Slow Road to Muckle Flugga

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Very impressive report and pictures from the other end of the world.
Thank You, Peter, for sharing.:thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
...ferry rounded the bluff and headed into harbour. Even in the dim twilight, it was clearly on about a 10deg angle broadside to the wind. Nervous glances exchanged :wink: -

Seems to be a normal thing to the locals, otherwise they wouldn't pick it for place+street names.

35424277564_e98e5f59f5_c.jpg

That would've been the end of the road for me though.... I'm getting green in the face and queasy in the guts just thinking about spending a night in a bathtub out there in a gale...:eek:

Into the Shetlands...hooray!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It stops at Skaw. There is no more :chug: :woot:

Cracking little beach. Next stop is the North Pole -

And that's it ???:wow:
End of the road, top of the tip, no more, fini, kaputt?
Where's Muckle Flugga? :doh:

Thinking about it, it's a fitting end to the travels though!
A neat little beach at the end of a narrow strip of road on some lonely island somewhere in the foaming seas...FANTASTIC!

:clap::bow:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Muckle Flugga's lighthouse is another one built by a Stevenson; this one by Robert Louis's dad -

Contemplating life and a great trip :D -

Ahhhhhh, yeah!!
Don't mind the previous post.....Muckle Flugga, FINALLY!! :clap::thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Here it is scrubbed up before being collected by its new owner – it’s off to Ireland .

What?? You sold it to Wheatwhacker? (the guy in Ireland storing/ buying/ selling bikes for all those O/S visitors who're "doing Europe").

He's always scouring the UK market for well-priced touring/ travel bikes and that VFR would be right up his alley.
Gotta dig out his real name again...

farawayman

Long Timer
What a great read, and fantastic shots. Thanks for taking the time and effort to stop and take that extra shot and the time to keep that diary up to date, and then post it all up here. Very well done
Another one for the bucket list.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
Love this pic, very dramatic.
Reminded me of the Otago harbour entrance.

Otago must have a wild entrance.

Absolutely fantastic report Pete.

Thank You, Peter, for sharing.:thumbs:

Absolute cracker of a trip :clap:

Ahhhhhh, yeah!!
.....Muckle Flugga, FINALLY!! :clap::thumbs:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to stop and take that extra shot and the time to keep that diary up to date, and then post it all up here. Very well done
Another one for the bucket list.

Thanks for all the comments. It's the sort of trip I'd do again, with a couple of changes, including not doing it on my own :endu .

What?? You sold it to Wheatwhacker? (the guy in Ireland storing/ buying/ selling bikes for all those O/S visitors who're "doing Europe").

Nah, the buyer is just a regular Irishman. He's got a bargain :thumbs: .

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks for all the comments.

Richly deserved!
Just made it to page3 again for a re-read... the more I look at those pics, the more I like it.
There's lots of dark and broody in there... then flashes of light, sun+skies...
the contrast is like a whirlwind that rips you along.
Those tiny, narrow lanes meandering towards some valleys or ridges, lakes and creeks and rough, rustic, and ancient structures....this is something else.

Thanks again for many hours spent drooling into the keyboard, working Gmaps to death and finding all sorts of curious stuff while poking around the web (like that bus shelter!!).:bow:

:gday::gday:

Top Bottom