2006 Alpine Rally and around

Hytram

<-- now went that way
A few of us decided to hit the 2006 Alpine Rally which is held on the Snowy Mountains Hwy at Yarrangobilly in NSW on the Queens Bday Weekend

Day 1

Moike (R100RS “Superbike”) Stuart T (R1150GSA) and I (1 k Strom) headed off from Diamond Creek on the Friday moring. Headed up via Kinglake, Yea, Whitfield and Myrtleford for lunch. Then up via Redbank Road, the amazing Lockheart Gap then onto the even more amazing Granya Gap (3rd time lucky to get it dry!!). Then came the full speed ahead run along the Murray River Road into Tintaldra to say at the famous Tintaldra Hotel for the night.

(Claude's Matchless rat bike out the front of the Tintaldra pub)
IMG_1748.jpg

(Inside the pub)
IMG_1754.jpg

Day 2

A cold and foggy day welcomed us to the new morning and after a wonderful hot breakfast at the pub and a chain tightening on the Strom we headed off

(The Accom for the first Night)
IMG_1750.jpg

(The awaiting fog)
IMG_1755.jpg

(Stu Catching up with one of the other rally goers)
IMG_1757.jpg

It was desided to give the Eliott Way ago, usually covered in snow in winter only a speckle of snow was found

(Moike rounding a bend)
Untitled-1%20copy.jpg

A short stop at the Tumut 2 power station for the mandatory echo blast down the access tunnel (video to come) and the great climb up the hill towards Kiandra.

(Tumut 2 PS)
IMG_1758.jpg

What was to be a short stop at Yarrangobilly Cave for a quick coffee turn into a full tour of the caves, which was well worth it

(a quick cup of Joe)
IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

(inside the caves)
IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

When we got out from the cave the rain had started, great…. I had left my jacket on top of the bike and my helmet sitting on the mirror with the visor open.

Off to the rally site we go…… to be continued

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Yippee, great ride reports galore :D , don't know which one to click first, what's happenin' all of a sudden? :shock: :shock:

Great rides/ good stories and even better pics....
And a typical "Marty trademark" shot :D :D
IMG_1763.jpg

Love it !!!

Hytram

<-- now went that way
Day 2 Cont

A short run of a few Kms in the rain to the rally site, over a crest into a sea of tents. We road around a little to find AL58 and set up the tents in the rain and then made a detour to under a tarp next the the warmth of the camp fire.
And then the drinking, stone bombs, firworks and the bullshitting started....

(fire works on the Hwy)
IMG_1817.jpg

(Al58, Stuart T and Moike all bullshitting :lol: :lol: )
IMG_1822.jpg

(magnesium in the camp fire)
IMG_1835.jpg

(more magnesium)
IMG_1838.jpg

(even more magnesium)
IMG_1840.jpg

(Moike admiring some other bike's arse)
IMG_1842.jpg

to be continued

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Marty H said:
IMG_1842.jpg

That beemer ....think I've seen it before. At the campsite (about 35km north of Cooma, Canberra way), during the very first "Celebration of Aus Motorcycling" ride about '98/99 or thereabouts. It'd just come out of the paintshop then, beautiful job !!

moike

Old Fahrt
glitch said:
Marty H said:
IMG_1842.jpg

That beemer ....think I've seen it before. At the campsite (about 35km north of Cooma, Canbarra way), during the very first "Celebration of Aus Motorcycling" ride about '98/99 or thereabouts. It'd just come out of the paintshop then, beautiful job !!

I particularly like the effort the owner put into trying to match the front brake disk toi the rest of the bike.

art_tas

Getting the hang of it
moike said:
glitch said:
Marty H said:
IMG_1842.jpg

That beemer ....think I've seen it before. At the campsite (about 35km north of Cooma, Canbarra way), during the very first "Celebration of Aus Motorcycling" ride about '98/99 or thereabouts. It'd just come out of the paintshop then, beautiful job !!

I particularly like the effort the owner put into trying to match the front brake disk toi the rest of the bike.

Yeah, for minute I thoght maybe it was parked too close to the mageniusm smelter and cooked the rotor!!!! Good trip...what comes next??? Come ontease us a bit!

Hytram

<-- now went that way
art said:
Good trip...what comes next??? Come on tease us a bit!

ok then

Day 3

OMG it was fecking cold in the morining :shock: :!: :!: Im glad I took 2 sleeping bags. After a cup of Joe and Breakfast we packed up the tents, paid our fee, collected our badges and headed off towards Cooma

(making the coffee)
IMG_1876.jpg

(the KTM "coffee" option)
IMG_1869.jpg

(Moike's mule)
IMG_1874.jpg

(The Homestead)
IMG_1871.jpg

(5 rally goers that fell asleep in the wrong spot)
IMG_1868.jpg

(a Breva did make it!... just the wrong one)
IMG_1867.jpg

(Moike's camp)
IMG_1864.jpg

We made it about 3 kms up the road and the there start to be a fair bit of snow on the road, we spoke to other motorcyclist that had been a little further up and it got worse, so we did a U-turn and headed towards Tumut.

(the turn around point)
IMG_1877.jpg

Back down to the Murray River Rd for a flying run along which Moike imformed us that his first 1000km averaged 100Kh/h which included his run through Friday morning peak hour, a few dirt sections and plenty of tight twisties... a mightly fine effort.

Another lap over Granya Gap which is bloody brilliant going from north to south (not that south to north is bad) we then headed down to my favorate all time road, the Omeo Hwy....

to be continued

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
More, more, more :!: :!: :!:
It's a great read, come on....give us more ! :)

Top Bottom