps didn't show anything).

@snow...they're really the first line of ranges from the coast, I guess.

Ever been down to the Pahaoa River mouth? Just wondering if it would be worth it (while playing with the maps for another NI ride) http://goo.gl/maps/NZCpK

banditrider

Long Timer
Today's little road ride: http://banditrider.blogspot.co.nz/2013/05/a-pleasant-interruption.html

DSCF1465.JPG

DSCF1470.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Boy, the good, old Queen seems to be having one hell of a birthday bash...last weekend over your side of the ditch, coming weekend over here.

Anyways...nice to see some sunshine, even if only on pics.

Dad's R11 looks schmick. Always liked the 11 before they turned all Buck Rogers style with all the angular bits.

Let's hope you didn't leave the lights on on the Connie, too :bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Just as a matter of interest....what year/ mileage/ condition etc was the BM at time of purchase...and what are the local prices for something like that?

Still like the shape of the thing...

And that loop looks sweet. too...you lucky buggers got just the most amazing riding country right at the front door, regardless of which starting-block one chooses to pick. :lao

banditrider

Long Timer
It's a 2000 model with 50k on it. Owned by an ex engineer. Really clean and well looked after. It is a good looking BM and I reckon silver is "the" colour for them. I really liked the handling. Ride position was ok (sportier than either of my bikes though). I still can't get my head around the boxer though - ridden two now and don't think they're for me. Dad's second R bike - he had an 1150GS a few years ago:

BMW%2520R1150GS%2520001.jpg

He got the S for a bit of a steal as he was looking at a scruffier one with 90+km on it for the same money. It's got all the luggage too.

I think it was around $7500 - not absolutely sure.

Route 52 rocks! It runs from Waipuk to Masterton (about 200km all up). Very rough and tight in places but way more fun than taking SH2. Lots of gravel options heading off in all directions too. Not as much in a storm in the middle of the night - took a good 3 hours that night (on the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge - 1,000 miles in 24 hours).

Top Bottom