Calder park trackday photos/video

loz

Getting the hang of it
Never done a race track day before, so I thought I'd give it a crack. Well, what a beauty of a day. I was sort of brickin' myself that I'd crash and do myself in, but it's interesting, I didn't ride much harder than I'd go on a real quick road ride. The track is just a much wider, cleaner, smoother and safer place to thrash your bike.

Plus, of course, there's 30 other bikes out there to race. Although of course it's not a race. :twisted: I did get black-flagged at one point and told off for excessive wheelying over the crest on the back straight, but honestly, the wheel was coming up all by itself under second gear acceleration, and it would have been rude to put it back down! The guy told me to keep antics like that for the street, so I reckon I'll take that advice.

Had a ripper day and I'll be back, I can see how this would be very addictive. Here's a short video MattyB put together for me of some footage he and Chengaleng took trackside: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=540152791512075049

They let me put the RAM-mounted camera on the bike too, so I got plenty of great on-track footage although I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet.

Oh, and here's a couple pics Keith Muir of www.bike-photos.com took on the day, he's a legend. I might buy a copy or two:

CRD-CP-251106_1707.JPG

CRD-CP-251106_0827.JPG

CRD-CP-251106_0240.JPG

And one of the 8.2 litre Boss Hoss that took to the track in our group.... Jeeeesus.
CRD-CP-251106_0902.JPG

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
Nice style there Loz :clap:

WTF? telling you not to lift a wheel accelerating out of a corner??

At Baskerville they'll be applauding your bravado as you enter the pits after the session, as long as you follow the basic safety rules (like no "undertaking" on corners in Novice group) then go for it.

I can't believe he told you to take it back to the street, surely it's better to do that on a track???

loz

Getting the hang of it
Yeah, they briefed us before the session iffracem, saying no wheelies, stoppies or burnouts... Although they didn't seem to mind the Boss Hoss guy opening the throttle all the way down the straight as you can see there in the photo!

The wheelies I got pulled up on were a fair bit higher than that one, I was sort of holding them there too in a fairly gratuitous manner. From what I understand they discourage wheelies because it might inspire other riders to lift the wheel a bit higher than they know how to deal with, and it's safety first.

Some of the guys in the fast group were JUMPING that crest so presumably as you go up the skill levels they get a bit more lenient.

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
AH! OK, can't have gratuitous wheelies, can we :wink:

Yep, they have three levels @ Baskers, and the Novice level is more carefully watched for "indiscretions". Good to see safety is paramount

I've got a Stay Upright "Cornering and Braking" course this weekend.
Ex Superbike legend Wayne Clark is the chief instructor, hope to learn a few things and get to have a bit 'o fun round Symmonds, and still have a bike to ride up to QLD on by the end of the day :doh:

G

Grey Gentry

I'm looking forward to doing the StayUpright Cornering and Braking Course at Broadford (again) in February. Wayne Clark is a good instructor. I'm sure you will enjoy it....and you might just learn something. :D

L

Leon

iffracem said:
I've got a Stay Upright "Cornering and Braking" course this weekend.

Outstanding loz, outstanding :chug: :chug:

By strange coincidence, I also have a stay upright cornering and braking course, however as an instructor! I work part time for stay upright with the advanced and c &b courses. You'll have a hoot it is a good course and Wayne is awesome instructor, and an off the hook rider - the dude can fly!

Leon

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
Yeah, I've done two Advanced courses with him at Baskers, bloke has balls the size of melons to ride that quick :wow:

Love it when he drags his alter-ego "Ted from Woollongong" out to show how not to do it what a laugh, :rofl: nothing like a good laugh to set the point into the noggin I reckon.

This will be the third Stay upright course in 2 years, all worth every cent IMHO.

Top Bottom