Whirlwind Tour of SA (& the Grampians)

T

Tom90

Wow, what a response. Thank you all for the kind words. This seems like a fantastic little community.

Ruku: No GPS except for a handheld hiking style navigator which I only brought to cover for the eventuality that I was seriously lost. Navigation was a combination of the Hema Motorcycle Atlas maps and blind luck. :) More route planning is a must next time. I think the downfall was failing to appreciate what long distance motorcycle riding is actually like. I'd look at the distance and go "Only 300kms? I'll only ride for 3 hours a day!" but in hindsight that's a better distance with stops, rest etc. I always try to straddle that line between planning and spontaneity when it comes to travelling. Definitely tweaks to be made next time.

Sir Francis: Hopefully you guys can co-exist with a bunch of eager young whipper snappers!

I'll upload more pictures tonight. The site I was using crashed earlier.

T

Tom90

Rest stop just outside Beachport. Didn't have time to head into the town center.
Day_1_Beachport_rest_stop.jpg

The Blue Lake (duh)
Day_1_Blue_Lake.jpg

Paddock outside Robe
Day_1_Cow_Paddock_with_Bike.jpg

Granites Beach on the way to Kingston (I think?)
Day_1_Granites_Beach.jpg

Robe harbor. Lovely town.
Day_1_Robe_Harbor.jpg

Textbook country humour.
Day_1_Salt_Creek_Pissing_Sign.jpg

Wicked Van. These are becoming super popular.
Day_1_Salt_Creek_Wicked_Van.jpg

Another snap of Portland docks. This pic has an extra in the bottom right corner...
Day_2_Portland_Harbor_2.jpg

Pants off Thursday in Border Town.
Day_2_Bordertown_Camp.jpg

Masonic Temple in Garoke. How random.
Day_2_Garoke_Masonic_Temple.jpg

The Grampians view. Stopped for lunch up by the lookout and read my book. Tourists thought me to be most odd.
Day_2_Grampians_View_2.jpg

Pitstop heading into Grampians from the south.

Day_2_Into_Grampians_me_by_bike.jpg

Lake Bellfield.
Day_2_Lake_Bellefield.jpg

Unbelievably cute mini-horsies (That's the technical name...)
Day_2_Mini_Horses.jpg

Pine forests near Nelson.
Day_2_Outside_Portland.jpg

This is the pic when the camera decided to go flat. I'm not surprised, I wouldn't want to look at that either.
Day_3_Breakfast_by_road.jpg

On the way to Loxton.
Day_3_Rest_stop.jpg

Murray Bridge
P2050010.jpg

Coorong
P2050017.jpg

View from the saddle outside Horsham
P2060090.jpg

Devastatingly I missed the view from the Walker Flat - Mt Pleasant road. I'll be heading out there in the next few weeks to get pictures next time I go for a ride.

MGS12_8V

Getting the hang of it
Great report Tom. I too got a bit nostalgic being from SA originally. All that on your Ls is a fantastic effort. :clap: I can't remember what is was doing when I was on my Ls but I was 16 and still in High school on Yorker Peninsula and I doubt the old man would have been happy if I took off on the CB125 for 4 days.

And there are twisty roads in SA, but certainly not the volume we're blessed with over here in Vic or up the east coast. But then again the roads so seem to get as wet as often. :wink:

Keep on getting out there and well done!

twowheeler

two wheels are best
That was a great report and pics Tom :clap:.

I was stuck behind two hideously oversized RV's heading into Portland and was complaining into my helmet about the need for two people to take an enormous bus and tow a completely empty vehicle behind them, just to see the country.

Yep, and they would have been bored out of their brains as 1 day rolled the same into the next and into the next. On a bike, that is never an issue !

Top Bottom