Renmark !

nev

Super Térrarist
Since SA trips are all the rage these days in this forum, I thought I'd go for another ride out North West of home, to Renmark.

I apologise for the lack of photos, once i got rolling, I really didn't stop to smell the roses much.

03:48 I woke up. (actually for about the 10th time since I'd gone to bed the night before) but it seemed a good time to get up.

04:08 I was geared up, thermals and wet weather gear. I wasn't expecting rain, but it keeps the wind off, and it wasn't really cold enough in Melbourne at that time to warrant the thermals, but I've been through Ballarat and Ararat before, so I know to budget for a cool morning.

07:32 I roll into the BP in Horsham for fuel. I had stopped around Ballan to adjust one of my driving lights but other than that it was a clear run with very little traffic on the Western Hwy as expected.

08:35 It's starting to warm up and I stop at the Serviceton rest area on the Vic/SA border to remove some layers, the jacket liner and wet weather pants come off, as well as my thermals top and bottom.

10:52 I roll into Tailem Bend (we're on CST now). There is a slight delay at the Corner of the Princes Hwy and the Dukes Hwy where a car turning right across the westbound traffic has been T-boned. The air ambulance is loading a patient and the traffic has been stopped, but I roll up just as they allow the traffic to proceed. 2km further on in Tailem Bend I bypass the first couple of petrol stations and go to the United, which has a Subway and a view.

After a refuel and a 6" sub I'm off again, headed northeast on the Karoonda Hwy. I'd never heard of this road until a couple of years ago when a body was found in a suitcase on the side of the road. I think these things are considered 'normal' in SA these days though.

12:50 I arrive at my final destination for the weekend, Renmark! Harrah. I find the Renmark Hotel/Motel where I have a room booked. It's opposite the river and is a lovely old art-deco building. Check-in is a breeze and I go up to my room to find where it is and use the amenities, (it becomes more apparent after a few hours without a toilet stop why they put the amen in amenities)

RenmarkHotel.jpg

....but it's only lunchtime... too early to stop riding I reckon...

14:10. After an hour or so along the Goyder Hwy more fuel is required at the Morgan Roadhouse, where the road turns northwards. I breeze through Burra and marvel at all of the wind generating turbines which run along the mountain ranges here. A brief stop in Caltowie for a snack, and then the run through Horrocks Pass out of the ranges and down onto the plains which run along the Spencer Gulf.

17:07 I stop at the BP at Port Augusta. I had passed a couple of other petrol stations to get to this one, but I know they have a roadhouse where I can get some food. The driveway is full but I find a gap and squeeze some fuel into my bike. Turns out I made the worst choice. The toilets are being renovated so they're out of action, the food service area is being renovated so it's out of action, and the EFTPOS machine at the counter has stopped working and there are 10 people queued ahead of me all requiring their cards to be pushed through the old cher-clunk paper machine. 20 mins later i'm back on the road. I've turned around and I'm heading south.

18:13 The roadhouse near the Port Pirie turnoff has toilets and a couple of hot dimsims (they are not related). It's a lovely evening. I stop here and watch the sun setting over the gulf. It's a perfect evening for riding. The weather around 20c. The sun is down. The road isn't too busy.

20:42 After ignoring suggestions from my GPS that I turn left at Port Wakefield and Paralowie, I find myself in the inner suburbs of Adelaide. It's a balmy Friday evening. Plenty of people out on the roads, but the traffic is flowing well. I am into the inner suburbs and I stop for fuel (you know, after doing one of those very long right turn, turn right again, turn right again manouvers that you have to do in cities with no u-turns allowed and concrete blocks along the centre lanes to discourage it. Fuel up and I check the receipt. BP Thorngate. These cities are full of suburbs I've never heard of.

Because I had to turn around to get to the service station on the other side of the road, I'm facing north again... I'll go that way.. I Retrace my route back to the Northern Expressway, which takes me east - go figure!?, through Gawler and onto the Sturt Hwy, following the Murray River again.

23:43 I roll into Renmark. There is a 24 hour BP next to a 24 Hour McDonalds. I need fuel for the bike and myself. There are a couple of other bikes in the Maccas Carpark. I pull up next to the bikes and blow me down if it isn't my old mate Chris. I grab a burger and have a chat. As we stand there a few more bikes turn up. I push the barge over the the bowsers and I don't think the staff at BP know what's hit them. Ever bowser has a bike refuelling. G'day Ron, G'day Frog, G'day Karl, G'day John. What are the chances all these people I know would go for a ride today and turn up at midnight in Renmark?

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Geez Nev, you sure do get around.
Thats some serious distance for a day's riding. How you can get up at 3.48 am and ride all day and all night is very impressive.
Good on you! :clap:

Top Bottom