AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #256
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Default Re: Tornanti_2...Three Weeks Of Carve Till Ya Barf!!

after a magic ride there I had one of those "Top Gun" moments..

I heard this noise behind me, my first thought was a R1 with a full race system on it was right up my clacker wanting to over take, but no, I looked over my left shoulder to see a F18 about 10 mts off the deck and about a few 100mts from me with the landing gear down and vortexes streaming off the wing tips coming into land, even though it was only "idling" it was prolly doing 300kmh. It touched down and then went into full throttle for a touch and go, the sound was farcan incredible, a cacophony of shear power echoing off the rock faces of the kilometre high mountains around me...

it was so much like this it wasnt funny, but the scenery was so much nicer, so was the rider

I didn't have alot of an idea of where I was but my GPS was telling me Axalp was not too far away, the F18 was a plain give away too. Then the traffic just stopped. I just over took everyone and rode up the left hand side, even after riding for near 3 weeks on the wrong side of the road it still felt wrong, I rode like that for about 1 kms to come across a bloke dressed in Army Camo directing traffic, I thought..oh shit. A big smile came on his face, said something in German and waved me through, who was I to argue

Another 500 mt was a couple of people collecting money for parking, 10Fr, they waved me to the left of them with again with a big smile, said something in German and pointed me up the hill.... God I love this country!!!

The road up to Axalp was the typical affair, mostly a lane and half wide (if that) and very soon the cars where grid locked, again straight up the left hand side. Some few Kms up the road even the bikes had stopped, about 20 of them, the road was so narrow, there was a bus blocking the road. After about 20 mins the bus could move a couple of meters to at least let the bikes get through around the next bend the reason for the blockage, a broken down bus, nowhere to go.

The 20 bikes just hammered it up the last 5 or so Kms.

We all reached the bottom of the chair lift, time to find a park I thought, no? The first bike rider was talking to another Army person that again, with a big smile waved us all through 100's of people lined up for the chair lift (right through the middle of them!!) and up the road to the top of the chair lift and beyond...

From there is was the 600mt vertical "walk" over 2 KMs that almost killed me, some places where over 45degrees and I was being over taken by children and grandparents alike.

After a few drinks and a sausage I found a spot to die and wait for the 3 hours to the show, which was bloody hard to take with a view like this (please click on the yellow bar, its worth it)

to be cont.
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #257
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Not the greatest photo, but the smoke out the front is from the "live" fire

A fly by from the F18 Hornets and F5 Tigers

When Helicopters shit themselves!

I reckon Swiss Helicopters spend more time facing the wrong way than normal

this was the main viewing area, it was another 1 km or 2 walk.. best place to view the show

This Heli just flew in half way through the show and just hovered infront of us, 30 sec later a F18 flew straight over it
at a zillion miles/hr firing live ammo

A F18 on its return path

I could watch these things just fly to and from for hours... hang on, I did

This is the Swiss version of the Roulettes, the "Patrouille Suisse"

the last flyover of the choppers

everyone going home, it was a very impressive turnout, both for a weekday and the fact it took so long to make it there

Oh, BTW, I forgot to add... the cost for the airshow... Free
Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #258
Hytram
<-- now went that way

although I have a heap on Video of the day, I cant seem that seeing the light of day for awhile

here is a great vid of the 2009 show, its really covers it all

Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #259
motorradrudi
Cruiser

Hello Marty,

sinply spectacular!!!

Thanks for the fantastic pics and the video!

I didn't know, that the Swiss-Army is doin' that!
Never heard from that.

Great show!!!

Best greatings from Germany
Rudi
Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #260
omi
Rookie

Hi Pete !! What A TRIP !coming to an end soon > For me it could be an neverending story, never bored. Waiting for the final days. Love mum