Welcome to Boring, Oregon.

thedecepticon

Getting the hang of it
Crater Lake looks amazing. :wow:

I would certainly love to ride America/Canada/Alaska along with a dozen other places however; I have not finished with Aus yet.

Amazing pics, looks like it was a great trip. :woot:

nev

Super Térrarist
Wow, Mt Robson full view. We had to wait 3 days to see it like that!

Yeah, some places were were very fortunate with the weather, Crater Lake, Yosemite, Zion NP and Bryce Canyon, and through Canada, and other places the weather didn't play the game. Teton NP was drizzling and very low cloud, most of Yellowstone NP was drizzling with some rain and low cloud, the road to Old Faithful was closed from the south so we missed out on that because with the detour and the weather it was just too far out of the way, and Mt St Helens was completely covered by cloud. Because we were continually pushing forward we only had one shot at seeing things so we had to take whatever the dice rolled for us on the day we were whereever we were.

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
_NPkBQw5caXUkdR4jetrWMKpJFjl6Uepx1ne-gBHGmDJTfginhZB5lAYbfjzCphDxqoYQ0nw_M5DnnJNa-NFIsRzsYvnNfs1W-K-0oOAuhyz3Pe6IWZg-5oex49Aescl5sCj27Jz9RnfSS3-CwvTefDW3aN0XaxS28eucvYSymroHAZ8OnxePB45kzI3Ko-VNYSsuKOzetsawGaadm3v3tXhNTX29mmCscUHH0BFUXQ6gSc9bV8wOm4czDtIJcZxsxZwcfl9YhJBghUGh8plFI6yCFdvtegBq2aSu-TJQVGmQhxJItEgP0SoZE7w-ncdmjeGv7oinjRkiJYDHBLfdbNRHHTQNMi3nhNbvyr-_YnmBKBRJVsLcMpuLGgklaSkrDrMUR32sE_sczrCnftWmo8xDL2EEKhRPkWvaoipFoSHVjhmBoob0WBZxSHMwhKuGSxhixW3V4FOMOuFOaUXL7eeIbFFTMXiiMmYap4fk6ol4e8KjO7RNSOjrlll2U3RtbXCEwXZyppdgxhnuBmIXH2uIhoahEmJT-vQ2PL7vAYH-2IiPJPj43KNaOa5fwZfMqRQRZo-o5NC4BzgPO9R4C4YhMGSS9_7dtOXyMxtWvRGjC4J=w1680-h946-no

Williamson

Part of the furniture

:wot:

Looks pretty good to me. I just checked this location on Google Maps, unfortunately it's a bit out of our way for our 2017 USA / Canada trip, but I might just review the itinerary.

In the meantime, I do have a couple of other locales on my "bucket list", Mt Evans and Pikes Peak. However, the highest sealed road in the Mt Robson area seems to be around 6,785ft, this might be an anti-climax after the 14,000ft plus of Mt Evans and Pikes Peak.

Anyone tried Mt Evans and Pikes Peak? Am I being too ambitious re. driving (sadly no riding these peaks for me) with the issues that can be associated with altitude sickness?

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
:wot:

Looks pretty good to me. I just checked this location on Google Maps, unfortunately it's a bit out of our way for our 2017 USA / Canada trip, but I might just review the itinerary.

In the meantime, I do have a couple of other locales on my "bucket list", Mt Evans and Pikes Peak. However, the highest sealed road in the Mt Robson area seems to be around 6,785ft, this might be an anti-climax after the 14,000ft plus of Mt Evans and Pikes Peak.

Anyone tried Mt Evans and Pikes Peak? Am I being too ambitious re. driving (sadly no riding these peaks for me) with the issues that can be associated with altitude sickness?

The peak of Mt Robson is nearly 4000m (3954), and is the highest peak in the Canadian part of the Rocky Mountains. It is rare to see it without any cloud on top like we did here because it creates its own micro climate. The roads may be an anti climax in terms of their height, but the beauty of the region is what makes it spectacular

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
However, the highest sealed road in the Mt Robson area seems to be around 6,785ft, this might be an anti-climax after the 14,000ft plus of Mt Evans and Pikes Peak.

Love the yarn and the pics...some speccy stuff there from Nev and Jo :glu

7000 or 14.000 ft...it all depends on where one starts from, I guess.
It also depends on what's around the place. Had a highly memorable day at Mt. Mansfield in Vermont's Green Mtns @ only 1300m asl...and 80mile-views.

It felt just as close to the skies as the Cumberland and Cottonwood Passes, both north of 12.000ft....with Kebler Pass @10.000ft out of Crested Butte
being in the same area but proving the pick-of-the-bunch with hours of spectacular rock formations and endless stretches of aspen-trees in their autumn-colours.
(all places around Denver/ Rockies).
Missed out on Pikes and Evans as we were running out of time and some iffy weather moved in for the last day.
We both struggled quite a bit above the 8000ft mark, particularly when going for longer + steeper hikes or gaining elevation too fast.
Some headaches, feeling wonky/ dizzy, tunnel-vision etc.

Main problem was going from near-sealevel to those heights within a few hours. Things started to ease after day 3 or 4.

Check the events calendar for Pikes +Evans, there are LOTS of events going on up there. Both can cop snow dumps at any given time closing the mountains for a day or week.

nev

Super Térrarist

Jo and I rode up Pikes Peak in 2010. The altitude affected her more than me. I guess we only stopped at the top for about 10 minutes before she said she wasn't feeling so well and wanted to go back down (theres just a gift shop and a car park, not really much to do up there). Until she mentioned that I hadn't really been conscious of any effect on me, but then I did feel a bit 'tipsy' and lightheaded. When we camped for a night at the same altitude as Pikes Peak in India she suffered worse than I did (that was 14000ft at the bottom of a valley so no where to descend to).
Judging from my experience in India, if you go to one 14000ft peak and feel ill effects, when you go to the another 14000ft peak in a few days time you probably don't feel any effects of the altitude.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Jo and I rode up Pikes Peak in 2010. The altitude affected her more than me. I guess we only stopped at the top for about 10 minutes before she said she wasn't feeling so well and wanted to go back down (theres just a gift shop and a car park, not really much to do up there). Until she mentioned that I hadn't really been conscious of any effect on me, but then I did feel a bit 'tipsy' and lightheaded. When we camped for a night at the same altitude as Pikes Peak in India she suffered worse than I did (that was 14000ft at the bottom of a valley so no where to descend to).
Judging from my experience in India, if you go to one 14000ft peak and feel ill effects, when you go to the another 14000ft peak in a few days time you probably don't feel any effects of the altitude.

Did you guys acclimatise yourselves prior to the ascent? I was thinking of staying a night or two in Colorado Springs or even a bit higher - at 6,000 to 8,000, might even get to join the mile high club.

Top Bottom