Only in America .......

Williamson

Part of the furniture
..... and perhaps in QLD.

Ya know, when we are travelling Oz, we often see a big wagon towing a big caravan with bicycles or sometimes even a motorcycle on the front or back of the caravan, or it's an RV with a Suzuki Vitara (or similar) in tow, sometimes it's a 5th wheeler (not sure where that name comes from) with a medium size 4WD in tow.

Well the latter is very common in the US, but sometimes the medium size 4WD is not enough, and there will be a Pajero or a Patrol or a Cruiser. Sometimes that is not enough, it wasn't for thus guy anyway.

Hey, is the driver of that ute tail-gating?

Sure is, but is there a driver?

Nothing to worry about.

That's a Twin Cab Chevy Silvardo.

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
I guess it may not be a requirement in the US, but I have seen this elsewhere where the car behind the RV has a sign stating "Vehicle Under Tow"

I don't think there is any legal requirement to have a sign people just put a sign there for information purposes. You used to see cars with signs that said "running in" but those days are long gone. If you look at the Vic Roads regs for A frame towing there are lots of technical things regarding distances and GVM and lighting but there is nothing that says that the vehicle being towed needs to have a sign.
In the US there are 50 different sets of road rules anyway. Each state has their own peculiar rules.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
In the US there are 50 different sets of road rules anyway. Each state has their own peculiar rules.

Which, in return, nobody seems to give a shit about.
Seen some classic stuff over there...but those mega-rigs are impressive!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
..... In the US there are 50 different sets of road rules anyway. Each state has their own peculiar rules.

Which, in return, nobody seems to give a shit about.
Seen some classic stuff over there...but those mega-rigs are impressive!

Highway / Freeway speed limits were generally 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 or 80mph. The locals think nothing of travelling at 5 or 10mph over the limit, even 15mph over seemed to be frequent, especially in CA. Some of the roads in the area around Dillon, CO were covered in snow, speeds were still very high.

We saw quite a few cars pulled over by the CHiP's (or equivalent) in the 9,000 plus miles we drove (more than we would see in the equivalent distance in OZ). It had me athinking about the sort of speed those dudes must've been doing to attract the attention of the law enforcement officer.

One occasion, three CHip's had a guy pulled over, officers had weapons drawn and pointed at the driver / crim (?), who was adopting the position. I had slowed to get a better look. A LOOK from one officer was enough to know that my interested was not needed.

Top Bottom