A ramble to Renmark, SA

penguineer

just luscious
Sorry a bit slow posting this up - been a bit all over the shop lately. The meeting at Renark was on 29 September 2012 at 1130h(local time), so you can see I've been sitting on this for a while.....

Still got a day or so to finish writing up, but that will happen in the next few days.....

The Plan

I had registered to attend FarRide East #20 in Renmark, SA with the basic 1000km in 24 hours. Muttley from FarRiders had organised the Renmark Club for a lunch venue, parking out the front and the pub for dinner, along with a few other surprises. As the direct distance to Renmark was over 1800km I also put together a plan to complete an IBA SaddleSore 1600 ride(1600km in 24 hours).

On the way home I would take as different a route as practical to see some of the countryside and maybe drop in on a friend in Broken Hill that wasn't unable to attend the FarRide.

By planning the SS1600 as my primary ride I was able to essentially choose my departure time as long as I had time to make the checkin time(as a backup).

To make the most of the day I would leave at 0800h, plan to finish at 0800h the next day in Mildura and still have a couple of hours to get from Mildura to Renmark. The 8am start was so I would have a few hours at the end of the ride in daylight after a 0515h sunrise. I didn't have a firm plan, but planned to get a bit of sleep in a roadside stop between West Wyalong and Hay.

A ride I had done earlier showed the effect that photo stops have on moving average and this was a 'serious' ride, so there would be no sightseeing on the way south(that means no photos for the first day or so).

Day 1
Yatala - Warwick - Goondiwindi - Moree - Dubbo - Parkes

After a poor nights sleep I get my start witness form signed, check the weather(storm front moving north through South Australia that promises a bit of rain and a temperature drop, hopefully I'll pass behind it). Looking up road conditions last night showed a few small roadworks, but otherwise clear.

At the last minute I changed my start location to the Yatala BP instead of Canungra. I've noticed some funny timestamps on dockets at Canungra and the distance is practically the same.

First stop is Warwick for a refuel, back on the bike and off to Goondiwindi. Another fuel stop at Goondi sees me on the road again and make a wrong turn at Boggabilla(not the first time!!), and back on my way after finding where the highway turns off in the middle of town.

At Moree I stop for fuel and a stretch. The attendant at the servo remembered me on the way home from Lightning Ridge - "Tell the other guys you were with that they should get out and ride more". While I'm having a drink a rider that seems to be "on the way somewhere" waves and keeps moving(possibly spada?).

Back on the road again and I'm doing well on my plan.

I head through the Piliga forest and found this stretch a struggle - good road, lots of trees to look at, but straight run and for some reason I found it brain numbing.

I made a stop and checked the weather ahead - the predicted storm is coming, but is still a fair way south and it looks like I may be passing through an edge of the storm somewhere south of Dubbo.

I refuel at Gilgandra instead of Dubbo and decide to put the wet gear on at Dubbo while I decide about something to eat.

Turns out that was a bad decision. Small spatters of rain turn into heavy drops then a deluge as lightning splits the sky.

By Dubbo the rain has tailed off and I find a McDonalds to take a break and warm up with a coffee. I don't like Maccas coffee, but for some reason this is nearly drinkable and more importantly I can warm my wet hands a bit while I go over my map and check the weather radar on my phone. I get the wet gear on and change to waterproof winter gloves, there will be another band of rain ahead but I've ridden in rain at night before so I'm not too concerned, particularly as I should skirt around one end of it.

Just out of Dubbo the rain intensifies into a downpour and lightning flashes all around me. Water starts sheeting on the road and I can feel the bike moving around a bit.

By Parkes I've had enough and check in at the first motel I come to. I was lucky to get a room as there's a music festival on over the long weekend.

A hot shower later and I'm thinking about how I'm going. I had planned to be much further along before taking an extended rest stop and I'm fairly sure that the last few hours have destroyed my plan. I figured that I could designate Warwick as my starting point(cutting 160km off the distance already done) and use Renmark as my finish(adding 150km to the distance yet to do). As long as I made it to Renmark before 1000h(Qld time) I should still be on track.

Decision made, I'm in bed for a few hours of comfortable sleep.

penguineer

just luscious
Day 2
Parkes - West Wyalong - Goolgowi - Hay - Mildura - Renmark

The alarm wakes me to a quiet, clear night with no clouds. My riding gear hadn't had enough time to dry out, but I've got extra layers of thermals on to keep me warm and the wet gear to act as an extra wind break.

After the rain the road, buildings, looks cleaner. Maybe it's just the lights reflecting off the remaining water? Maybe it is because the effect is carried into a sky full of glistening stars? Pretty.

At West Wyalong I make a fuel stop and take the time to wonder at how different these towns look when they are completely deserted, the leftovers of the rain making it appear that the people have been washed away in some gigantic cleanup.

The extra layers of gear are not doing enough to keep me comfortably warm and the wet gear I still have on is now making life a misery. The other effect of the rain has been to drop the temperature by several degrees - it's incredibly frustrating knowing I have better gear for the conditions at home.

The stretch from Wyalong to Hay was a challenge - straight roads cut through the trees, in the headlights the effect is of a never ending tunnel through the inky night. There are few other vehicles on this road and surprisingly little wildlife - a couple of foxes, possibly a wombat or two and a roos bum that bounces back into the scrub nearly as quickly as it came out.

I make several short stops to walk around and get the blood flowing, culminating in a longer stop in a small park in Goolgowi. Originally I had planned to get some sleep either here or Rankins Springs, but the plan now was to keep moving. After a 15 minute break I feel refreshed, but as luck would have it, I have to stop nearly straight away to wait for the first train of the day to finish shunting across the road.

The sky is lighting up as I reach the Hay - the last silent and deserted town on this trip. At the Caltex I meet up with the first other riders I'd seen since the previous day, and they're headed for Renmark. Even in the few minutes I'm at the servo more bikes pass by - it's reassuring to know that you're on the right road and on time for checkin.

A few mental calculations tell me that I have no chance of getting to Renmark in time for the SaddleSore ride - but if it was too easy, everyone would be doing it. All I have to do now was get to checkin on time and find a docket from after 1200h(plenty of those) on Friday, from a place that's at least 1000km from Renmark to complete the FarRide.

As I join the cavalcade of bikes headed west first rays of sunlight cast a warm glow across the landscape, relieving some of the monotony of these long straight roads, literally and figuratively warming my heart.

Momentarily I get excited as I approach a corner, checking my speed, looking for the apex, getting ready to get a good lean angle, before a spark of rationality tells me that it's only a 15 degree bend and all I need to do is make a small steering input......I've had enough of straight lines, regardless of how good they are for my moving average....

More bikes appear - some I pass, others pass me, definitely on the right road now!

Across the Murray at Mildura I make a final fuel stop, then end up on yet another straight road. There's more traffic in general now and we pass caravans and trucks. I guess normal people are waking up now.

More bikes pass as I top up the fuel in Mildura - no need to rush though, I'm right on time for check in if I keep up my regular pace. The road is still maddeningly straight, but at least there's a few hills I can see now and the temperature is rising.

The crosswinds manage to keep the temperature down enough to be annoying and I briefly consider stopping at one of the numerous roadside rest stops for a stretch, but I'm actually feeling quite good now and I reckon I'd be just as cold off the bike as on.

I join up with two other riders and the three of us pass through an early morning speed check, the fruit-fly inspection, and the Paringa opening bridge without incident to pull into the last free space outside the Renmark club about 20 minutes before checkin opened.

There's nothing like finishing a ride like this - bikes everywhere, faces new and old, everyone with a story, relief at finishing and having a chance to relax, a desire to keep going, all mixed up together.

At checkin I used a docket from Goondiwindi(four states and a day away), which gave me 1495km in the 24 hour period and a total trip of 1870km in 27 hours. Close.........

By the time I turned around it seemed a large chunck of the crowd had disappeared to continue their rides or check in to their motels.

The carpark at the back of the Renamrk club had cleared out a bit:
fre20-day1-bikes-800.jpg

We still had a large number of bikes in the main street though:
fre20-day1-bikes2-800.jpg

After lunch was dealt with, dinner announced and group photos taken Muttley produced a bit of extra horsepower out the back of the club:
fre20-day1-boat-800.jpg

Would anyone like a ride? Would we ever!!

So with a fanfare from the boats' rather impressive sound system we climbed aboard and were waved off by Pat and his new pink sporran(I hope it was a sporran):
fre20-day1-boat-goodbye-800.jpg

Unfortunately the only photo I have of Chris(Muttleys son) is this rather unimpressive shot of the back of his head:
fre20-day1-boat-chris-800.jpg

Chris gave us an excellent tour of the river and was able to tell us about the local history, wildlife and everything else that makes this town special, an excellent ambassador for Renmark and much appreciated!

Up the river we go!
fre20-day1-boat-leaving-800.jpg

It's rather difficult to know what to photograph, but I had little choice, as my camera quickly drained it's batteries. I know others got more photos:
fre20-day1-boat-cameras-800.jpg

In a such short distances the scenery changes dramatically.

Red cliffs:
fre20-day1-boat-cliffs2-800.jpg

fre20-day1-boat-cliffs-800.jpg

fre20-day1-boat-house-on-cliff-800.jpg

Notice the houses on top? The boat ramps on some of these places are amazing - running all the way from the top at impossible angles. I'm surpised that they find enough traction to drive back up, let alone dragging a boat!

Submerged trees:
fre20-day1-boat-trees-800.jpg

Wetlands:
fre20-day1-boat-forest-800.jpg

A bit of history:
fre20-day1-boat-internment-camp-800.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but if you look closely you'll see remnants of an World War 2 internment camp built to house Italians immigrants. To keep them from contacting Mussolini and arranging an invasion of Australia they were brought out here and put to work cutting timber for the paddleboats.

Houseboats are a major part of the local tourist industry and are everywhere along the river:
fre20-day1-boat-houseboat-800.jpg

Back towards town and we pass a restored paddlesteamer and barge.

PS Industry:
fre20-day1-boat-paddlesteamer-800.jpg

Barge Argo is still being restored:
fre20-day1-boat-barge-800.jpg

Paddlesteamers used to be the heavy freight haulers of their day, each paddlesteamer would typically pull two barges loaded with timber down to the coast.

My dodgy camera couldn't be coaxed into taking any more photos so I can't show you the river lock, the start of the pumping system that irrigates most of South Australia or the koala that we spotted on an island sanctuary.

Soon enough we headed back to check into motels and get settled before dinner. "I'll just have a quick snooze" I thought...three hours later I barely made it to dinner at the pub before the seating ran out!

Muttley put together a great event at a great destination and once again I would like to say THANK YOU!!

That's the FarRide portion of the trip over, now I just have to get home.

penguineer

just luscious
Day 3
Renmark - Mildura - Wentworth - Broken Hill - Line of Lode

I awoke from a deep sleep to the sound of motorbikes leaving from dawn onwards - not surprising considering that probably two thirds of the guests at the Citrus Valley were other FarRiders that had to be back at work on Monday. But i'm on a holiday!

After waving goodbye I give the bike a quick look over and get packed up. The sky is nice and clear and it looks like a good day for a ride - definitely warmer than the trip down!

Oil is down a bit and decide to see what I can do about it. A servo is good for tyre pressures and fuel, but the only motorcycle oil any of them seem to have is for two-strokes and there is no way I'm going to put car oil into my bike....

One of the servo operators suggested waiting around a bit as there were a couple of auto shops in town that opened on Sundays - I was a little surprised, given the population of Renmark, but the signs on the door promised opening soon and I got an excuse to ride back down to the waterfront for a look-see before the town got busy.

Another view of PS Industry:
fre20-day2-paddlesteamer-industry-800.jpg

200mL of oil from Autopro later and I'm on my way back out of town.

Of course, now clouds have come sailing in from the south and the sky is overcast as far as I can see. :-(

I was a bit put off by the possibility of more boring straight roads, but realistically there's no other option if you want to leave Renmark.

Just down the road from Renmark is Paringa. Renmark and Paringa are tied to the Murray River by recreation, irrigation and riverboats. Number 5 lock and wier at Paringa is part of a system that manages the amount of water flowing downstream and keeps enough water upstream for boats. The lock allows boats to move between the two sections of the river.

In the days of riverboats this was a vital piece of infrastructure - but it only barely beat the railway, if the railway line through the area had arrived earlier the lock may not have been built and the two towns might not exist.

At the moment the two sections of the river are nearly at the same level - the previous day Chris had told us that the difference can be over 15 feet!

The section of disturbed water is the downstream part of the wier - the smooth water in the foreground is the lock.
fre20-day2-lock-and-weir-800.jpg

Serious tacho:
fre20-day2-flow-rate-800.jpg

The run back to Mildura was a replay of the previous day - crosswind, overcast and enough chill to be annoying.

Fruit fly inspection(all vehicles heading west get stopped):
fre20-day2-pest-inspection-800.jpg

At Mildura I turn north onto the Silver City Highway for Broken Hill.

At Wentworth I stopped to play tourist at the old gaol:

fre20-day2-wentworth-outside-800.jpg

fre20-day2-wentworth-tower-800.jpg

Heading inside:
fre20-day2-wentworth-main-gate-800.jpg

fre20-day2-wentworth-gate-800.jpg

This is the interior of the male portion of the cellblock - the two oversized cells at the far end were reputed to hold up to 18 men at a time:
fre20-day2-male-cells-800.jpg

From all accounts Wentworth was a pretty wild town, a mixing pot of shearers, stockmen, boatmen and lots of alcohol. My grandmother was stationed at Mildura during World War 2, and Wentworth still had a reputation.

This is the rear of building we were just in - the female cell block, with a small seperated yard and toilet:
fre20-day2-female-cells-800.jpg

Interestingly, the majority of the prisoners in the female cells were from the Salvation Army - they weren't recognised as a religion back then and often got locked up for public disturbance(preaching and playing of musical instruments).

Further north the trees disappear and the roads straighten out, but it's definitely not boring. The horizon may stay a maddeningly flat break between land and sky but the scenery and foliage changes every 5 minutes. One of the pleasures of riding a motorcycle is that you can smell the world around you - the constantly changing scents of various flowering plants adds to the stimulation.

fre20-day2-road-ahead-800.jpg

From out of nowhere a lake appears and I stop at the busy picnic area for a bit of a stretch:
fre20-day2-popitah-lake-800.jpg

Popitah Lake is roughly halfway between Broken Hill and Mildura, so is a very popular spot to break a trip. The wierd grey/blue colour of the water is a result of clay sediments suspended in the water - this is a sign that the water is still moving and hasn't had time to settle.

Further north and something surprising happens:
fre20-day2-whats-that-800.jpg

See the pointy bits? Hills! It's only 30km or so to Broken Hill from here and I'm ahead of the clouds - it's been a game, chasing them north.

First order of business in town was sorting out somewhere to stay. As I was told in the tourist centre - "long weekend, four states on school holidays and too many people that don't book ahead, you don't have many options".

I ended up in the Daydream Motel - a small converted pub a short walk from the town centre, relatively cheap and friendly. The last available room was taken about 10 minutes after I booked in.

Not I can play tourist - so I head up to the Line of Lode at sunset to get some happy snaps:
fre20-day2-at-line-of-lode-sunset-800.jpg

Memories that last!

Line of Lode is a mullock heap that forms the highest point in Broken Hill. This is where the first silver ore was discovered and BHP was formed - parts of it are still being mined. The railway line here seems to perform the same role as in Mount Isa - one passes from the town to the mine at the level crossing.

These days Line of Lode hosts a rather fancy restuarant and the Miners Memorial. The names of miners killed are recorded on glass plates inside the memorial.
fre20-day2-miners-memorial-800.jpg

The carpark has a display of old underground mining machinery:
fre20-day2-machinery-exhibit-800.jpg

Get cranked!
fre20-day2-get-cranked-800.jpg

Of course, there is also the Big Park Bench, and every visitor needs to have their photo taken on it:
fre20-day2-big-bench1-800.jpg

Sometimes thinking big isn't enough:
fre20-day2-big-bench2-800.jpg

Just taking in the view:
fre20-day2-big-bench3-800.jpg

(The memorial is the building on the right)

The sunset(as best my camera can manage):
fre20-day2-broken-hill-sunset-800.jpg

The motel manager had recommended the Legion Club for dinner - a five minute walk away and great food.

Cajun Kangaroo - delicious! :
fre20-day2-dinner-800.jpg

Last edited:

penguineer

just luscious
Day 4
Broken Hill Sculptures, Silverton and Mundi Mundi

The whole long-weekend thing had thrown me - I hadn't really considered it when I set out. But now that I was in Broken Hill I had sorta given up on the idea of catching up with Bazz as he'd probably have other plans......but he got in touch and we made a plan to meet up for coffee and scones at Silverton at lunchtime.

Just outside of Broken Hill is the Broken Hill Sculpture Symposium and Living Desert Flora and Fauna Reserve. In 1993 a group of artists from around the world created a series of 12 sculptures out of sandstone blocks that had been placed around one of the hilltops.

Honesty box at the gate:
fre20-day3-sculpture-entry-800.jpg

I'd heard that you are supposed to park at the base of the hill and walk up, but the gate was open to the top carpark so I went straight up.

I thought I'd get a "traditional" tourist happy snap to say I was here:
fre20-day3-at-broken-hill-sculptures-800-1.jpg

Sculptures on the skyline:
fre20-day3-sculptures-skyline-800.jpg

Bajo El Sol Jaguar(Under the Jaguar Sun) by Antonio Nava Tirado(Mexico):
fre20-day3-bajo-el-sol-jaguar-800.jpg

This sculpture is the poster child for the exhibition - practically every brochure has a version of this picture. The sculpture tells an Aztec story of the the jaguar taking the sun into it's mouth at the end of each day for safekeeping until the next morning.

Given the way that some of the sculptures interact with the landscape, I think it's a fair bet that this hole lines up with the setting sun at some time of the year:
fre20-day3-jaguar-mouth-800.jpg

Nearby is Angles of the Sun and Moon by Valerian Jikiya(Georgia):
fre20-day3-angles-of-the-sun-and-moon-800.jpg

The angles of this sculpture change the work as the sun moves across the sky. On the back is a sundial that indicates the time of year that the sculpture was carved.

One of the things to remember about sculpture is that it is more than one surface - if you stay on the concrete path and stand at the signs you will get exactly the same view as everyone else that can be easily seen on any of the brochures. By moving around the sculptures you discover more of the work and hopefully see more of the work in the context of the surrounding landscape.

Horse by Jumber Jikiya(Georgia):
fre20-day3-horse-800.jpg

Sundown Geodetic Station by Geoscience Australia:
fre20-day3-geodetic-station-800.jpg

One thing that is amazing is the way that the sculptures fit into, complement and interact with the landscape. If nothing else, the view is breathtaking and it's worth taking a bit of time to appreciate it:
fre20-day3-sculpture-enjoying-the-view-800.jpg

Some of the local flora:
fre20-day3-sculpture-flower1-800.jpg

fre20-day3-sculpture-flower2-800.jpg

I went down to the start of the cultural walk and flora and fauna reserve, but only managed a small walk through the flora reserve before realising I had to head out to Silverton. The wildflowers are in bloom and the scents and colours turn this place into a really sensory experience.

This fellow has plenty of time:
fre20-day3-cultural-walk-start-800.jpg

Unfortunately Bazz got a couple of call-outs(weekend rates! :) ) so couldn't get to Silverton.

On the way out I met this fellow crossing the road:
fre20-day3-shingleback-lizard-800.jpg

My first stop in Silverton was the Mad Max2 Museum on the hill:
fre20-day3-mad-max-museum-800.jpg

While there's a whole range of original movie props, sets, replicas and photos in the museum I would say that the greatest treasure here is the owner, Adrian Bennet. Adrian transformed his obsession with Mad Max 2 into the museum when he moved to Silverton from England, continuing to pick up information from cast and crew and spending his free time looking for remnants abandoned in the desert so long ago.

After spending a half hour talking with him I will never again be able to watch the movie without seeing something more in it.....

Family car?:
fre20-day3-custom-plates-800.jpg

Just next door is the Silverton Tea Rooms:
fre20-day3-tearoom-neighbour-800.jpg

(Well, actually next door to that)

The Tea Rooms are nice and cool and they do excellent scones!

This scooter by Chris Trotter seems to fit right into Silverton:
fre20-day3-silverton-scooter-800.jpg

Why you shouldn't let racing camels into your studio:
fre20-day3-camel-in-the-studio-800.jpg

Silverton has a school museum:
fre20-day3-school-museum-800.jpg

This school used to have up to 80 students in one class when Silverton was at its' height.

Much of it was before my time, but did bring back memories.....
fre20-day3-school-museum-classroom-800.jpg

You can't go to Silverton without going further down the road to Mundi Mundi.

On a clear day you can see the curve of the earth way off in South Australia:
fre20-day3-bike-mundi-mundi-800.jpg

fre20-day3-bike-mundi-mundi2-800.jpg

If some of the scenery from the lookout seems familiar - they filmed a few bits of Mad Max2 here.....

There is a constant stream of tourists coming up here to take happy snaps, but few seem willing to stay for more than a few minutes to appreciate the vastness of the country laid out before them.....

Sunset was coming, but I didn't feel like being part of a crowd scene so I headed back into town:
fre20-day3-silverton-skyline-800.jpg

Silverton used to have a population of 3000.

At the top of the hill are a few more art galleries.......and the loo was closed:
fre20-day3-leaning-dunny-800.jpg

Justin Cowley is a young artist that is part of the Silverton revival - eventually his family will move out here once the studio is liveable:
fre20-day3-justin-cowley-studio-800.jpg

Peter Browne is known for his quirky emus on V dubs:
fre20-day3-peter-browne-vw-800.jpg

Currently some of his work is in Justins' gallery, but he is also working on restoring the building next door.

While I was chatting to Justin there was a stream of cars down on the road headed to Mundi Mundi - while the sunset would be spectacular I was happy enough to be where I was.....

From Silverton I ended up at Bazz' place for a coffee, catch up and learnt even more about Broken Hill - got a long list of things to do next time I'm in the neighbourhood. Even managed to get a look at the bung leg(the cast is now off) and met the mythical Liz - he was itching to get back on the bike!

Dinner ended up being a healthyish Subway sandwich before heading to bed, ready to move on tomorrow.

penguineer

just luscious
Day 5
Broken Hill - Cobar - Gilgandra - Coonamble

A beautiful day, with a clear blue sky - all I had to do was load up the bike and hit the road. Enough time for a last look around the town while it's quiet before people start heading to work.

Remember how I said the central part of Broken hill was pubs and trades halls?

The motel I stayed in - converted pub:
fre20-day4-daydream-motel-800.jpg

Across the road - another pub:
fre20-day4-opposite-corner-800.jpg

Main street - can see at least four pubs(or converted pubs) and a trades hall:
fre20-day4-broken-hill-main-street-800.jpg

Marios Palace - budget accomodation, converted pub:
fre20-day4-palace-motel-800.jpg

Across the road from the tourist centre is a park with an old mine complete with headframe - doesn't every town have one of these?
fre20-day4-park-headframe-800.jpg

Looking over the railway line to Line of Lode(pity about the powerlines in the photo) - the cafe is the larger building with the memorial to the left...
fre20-day4-line-of-lode-800.jpg

Eagles are already spiralling amongst invisible air currents as I head out on the Barrier Highway. At least the sun has risen enough that it won't be in my eyes.

About 30km out of Broken hill I looked back....
fre20-day4-back-to-broken-hill-800.jpg

And ahead:
fre20-day4-onward-800.jpg

Clear roads, blue skies, good times!

It's times like these that I appreciate some of what the explorers went through many years ago - not knowing what was ahead, not seeing any great defining features in the landscape, and maybe travelling as far as the horizon in a day(I'll be going further than that!).

A little further on I could just see Little Topar lake through the trees, exhibiting that same wierd grey/blue colour, but not as easy to get a photo without getting off the road, and I had some ground to cover - I had a rough goal of making it to Lightning Ridge.

I only stop in Wilcannia for fuel - I'm just getting into the groove of riding again and 200km is a good start to the morning.

Everywhere I looked there were feral goats grazing or resting along the road or in the paddocks nearby, occasionally I'd see emus. Didn't have any problems as they were content to keep feeding and ignored me as I passed, but I wouldn't like to be on this road at night! As soon as I stop for a photo they would take off and I'd lose my chance - eventually I gave up.....

Eventually I stop at McCulloch rest area, just over halfway to Cobar. It's pretty well appointed with covered picnic areas and shade sail over the playground.
fre20-day4-mcculloch-rest-area-800.jpg

If you look at the trees in the background you'll notice the lack of undergrowth and how the tree foliage seems to have a flat "base" - at roughly the height of a feeding goat......

Somebody has left a bowl at the tank(presumably for travelling pets) that bees are using to collect water for their honey:
fre20-day4-mcculloch-bees-800.jpg

Finally - emus and goats in the same shot:
fre20-day4-emus-and-goats-800.jpg

A bit far away, but they had started moving as soon as I throttled down, let along got my camera out......

Cobar has a Big(tm) beer can!
fre20-day4-big-beercan-cobar-800.jpg

Just over the road from the information centre is a park with an old mine, complete with headframe - it seems that towns out here do have this as standard.
fre20-day4-cobar-park-headframe-800.jpg

There is little likelihood of hooligans trampling the flowers - there's a 500 foot shaft underneath the flowerbed.

Standard shot of the Cobar sign - everyone gets a photo here - in my case it's on the way out of town, not on the way in:
fre20-day4-cobar-welcome-800.jpg

Outside the town is the Fort Hill gold mine - for a long time this was an opencut mine, then became an underground - vehicle access from the bottom of the opencut.
fre20-day4-cobar-fort-hill-mine-800.jpg

Not many chances of getting a photo much different to anyone else here - the lookout is a steel cage perched over one side of the mine so your options for creativity are understandly limited.

Of course, you could turn around in the car park. Something about the satellite dishes and the empty landscape appealed to me:
fre20-day4-cobar-dishes-800.jpg

The hill that the mine is in is the highest point around:
fre20-day4-cobar-flat-800.jpg

Time to keep moving......

Nyngan has a helicopter on a pole to remmember the rescues carried out here when the town was flooded:
fre20-day4-nyngan-helicopter-on-a-pole-800.jpg

Outside town is another sign marking the landing area that was used, now returned to use as a cow paddock.

It's good to know where you are:
fre20-day4-bogan-shire-800.jpg

Almost sounds like they could do a reality TV show......oh, hang on.....

That's it for photos for today....keep moving.

Just outside Warren I could have turned north and saved myself about an hour of travelling, but I kept going to Gilgandra and made it to Coonamble as the last light left the sky. Lightning Ridge would be another two hours from here and there would be no likelihood of food when I arrived, so a room in Coonamble and a pizza from the servo ends the day!

penguineer

just luscious
Day 6
Coonamble - Walgett - Moree - Goondiwindi - Warwick - Home!

Well, all good things come to an end. I did consider heading north to Lightning Ridge and back through St George on roads I hadn't used before, but decided to go home "the easy way", which is about 200km shorter and 80% the same anyway. There will be other times to explore.

Now it's just a commute home - 800km is a commute isn't it?

The motel had largely cleared out by 7:30am - most of the guests were workers on a large irrigation project - they like this motel as it's a little way out of town and their vehicles are out of public view.

fre20-day5-motel-empty-800.jpg

One of the last wagons in last night would be looking for a spare tyre today as he had run over an echidna....

Just before Walgett I saw this Big(tm) farmer:

big-farmer-walgett-20121003-800.jpg

The "basket" under his right arm currently holds a plough, but is sized for a large rolled bale of hay(or cotton?). I wonder if they swap around depending on the seasons?

Breakfast was a short stop for a spring roll in Walgett then back on the road:

fre20-day5-wait-for-horses-800.jpg

Don't get signs like that in the city!

Just outside Moree is Bullarah school and CWA hall. They've put some effort into dressing the hall up:
fre20-day5-bullarah-cwa-800.jpg

Turning the other way(north) is a huge earth dam wall - cotton uses a lot of water.
fre20-day5-bullarah-dam-800.jpg

Cotton picking is just over - lots of raw cotton on the sides of the road, ploughed vacant fields and stockpiles of bales at the gins that I've passed. Ready to do it all over again.

Moree servo was as busy as usual - but this was the first time I'd seen a nice tractor like this fuelling up here:
fre20-day5-moree-servo-800.jpg

Back over the border I refreshed my Goondiwindi "I've been everywhere, man"(IBEM) photo:
ibem-goondiwindi-20121003-800.jpg

Warwick has a Big(tm) sheep shears that I've ridden past a few times:
big-shears-warwick-20121003-800.jpg

At the servo I get a last photo in my usual spot - seems like every trip lately I get a photo here:
fre20-day5-warwick-servo-usual-spot-800.jpg

And that's it! Made it back home by about 4:30pm......plenty of daylight still for another ride!

SPOT track for those interested in the route: http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=573a5060d8dc75cbb

4200+ km
400+ photos
220L of fuel
6 days on the road
4 states
3 Big things
1 storm
0 lattes

Cheers!

Last edited:

penguineer

just luscious
this is great, keep them pics coming! :clap:

Thanks! Unfortunately there is only one more day to write up and since it's so close to home there is less that I see as interesting - use the same roads enough and it is like commuting, it's just this is an 800km commute :)

But there are more pics......

Cheers!

penguineer

just luscious
Just updated day 6 above......

4200+ km
400+ photos
220L of fuel
6 days on the road
4 states
3 Big things
1 storm