AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 28-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
twowheeler
two wheels are best

Default Re: Slow Road to Muckle Flugga

Quite liking Dunvegan, tucked away in a quiet corner of Skye. Went for a bit of a walk up the Claigan road to help my breaky go down .

It's chronic - there's even Saints supporters here -

Actually, if you have a spare 13 hours and 250 quid, you can take a big fast launch to the real St.Kilda, a remote piece of rock way out in the Atlantic. It'd be great but I didn't have either, so kept going.

Past the Dunvegan Castle, which I didn't go into. Verdant -

Lots of wild rose hedges -

No bull -

But I met his girlfriend -

Lots of seals in Loch Dunvegan who refused to be photographed. I must have taken dozens of shots just as their heads went under, so gave up -

Enough of that, time to go and ride my bike, went east along the A850.

They were all sheltering beside their wee hoose -

I'd read a small article about a medieval cemetery at Skeabost, so went looking for it. Not easy to find, I went round in circles for a bit before asking a hotel gardener who put me right. It's on an island in the middle of the Snizort River. So parked the bike & went for a walk, down a lane, over a stile and through some gates, to St Columbia's Island. It's a peaceful spot in the midst of the rushing river, but it didn't look too impressive at first -

It was used as a church and burial ground from 1079 - 1498.

Then found what I was looking for. A 16th century effigy over a much earlier, supposedly Crusader grave -

Loved how it is such a natural place , not signs or walls or paths or any modern trappings to ruin it.
Same era apparently, not quite as well preserved -

I was and still am intrigued by this one . I'm thinking a pirate as it looks like a skull and crossbones, but surely this graveyard is too early for that -

The sun was starting to take over from the rain, which was pleasing . Back to the VFR, thanked the gardener and went north up the A87.

Uig. The ferry from here goes to the Outer Hebrides -

A little unclassified road goes east from Uig over the hills in the background. I took it, and after a few miles of beautiful but bleak moors, in a flash the world turned green and spectacular -

That was my first sight of the Quiraing after parking the bike and pulling on some walking boots and backpack.

One of those rare places that make you gasp when you first see them (well, it did me anyway ) -

Looking back south over the road. An amazing place -

Deceptive distance, it didn't look far to The Needle but it's a couple of miles all up -

Scrambled as high as I was game up the scree, then ate my brown-bag sandwich -

Video. Click to activate -

More to come . . .

Last edited by twowheeler; 29-07-2017 at 08:11 AM.
twowheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #22
nev
Super Térrarist

Just when you think the scenery there can't possibly get more spectacular... you post more !
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #23
twowheeler
two wheels are best

Tore myself away, back to the VFR and headed south down the A855. Short stop looking over the Sound of Raasay -

Then on. I'd intended to stop to climb The Storr, but its carpark was overflowing. This side of the island was really busy with tourists, a high percentage in motorhomes - the small ones aren't so bad but why do 2 people require a 30' barge of luxury-lard to block the roads with ? - thankfully with a grunty bike it was just blip down a gear or two, twist the wrist and listen to that beautiful engine open up as they disappear behind. Repeat. Maybe they weren't so bad .

Stopped a bit further down, at Loch Leathan, for a Storr photo from the south. I spoke to the farmer who's fence I sat upon for the pic. An old guy, he was waiting to cross the busy road over to his 4-wheeler. He told me that when he was a kid, growing up on this farm (he'd lived there his entire life, wow), he'd missed the last bus into town (Portree) one evening and instead had to walk the 5 miles, and was not passed by a single vehicle in that time -

Looped back to Dunvegan via the B885 and had an early kipper dinner, watching the cloud clear and the sun come out, which was excellent as I had plans that needed it .

About 8pm, struck out west along the B884, taking it very easy dodging sheep. Then left at Milovaig onto a narrow strip of tarmac that went over a hill and down toward Neist Point, which was nearly deserted .

Next to tiny Loch Mor, overlooking the cliffs to the south of Waterstein -

The cliffs go south to Ramasaig and beyond -

There are 2 sea waterfalls on the cliffs, the bigger one here -

Went walking again over Neist Point, the mostly westerly point of Skye, to its lighthouse -

Designed by Robert Louis Stevenson's cousin. On the horizon is Uist, Outer Hebrides -

Unmanned now, its old wharf & crane is still there -

Then walked back to get some Neist Point sunset shots, which was one of the aims of the trip . Can't choose between the best 3 so they're all going up -

More .....

Last edited by twowheeler; 07-08-2017 at 05:29 PM.
twowheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 11:43 PM   #24
dougman1
Pit Crew

Simply stunning.
Just the best ride Peter!
Bucket list, bucket list...
dougman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #25
twowheeler
two wheels are best

Quote:
Originally Posted by nev View Post
Just when you think the scenery there can't possibly get more spectacular... you post more !
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougman1 View Post
Simply stunning.
Just the best ride Peter!
Bucket list, bucket list...
Cheers. Skye lived up to its reputation for spectacular scenery. Trouble with bucket lists is that when you tick an item off you just add another - I want to come back here in winter now !