'Bogies Boogie, Yeeha!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The forecast didn't look too flash....and the run to the meeting point in Healesville showed some dramatic skies.
Fat Blackbellies backlit by shafts of early morning sunshine...nature put on one of her specials.

Only Adrian and Peter showed up, finishing up with 4 Stroms, 3x650s and the WTF_2.
The small group hopped across the true_to_its_name Black Spur (burned by the recent bushfires), which didn't look too bad compared to what followed north-east of Narbethong, with everything burned to the ground both sides of the road for the next 25k's.... a truly sad view.

The backroad to Eildon was all green though...as was the Skyline Road.
Surprisingly few rocks on the road this time, and too early in the year for the moss to appear, the twisties are as good as ever.
:clap:

Bogies01.JPG

Another sad view....the nearly dried out Lake Eildon from the Skyline Road.

Bogies02.JPG

Adrian's a bit sceptical...:bt

Bogies03.JPG

As always, the views into the High Country are superb

Bogies04.JPG

Bogies05.JPG

Penny's Pinch...just about to drop down to Peppin Point

Bogies06.JPG

Down the Sonnberg Rd.

Bogies07.JPG

Bogies08.JPG

Some sweet twisties along ther shores of Lake Eildon to Bonnie Doon, then the shortg of boring Hwy droning to Barjarg....and a tack west into the pine plantations and native bush.
Things got a bit slippery and therefore busy...no pics.
Some broken, bumpy asphalt got us into Strathbogie township.

After the leisurly lunch it's west once more, the small dam/ lake and those rockshelves below invited another stop...and some pissfarting around :thumbs:

A true little gem of the Highlands

Bogies09.JPG

Bogies10.JPG

Bogies11.JPG

Bogies12.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The Strathbogies are one of my "special places"....very, very few tourists, sparsely populated....nobody around. A few farmers, the locals meet at the shop at Strathbogie or the Co-op at Ruffy for their milk and paper....and that's about it.
The highlands are choked with granite boulders and weird rock formations amongst clumps of bush, wide open farmlands, waterfalls and a maze of spectacular little roads (most dirt) and stunning lookouts...thankfully a place not many do go.

Bogies13.JPG

Bogies14.JPG

Bogies15.JPG

Another perspective....

Bogies16.JPG

Heading west...the pace is up, the afternoon getting long.

Bogies17.JPG

Bogies18.JPG

The Shrek getting the berries...

Bogies19.JPG

The last bit of dirt runs along a creek towards Seymour

Bogies20.JPG

Bogies21.JPG

Back on the tar.....and another dogleg up the Highlands Road.
Goodie's found the Shrek's roadlegs and gives me a hard time through the kidney-pounding twisties to Highland Junction :glu:glu :so.

The last thrill of the day is the blind-cresting left-hander down towards Yea, which sprouts a nice, wide loose gravel seam right "on the line"...some of the antics would've easily made to the "Funniest Home Vids"...but everyone came through, some on the wrong side of the road :oops::oops::chug:

Just on 300k's since the last fill up in Healesville...WTF1000= 15.6l....Shrek650= 13.6l....neat going :so

Being too late in the day, we took Melba Hwy (and the depressingly burned_bare Slide) for the way home...

The Glenburn Pub is only a pile of rubble, some tin-sheets and a couple of brick-fireplaces, the blackened trunks on the Slide morph into the blackened paddocks around Dixons Creek...

Shortly before Yarra Glen we duck back under a solid cloud-cover...what a GREAT DAY!!

slobber.gif
slobber.gif

Hope, Adrian and Pete can put up some more pics

Bogies14.JPG

Did he remember the colour film this time? He has a bad habit of going for the cheap Black and white only.

And my days consisted of ..... household chores. :looney:

But at least I've cleared the decks for the next 6 or 7 weekends.

farawayman

Long Timer
Great pictures Pete, looks like a fun day.

Bogies15.jpg

I wanted to come but I had told my son-in-law i'd give him a hand getting his car ready for a road worthy, well he watched and passed tools and I did the work. Next time give me a bit more notice will ya. :bang:

V Twin.

Getting the hang of it
Just worked out how to get the photos up

3379056410_6939236390_b.jpg

3379053566_1a7a7a2822_b.jpg

3378236385_82e9c9d055_b.jpg

Thanks to Goodie for this one

3378239103_220bb3ab52_b.jpg

My favourite part of the ride was where we rode through what seemed like privite property with no fences for the cattle on the side of the track. Just a cattle grate every km or so

Cheers
Peter

adriano

Just through the door
Thanks Glitch & Goodie,

'twas another one of those 'rare' days :gluperfect blend of company, weather, route, and very little traffic.

It started for me at 7.24am leaving central melb to the meet at Healesville, as i always allow time for a detour :whistle:

As I rolled into Healesville, the clouds parted, and a ray of diffused light lit up the burnt ranges that were shrouded in a fine mist - just a few seconds..... some of this ride was going to be tough..

A coffee and cholesterol desert set me off nicely at 8.30am for the 9am meet - this car decided it needed classy company at the Beechworth Bakery
p349946801.jpg

- the beast will never be this clean again......

Goodie was chariot master for Shrek, at least for the first bit, and this indicated to me that Pete was totally comfortable he'd sorted out the beast... another work of art.

Here's Pete asking Goodie not to start with a mono down main street
p487887888.jpg

Peter is on the blue beast, and riding with worn nobbies - which seemed the perfect receipe to stay on Glitchs tail....mad i say!!:gday:

p189114743.jpg

Our first stop was on the Skyline road above Eildon dam - and I was still trying to process the apparent randomness of the devestation we'd riden through - there was no apparent rhyme or reason to which houses/businesses survived, and those that were rubble and twisted iron.

I love my photography, but there was no way I could even contemplate stopping - I did not expect to feel this so strongly.

The wind was howling here:
p383430069.jpg

p348838230.jpg

and they make a great pair!:clap:
p367366047.jpg

I'll stop here and post some more in the morrow. cheers, adrian

nev

Super Térrarist
My favourite part of the ride was where we rode through what seemed like privite property with no fences for the cattle on the side of the track. Just a cattle grate every km or so

Nice road isn't it. Jo and I found that one after ride to the Ruffy Produce Store. The owner recommended it to us while she was taking our lunch order.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Yo, like that pic the best out of my booty for the day..:chug:
...and naw, it was a rotten day, lousy company, shitty weather and boring roads/ tracks :bt

I wanted to come but I had told my son-in-law i'd give him a hand getting his car ready for a road worthy, .....

Yeah, yeah, yeah...no shame in admitting that a WHOLE DAY amongst all those fabulous Stroms would've caused a GS-rider unbearable depression.
:bt :devil::devil:

Top Bottom