Three good men in a forest

nev

Super Térrarist
Modern tyres are amazing - riding on 3ps with only mild squirming in bends is pretty impressive!

That's thanks to the low profile. A very slow leak like that on a tubeless is dangerous, because it deflates so slowly that you don't notice it and you just gradually adapt to the poor handling characteristics of the bike without realising it. I like the idea of the tyre pressure monitor. After having it on the Vstrom for a couple of years I can't really imagine not having it, even though I have never used it to detect a puncture. Sometimes a little bit of gravel on a bend can cause the bike to squirm a bit which feels like a deflating tyre. A quick check of the pressure can deliver some peace of mind.

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
So Spock didn't have all the fun, my rear tyre deflated on the way home, noticed it not behaving above Yarra Glen, and pulled over, didn't check the tyre pressure though, for some reason I thought it might be a loose rear axle nut as I'd just done the chain tension and lube the day before. D'oh.

The lads pulled me over again in Greensborough because they could see it was flat. No obvious nails or holes, but the pressure was 3psi! Luckily I had my trusty tomcat mini-compressor which gave me about 25 psi to ride home on. Modern tyres are amazing - riding on 3ps with only mild squirming in bends is pretty impressive!

IMAG0589.jpg
884423_10151327801222190_1733854922_o.jpg

What are those stick coloured bits in the right hand pic?

ant

AngryAnt
Are they old puncture plugs? Just look like mangled stick ends due to the colour

Oh right, no they are the new plugs I'd just put in ..... They've been trimmed and have gone a nice dirty grey colour now :)

I think actually the first plug (on the raised section) was in error, there was a split that seemed to be leaking very slowly (good ol' spit test), when I tried to pump the tyre up the second one (in the tread crevice) was pissing out air.. so plugged that as well of course.

Have some Shinko 705s on order for the trip this later this month now.

Top Bottom