Slow Road to Kosciuszko

twowheeler

two wheels are best

A week away from work and a good weather forecast; perfect for the high country.

Started on the backroads to Warburton, then took the Reefton to Marysville, to join feathered company -

Headed north, turned off to Thornton then east to the Eildon-Jamieson Road. Man, if you want a tight, twisty, narrow road, you'll love this one. Had to take this photo at the spot where you see a gazillion bike magazine test photos taken, now I can say I've been there -

Bit of a relief actually to get back onto a road that's wider than I am long. Lunch in Mansfield where I compared notes with a guy who had an (older) K1200R, then continued north through Whitfield before a quick stop at St Someone in Milawa -

Into Bright mid-afternoon for a frosty one at the Bright Brewery -

More ....

Last edited:

twowheeler

two wheels are best
You know how smoke detectors with a flattening battery emit that 'peep' every 40 seconds or so ? My neighbouring unit had one :mad: ; the proprietor's phone went unanswered :evil: ; my eyes were like piss-holes in the snow the next morning.

Several coffees in a friend's coffee bar widened them slightly -

Caffeinated, it was up the Tawonga Gap to its excellent lookout over Mt Bogong and whatever the pointy one is -

Then onto Falls Creek. This bush is recovering from the 2003 wildfires -

Ooohh :drool: -

Same wildfires, more damage -

Onto the High Plains road, starting with Rocky Valley Dam -

Descended back to the heat and onto the Omeo Highway. I'd read that this road had blanket double lines to match its newly sealed status. Well that's an urban myth (either that or I misread it) - it's the opposite - signposted "Overtake when safe" for the vast majority of it :so , mind you there was almost no traffic anywhere. Very entertaining all the way to Mitta Mitta and lunch, then a short out-and-back detour to Lake Dartmouth (which Google says is 58% full) -

Continued north on the handsome little roads on the eastern bank of the Mitta Mitta River -

Onto the Murray Valley Hwy, short break at the Tallangatta Creek -

Eyes returning to piss-hole status, so Corryong was far enough and good for an 11 hour sleep of the dead.

Last edited:

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Early start as I had plans .......

Into NSW, through Khancoban then into the National Park; short stop at Scammel's Lookout -

and Gheehi -

Through the non-existent township of Tom Groggin (it's on every map of Australia I've ever read, so just assumed something would be there ... ) then onto the long climb back into Alpine country -

At the top of the road, with a bit of snow still around -

Then down into Thredbo with plenty of time for this morning's plan. Got changed into shorts and runners, paid a huge $fee for the single summer chairlift -

, disembarked then hoofed it along the 14km return walk up to the roof of Australia -

Really lucky with the weather, not too cold but windy as f..k - it was hard to keep my footing at the summit.

Back to the village where coffee prices matched the chairlift but my mood was in a good place so I didn't care :cool: .

Onto the Bender again, down to Jindabyne (what's with all the wild emus up there - they're everywhere :eek: ), to Dalgety and the beautiful empty Snowy River Way -

past the Boco Windfarm -

then into Bombala to call it quits and cool my blisters -

Nice quiet little motel -

Can't accuse them of not diversifying -

More ...

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Next morning, turned right to Delegate and the Bonang Highway.

Whoever spread online porkies about the Omeo Highway's blanket double white lines is perhaps the same bloke posting about how the Bonang Highway is now completely sealed.
Bollocks.
There is a gravel stretch in NSW of about 2km, then a 12 km (downhill the way I was going) gravel stretch in Victoria. Not a biggie other than giving the timber trucks plenty of room to spit their dust and rocks.

Had to get a pic of this well photographed sign. If I had an AT sticker I'd have added it to the others -

Brilliant road, very enjoyable through lovely country -

Quick break at Orbost. The ex Orbost Butter Factory -

and the not very mighty Snowy River -

Back onto trafficked roads :( , and brunch at Lakes Entrance -

Detoured to Maffra to look at its car museum, to find it's closed on Thursdays :doh: -

Into the Strzeleckis -

to visit my folks. Nothing more to photograph (or perhaps it's just too familiar) until I got home.

1640kms.

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Top stuff Peter :clap:

I'm glad you took pics of the 14 km walk.

I'd never see that otherwise..:)

nev

Super Térrarist
new sign?

They have replaced all of the old warning signs which were every 20km with those new big red signs. They were there the last time I came through there, which would have been Feb this year I think.

Whoever spread online porkies about the Omeo Highway's blanket double white lines is perhaps the same bloke posting about how the Bonang Highway is now completely sealed.
Bollocks.
There is a gravel stretch in NSW of about 2km, then a 12 km (downhill the way I was going) gravel stretch in Victoria.

The 12km section in Vic has been like that forever. It used to be a 7km dirt section in NSW (always much better quality than the dirt on the Vic side though). They'be been progressively sealing the NSW side over the past couple of years. I'm surprised they haven't finished that yet. I did read something about the whole lot being sealed to provide an alternative route to Canberra and the NSW sth coast, but the day they do that, will be the day after the last day it was a good road to ride. Having the dirt section keeps the traffic off. I'm sure the locals in the townships along there probably don't want any more traffic on their road either.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
I'm glad you took pics of the 14 km walk.

I'd never see that otherwise..:)

Lol ! It's not very hard Doug, I saw a few geriatrics doing it (or at least starting it) and a bloke pushing a pram with presumably his toddlers in it. He may have been a bit nuts though.

Having the dirt section keeps the traffic off. I'm sure the locals in the townships along there probably don't want any more traffic on their road either.

I was thinking exactly that when riding through.

Top Bottom