didn't make it to Nindigully 2011....

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh man, just read that OP.
What a bastard of a trip that turned out!

That stator-story is a bit worrying....

penguineer

just luscious
Oh man, just read that OP.
What a bastard of a trip that turned out!

That stator-story is a bit worrying....

Yeah - particularly since I was hoping to use a bit of a "simple ride" as a bit of a pick-me-up.

I've been putting the stator failure down to heat - high ambient temp, clutch slip meaning more heat and higher revs generating more heat with less airflow than usual to help dissipate(yes, the Strom is liquid cooled, but airflow over the radiator and engine casing would have to help somewhat).

The road I fell over on was the Kingaham road - it looks like the Google car went through there(and lost contact a couple of times) but maps doesn't show it as passable. One of the weekend papers had it listed as a "scenic day trip" from Brisbane....

Cheers!

penguineer

just luscious
an expensive little ride from a little drop.

I think little had to do with the drop itself, but with so many things going on it's hard to seperate.

Damage directly related to the drop was the gear lever and left handguard and a few scratches on the pannier racks and crash bars.

Mechanics thought i should have gotten more out of the clutch, but when I mentioned that the wear represents about 80,000k of commute into Brisbane(stop, slow, traffic light, slow, traffic light, slow, slow, stop etc) they seemed less concerned. I think it was just time and it decided that time was now.....

Still don't know exactly where to place the blame for the stator......

Stator was about $600, clutch about the same, off the road for about a week, add services, tyres etc, I think I spent about $3k-$4k on the bike in the last month or two of 2011.

At least the trip home was covered by RACQ.....

Cheers!

S

Storm Shadow

oh well, when a clutch decides to go, they go pretty quickly

W

wobbly_boot

Stator was about $600, clutch about the same, off the road for about a week, add services, tyres etc, I think I spent about $3k-$4k on the bike in the last month or two of 2011.

At least the trip home was covered by RACQ.....

Cheers!

:eek:Yikes...3-4 grand on repairs!! nearly cheaper to get another good 2nd hand strom and use yours for parts (which weren't damaged)

Cheers

wobbly_boot

penguineer

just luscious
:eek:Yikes...3-4 grand on repairs!! nearly cheaper to get another good 2nd hand strom and use yours for parts (which weren't damaged)

Cheers

wobbly_boot

At that stage the bike had about 80,000km on the clock. So yeah - probably spent more than the bike was worth. (don't forget some of that cost was services and tyres).

It's not rational, but it's my bike.......

Cheers!

J

JC_

It seems that stators are becomming a common problem with the stroms. It has left me stranded at Ayers Rock and again at Wauchope. First one was done on warranty before the recall with the rectifier and the second I replaced myself

JC

penguineer

just luscious
It seems that stators are becomming a common problem with the stroms. It has left me stranded at Ayers Rock and again at Wauchope. First one was done on warranty before the recall with the rectifier and the second I replaced myself

JC

The first stator went at about 1 year/50000km on the highway to work. That was replaced under warranty.

At the time the only known issue with stator failure was related to the DL1000s(not the 650).

So there's been a recall or is that on the DL1000?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom