The Long-White-Cloud Spectacular__NZ South Island 2012

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Jo on the GS leading Nev on the Happy Valley Rd. back to the Hwy.
A first taste of the thick blanket of gravel which seems to be around everywhere!

NZ_SI_2012_0033.JPG

Goodie

NZ_SI_2012_0034.JPG

That “Dover Hills" bit sounds tempting…
bees.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0035.JPG

And no, that isn’t a concrete bridge but tightly joined timber, which nearly had me arse-up, bowling into everyone standing at the intersection just to the right.
knary.gif

What a slippery little bastard…check the tyre-tracks, that was the front-end going walkabouts.

NZ_SI_2012_0035a.JPG

We turn north again on Hwy 1, before tacking inland just after the Hurunui River bridge, one of those loooong single-lane bridges so common around here.

This is it….the first of the “special sections”….the Old Culverden Stock Route.

It cuts west from the coast, across the Lowry Hills Range and into the wide, flat Waiau Valley, using farm-roads into Culverden…. or further north, into Waiau.

That’s the way we’ll take…and it’s straight into the backroads.

NZ_SI_2012_0038.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0038a.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0038b.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0038c.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0038d.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Nev on “gate-duty”…with Jo going through.

NZ_SI_2012_0040a.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0041.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0041a.JPG

It sure ain’t no asphalt…Robbie caught it at cruising speed.

NZ_SI_2012_0042.JPG

Somebody else at cruising speed…the 4-legged yoghurt-maker.
Jeez…I’d run if I had Rob up me clacker!!

NZ_SI_2012_0043.JPG

Phew…made it!!

NZ_SI_2012_0044.JPG

Oh yeah…ALWAYS keep those eyes on the exit !!

NZ_SI_2012_0045a.JPG

…while Nev tries to keep his boots dry.

NZ_SI_2012_0046.JPG

Yes, mate….up the right shoulder of that hill over there.

Tassie-Dave and Nev checking what’s ahead…

NZ_SI_2012_0047.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Latte-Dave on the cut-across for the corner.

NZ_SI_2012_0049.JPG

Bernard near the top.

NZ_SI_2012_0049b.JPG

Jackpot!! Man, what a view!!
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif
And you’re right, there’s some sunshine in those cliffs across the Waiau Flats!! Could we be that lucky??

NZ_SI_2012_0050.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0051.JPG

That looks like fun…

NZ_SI_2012_0053.JPG

The mood under the low, grey clouds backlit by the cliffs opposite is somehow threatening and uplifting all at the same time.

NZ_SI_2012_0055a.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0056.JPG

There’s the odd little creek around here, too…like the 100m wide Waiau River.

NZ_SI_2012_0058.JPG

Looking back….we came over those hills.
slobber.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0059.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Being a Sunday, both bowsers in the little town of Waiau are closed….hmmmm….Bernard is giving warning that he might run dry on the way up the Inland Rd. past Lyford to Kaikoura back on the coast.
And lemme tell ya….it’s a gem of a road.
drool.gif
drool.gif

Nev lapping it up.

NZ_SI_2012_0062.JPG

75k’s of never-ending twisties, medium sweepers to 30km/h tight stuff, elbows, hairpins, some odd-angled approaches to single-lane bridges, the odd pothole and mid-corner bathtub that spits you out near the wrong side of the bend, some lose gravel to spice it all to the brim…then add the scenery and the fact that the roads is just about yours alone!! Magic!!

NZ_SI_2012_0061.JPG

The DR glowing like a Xmas tree after the last 40k’s of pegging the grip.

NZ_SI_2012_0061a.JPG

For a while, it’s everyone for him/herself….then….where’s Bernard??
Dave checking the mirrors…

NZ_SI_2012_0060.JPG

The lil’ XT…bone-dry. Luckily just opposite a farm house, where $10 and some sweet-talking results in a couple of liters of the go-juice, enough to get to Kaikoura. Oh....I mentioned that those Kiwis are fantastic folks, didn't I?
Well, you gonna hear that one over and over....

NZ_SI_2012_0060a.JPG

Kaikoura Bay….and we better keep nailing it northwards, that’s where the sun seems to poke through….up the coast to Blenheim.

NZ_SI_2012_0064.JPG

The wind is strong… wants to pick up the bike out of the corners and throw it down the embankments.
One secong you're on the left verge, then battling both ends to not cross into the oncoming lane.
Things are getting tiring…and cold. Time for a ding-dong battle with Tassie-Dave...just to get warm, officer, honest
icon_whistle_.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0065.JPG

Check the vineyards…we’re not far off Blenheim now….but look at those blackbellies over there!!

NZ_SI_2012_0066.JPG

The road cuts through some coastal hills and there’s a perfect V-shaped gully with views to the beach and water below….
Bernard promised later that it looks exactly like that:

NZ_SI_2012_0066a.JPG

I reckon, he’s telling fibs!!
bees.gif

Somehow we skirt around that thunderstorm.

NZ_SI_2012_0066b.JPG

…and make quarters at the Top10 Caravan Park along Blenheim’s Main drag.
Needless to mention, that the bullshit flies even before the helmets are off…

NZ_SI_2012_0067.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0068.JPG

Blenheim Central on a Sunday night…

NZ_SI_2012_0070.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0071.JPG

….and the plans are set for tomorrow.
Holy mackerel, what a first day it's been!!

AWESOME!!
laola.gif
laola.gif

Dusty

Just through the door
Hey, wait just a damm minute.
Dark beer, good tucker, wooden beavers (Oh the irony!!) and BULLSHIT?!??!!!

You never once mentioned there'd be bullshit!!! Dammit Pete, why didn't you tell me? I'd have had the hip-waders dry-cleaned and pressed!!

I feel so cheated. :mad:

And wooden beavers? Are you kidding me????? Please please tell me that there were actually 3 of them and one is on the way!?!

Dang, looks like this is gonna be a tough one to read through (only cuz of total envy & wooden beaver lust.)

My only hope is that this trip set a hook and you'll have to go back to flog more of the backroads. Sign me up, come hell or high water. I'll be the bombadier. Just in case.

Can't believe you didn't tell me there'd be bullshit....mumble....grumble....bumble......stumble...

OK, keep it coming! Got a few days of rain ahead it seems, I can live vicariously through this RR. Looks outstanding!!! Jimbo
:gday:

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Mate, there was plenty of bullshit, and not just on the roads!!! Plenty more of it to come too, let me assure you...

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Kaikoura Bay….and we better keep nailing it northwards, that’s where the sun seems to poke through….up the coast to Blenheim. The wind is strong… wants to pick up the bike out of the corners and throw it down the embankments.
One second you're on the left verge, then battling both ends to not cross into the oncoming lane.
Things are getting tiring…and cold. Time for a ding-dong battle with Tassie-Dave...just to get warm, officer, honest
icon_whistle_.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0065.JPG

If you have a keen eye, you can see three wind turbines on that there little hill. And boy can you see why they put em there!! Any moisture we picked up was blown dry and then some on that bit of road

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hey, wait just a damm minute.
Dark beer, good tucker, wooden beavers (Oh the irony!!) and BULLSHIT?!??!!!

You never once mentioned there'd be bullshit!!!
And wooden beavers?
My only hope is that this trip set a hook and you'll have to go back to flog more of the backroads. Sign me up, come hell or high water. I'll be the bombadier. Just in case.

Can't believe you didn't tell me there'd be bullshit....mumble....grumble....bumble......stumble...

Mate....you missed an exceptional one!! Just having Latte-Dave and Bernard around as the Travelling Comedy Duo was worth the trip alone. :clap:

And FWIW....those beavers were concrete...wanna re-think a few points now? :guff
The beer was nearly as good as your Black Butte, bloody marvellous !!
And the bullshit?? Ohhh yeah, lemme tellya....:chug::chug:

Hip waders?? You wouldn't have lasted the first night!
Make it dry-suit with a 50 yard snorkel...

Mate, there was plenty of bullshit, and not just on the roads!!! Plenty more of it to come too, let me assure you...

:drool::so:so

platypus121

Tour Pro
Prelude

While Pete is getting all those shots sorted, here's a few from my trip from Hamilton to Christchurch to join the group.

Over the Redwood Pass between Blenheim and Dashwood, and my little girlie 250 is starting to loosen up.
Pity about all the weight she's carrying high up ... and the pack weighs a bit, as well.

P1070604.jpg

Molesworth Road, room to swing a large cat - at the very least.

P1070637-1070640.jpg

Hobbit accommodation discovered on the way. Kitten-swinging only in here, please.

P1080437.jpg

Molesworth again.

P1070727-1070730.jpg

P1070741390.jpg

P1070768-1070770BW2.jpg

And now for something completely different ... the unsung saviours of the NZ economy, about to start work for the day.
Fenced and no hazard to motorists. "No wallabies to worry about here, Goodie." :doh:

P1070655.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom