Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 28-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
stewy
Still young and stupid

Default Re: FarRide to eat #13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
Good luck Christo, hope the ride goes well for you..

At least you'll be finished by the time you get to lunch. When I did FarRide #10, I only had 530 k's up at the lunch break and did find it a bit difficult getting back on the bike after being stopped for 2 hours for lunch

And Stewy, I reckon you could do one of these with your eyes closed.. I'm sure you've done plenty of 6-700k day rides, when you know it's only a "day" ride, getting to 1000 is not that much more.

I did mine on the 01 GSXR, left at 3 in the morning was home before 10pm and that included plenty of breaks.

yeah am pretty sure i could do a 1000 in a day, i mean i did 900km (including the barry way) start of last year (but i was pretty buggered and sore by the time i got home), and most day rides are of 600-700km in total.....but yeah first attempt i hope to day one of these then i building up to the 1600km ride (whatever that one is called)

Either way have a blast Christo
Old 28-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
stewy
Still young and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo View Post
Just over 3 hours till start time.
Looking forward to a good ride and a Ginger Ale or 2 in Mitchell, with my mates.

Stewy, the long straight roads are usefull for getting you somewhere with low stress, fact of the matter is that with so much night riding on this trip, as well as potential rain, cold, fuel availalbility after hours (many of those country servo's operate 6 till 6), and the ever present threat of marauding macropod suicide squads, I don't require the further excitement of dirt or twisty's, to get my adrenaline pumping.

Give it a go, have a look at www.FarRiders.com, there's lots of info from the blokes about LD riding.

Tim, thanks for the encouragement, look forward to seeing you on the road.

Christo.
yeah i am not really straights man, the ride back from gippy is always a hard trip for me, to be honest i struggle with the sections between whitfield and bright, and mansfield and melbourne yet i have no issue doing taking the back roads even if i have to deal with the dirt and take me longer dunno why but i am just not great on the transit sections
Old 28-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
nev
Super Térrarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewy View Post
have a blast, i want to attempt a ride like this one day but not so much the much the long straight roads, am slowly building up too it am hoping in the next year or so to be at a level to attempt it
As Tim pointed out, if you're happy to go out and ride your bike all day, it's just a matter of getting up early enough to give yourself enough of the day ahead for riding to cover the distances required. If you only have 200km under your belt by lunchtime you're going to struggle. Getting on the road before 5am is a good way of achieving that. A couple of short breaks and a reasonable average speed in the morning will see 520km on the clock by midday. From memory, (see my ride report "A long ride for a thai curry") I think I left home at 3:45am and by 10:45 I had covered just under 600km (and had time for a 1.5hr nap before lunch).
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Christo
Tractor Pilot

Back from Mitchell, 1254 k's for the FarRide, 1847 doe the weekend.

RR to follow.

Christo.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Christo
Tractor Pilot

My First FarRide, (confessions of a former FarVirgin).

Friday 28th of May 2010, appeared crisp and fresh, a little overcast, but no rain at the Casa del Christo.
I had woken after a fairly ordinary nights sleep at my usual 0630, which left me 5 hours of bumbling about before I could start the FarRide to eat #13.
I had organised my gear the night before, which left me at a complete loss about what to do to fill in my time. After packing the bike, checking the oil, checking and lubeing the chain, checking and inflating the tyres, I still had 4 hours left!
With great anticipation, I tried to relax, had another shower, re-checked everything and finally Headed off to the service station at 1100, having given Christina and Genevieve a cuddle and promising to be careful.
Arriving at the service station @ 1110 and knowing I had at least 21 minutes before I could get a docket, I drank some water, had a chocolate bar and a smoke, and still had about 15 minutes left, shit time can go slow sometimes eh?
On the dot of 1130 I had the bike in position next to the pump, and started filling the tank, only took a couple of minutes, by which time I assumed that I would be within the 1131 start time.
I headed into the servo office to pay for my fuel and collect my start docket, but, before I payed, I asked the attendant what time her panel displayed. 1124 said the attendant, I explained to her what I was up to, and asked if she would mind if I hung around a few minutes before swiping the card. This request was greated with incredulity, but, also acceptance, and I had a wander, chose a couple of bottles water, picked out some muesli bars, asked the time again, which was stated to be 1133, and proceeded to pay via visa.
My receipt was promptly put into my hand, at which stage I checked the time stamp just to make sure, and I can only loosely describe my horror, whn after all my checking and re-checking, the time stamp on the visa receipt appeared as 1129!
Shit!
The manager Jorge came out, asked if he could help, I again explained the purpose of the time stamp on the docket, and he said asked if a note business card and mobile number from him would set things straight, which I assumed would.
Jorge must have had trouble over the wording, English being his second language and all, and took 15 minutes to hand write the note (the wording was superb), staple it together, and hand it over to me.
With the words “muchos gracias”, ( “de nada” from Jorge), and “via con dios”, I flew out the door, mounted the bike, turned the key, slipped her into gear, and thus Christo’s FarRide to eat #13 (first for me), had commenced, albeit around 20 minutes late
A thousand kilometres, over unridden roads, in indeterminate conditions, with darkness and skippys?
It’s been many years since I’ve ridden that sort of distance in one hit, and I was understandably thoughtful about my chances, but determined to prove to myself, that I can do it, I pushed out and on.
I had originally thought to go up through Esk to Nanango but decided that the threatening weather up that way could be avoided at least in part, if I positioned myself at the top of the range.
First stop was at Plainlands on the Warrego Highway, for a pic of the scooter in front of the Big red Elephant.

Back on the bike within a minute, and up to Toowoomba, stopped to attend a call of m
Nature, and to fill up the tank to get a docket for the corner, (this was after all a training run for the SS1600, that I want to do), and off up the road through Crow’s Nest, Cooyar and on to Nanango, Stopped at the BP on the way into Town for a pie, and a cuppa, had a smoke and thought it prudent to finally zip the thermal liner into my jacket, as I was starting to feel the chill. It was about 3pm by this stage, traffic even on these country roads had slowed me down, and I was starting to think that all my planning could come to nought.
Not too far out of Nanango it had started to rain, so I pulled into a rest stop at Goomeri to pull on the dryrider pants, (more wasted time, have to work on the this for the SS1600).

From Goomeri, my thoughts were to head up to Gayndah, and after that I had no idea, as my new plan was going through a bit of a flux.
Reaching Ban Ban Springs, I saw the one and only fuel stop, and decided to buy a Map of Queensland rather than rely on my memory to get somewhere.
As I was paying for the Map, Sean pops up behind me, stating that he didn’t think they would serve Hippy’s there.

Seeing I was already off the bike, and Penguineer was there as well, I figured that Ban Ban Springs was as good a place as any to have a drink and get a nicotine hit, so Sean and I settled in for a good 10 minute chat, while he told me his plans, and I tried to reformulate mine.
Sean said he was headed to Biloela, and then onto Banana, for the run down past Theodore to Miles, and then out to Mitchell, which I figured was as good a plan as any even though I didn’t need all those kilometres for the 1000k’s. But I was enjoying the ride, and thought that I could easily push on, so we decided that we would join forces in the battle against Skippy, and the 2 Stroms would ride at least part of the way together.
Out from Ban Ban, and up to Gayndah, for pic at the “Big Orange”, then, through the beating rain, on past Mundubbera to Eidsvold, for a quick drink and a slash, Eidsvold to Monto, through rain and fog banks to Thargool for a pic outside the Red Steer hotel.

From Thargool to Biloela where, we had decided to share a hotel room overnight, arriving at around 2130.
Food can be a problem in these country towns late at night we discovered, and the only thing available was KFC, (YUKK!).
Lights out by about 11 after unpacking bikes, eating a bit of dinner and a cuppa and a bit of a chat.
The alarm went off way to soon, just before 4am, and we were about to head off one the bikes when sean drew my attention to the sound of a light drizzle on the roof of the hotel parking.
We both decided it would be prudent to put wets on now, to save getting damp, and they would also provide a bit of marginal warmth against the morning chill.
By the time, we had struggled into our wet weather gear, it was fair pissing down! Good call Seano!
From Biloela in the teeming rain, to Banana, and a stop for Fuel (corner docket) and a bit of food. A chat with a truckie indicated a shortcut that might be of interest from Taroom through to Roma, I was giving this serious consideration, he said it would knock 60k’s off the trip, and as I didn’t need the extra K’s for the FarRide I thought I might just give it a go.
The rain continued to beat down between Banana and Theodore, and then started to ease quite dramatically, by Taroom it had almost stopped completely, but the roads were wet, and rivulets of water could be seen running down the verge.

Just before Taroom, I saw the turnoff indicated by the truck driver, and signalled Sean to say I was splitting off, and going my own way.
Within 3 k’s I’d already seen a couple of signs that indicated that the gravel road I was now on was for 4wd’s and was impaasable during wet weather, the best laid plans of mice and men, are oft to go astray, and as this was a half arsed plan to begin with, I could see it ending badly.
I figured that the 60 k’s and consequent time I could have saved, would end up being more than eaten up by the speed I could travel through mud, and any potential whoopsies, with the top heavy strom, and discretion won over valour. I turned back and onto the Leichardt highway again.
Heading down past Wandoan, I was assaulted by a crow! I have never in my whole life in any vehicle, even come close to hitting a crow before! They always seemed to be fairly traffic savvy, but this one flew right into my boot, bounced off my right hand pannier, and went spinning across the road.
No damage done to self or bike apparently, I continued on, catching up with Penguineer again, and passing him and his WTF look, on the way to Miles.
A quick stop at Guluguba to assess any actual crow strike damage (just a bit of a scuff mark on my Givi bag, and a couple of feathers hanging onto the pillion peg. Sean went past again while I was there, and then I passed him again further along. And then a solid run into Miles.

Stopped to fuel up at the Caltex, and started seeing many FarRiders, going past, this was where I found out that Clint and Charlene had gone down, (hope you guys are ok now), and from there set off following the pack into Roma.
At Roma I stopped for a pic at the Big Rig, stopped for a coffee at Maccas where I saw Toura and co, and then joined the procession for the last 87k’s into Mitchell.

What a sight at Mitchell!
All these motorcycles lined up outside the meeting point, and up the side street, absolutely fantastic!
Met a few people as soon as I got off the bike, assured that all my AKRON crew had made it safely to Mitchell I joined the long line, to present my docket.
Docket sighted and Kilometres stated, a celebratory beer was in order, and as the AKRON boys and girl were already at the pub, there was no waiting for that.
So now it appears that I am FarRider #332, a member of a select and august group of individuals, and very much looking forward to my next FarRide!
Christo.