Fuzzy finds a bunyip.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
OK, I give up! I cant load a map screen shot. At Ruffy we went straight ahead. I told Lynne, I know where I am going, about 5 k of dirt, we came out near Seymour! Anyway the scenery was nice. I will send you the map Glitch and see if you can work your magic on it.

Hi mate

It's the 2. map here , but Gmaps just doesn't want to know about the straighter, more direct connection between points D +E...which is one of the best stretches :thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
With a late start it was either trying to play catch-up...or just take our time and check out a few roads that'd been sitting there and begging for year.
There are 3 roads that run south from the Mansfield-Mt. Buller Rd., and either/ all make a nice continuation of the Old Tolmie Rd. towards Jamieson....if you're happy with gravel roads, that is.

According to some maps they're all linked up at the south, one leading into the other and exiting onto the Mansfield-Jamieson Rd.
On other maps then don't even exist or there's no connecting bits in the south.
Time to find out.

Jamieson_001.JPG

The most eastern one, Powers Rd. is a beaut, little road... narrowing into a bare-earth track, dipping across a few shallow hill-tops

Jamieson_002.JPG

Jamieson_003.JPG

Jamieson_004.JPG

Jamieson_005.JPG

Jamieson_006.JPG

Around point B on above map it crests a small knoll, then drops steeply in a couple of hairpins across a rock-seam towards a gate on Chapel Hill Rd., the next road that runs parallel. Things looked fairly rough and the ground glistened a deep/ wet dark-brown with loads of churned up loose/ muddy stuff on top, obviously the local livestock did have a party here pretty recently.
Back we go....the views are brilliant across the paddocks towards Mt. Sterling.

Jamieson_007.JPG

Back to the main Rd. , then south on Chapel Hill...which is fine to about the gate we saw from our return-point.

Crossing the Delatite River

Jamieson_008.JPG

Jamieson_009.JPG

Once more it turns into a bare earth farm track, getting softer as we go on.

Jamieson_010.JPG

Jamieson_011.JPG

Point E becomes the "high point" of the road, after the sharp kink the same livestock-party must've really hit the straps, the ground is churned well over ankle-deep, no way through this slush.
When dry, it should be fine... and again the views are magnificent. :glu
Of course, it'd be even better on a clear day with blue skies.:thumbs:

Back to the main rd. once more and another cut south on Hearns Rd., which is sealed for the first few k's, before turning to good gravel near the Delatite River bridge.

I quickly duck into Chapel Hill Rd. from this end, but the 10-12 ft wide and quick-flowing, muddy-brown creek-crossing puts a stop to things, again there are lots of churned up hoof-marks on both sides, no idea how deep and soft that crossing might be.

Wairere Rd. to point I turns into yet another dead end, this time man-made.

Back onto Boorolite Rd. for a few k's of tar-seal and the main Mansfield-Jamieson Rd.

Some nice views from Jamieson-Eildon Rd. Lookout

Jamieson_012.JPG

Walk??? For a whole 3km? Couldn't hold 'em back :whistle:
Not, when there's a brewery calling....

Jamieson_013.JPG

Jamieson_014.JPG

Jamieson_015.JPG

Around Jamieson Sunday morning

Jamieson_017.JPG

Jamieson_018.JPG

Jamieson_019.JPG

Jamieson Public Library...open all hours. As well as baskets with free lemons, apples...and some undefined, brown lumps. :)

Jamieson_020.JPG

Sunday morning turns out a sparkler!! :chug:

Gaffney's Creek on the Woods Point Rd.

Jamieson_022.JPG

A1 Mine, the big tunnel/ mine entrance and all the generators and steel-gantries now blocked off by a wall that looks like a small dam.

Jamieson_023.JPG

Flipping across the saddle into Woods Point.

Jamieson_024.JPG

Jamieson_025.JPG

Jamieson_026.JPG

It sure is a sparkler!!

Jamieson_027.JPG

Some shots around Woods Point

Jamieson_028.JPG

Jamieson_029.JPG

Jamieson_030.JPG

Jamieson_031.JPG

Big Rod

Jamieson_033.JPG

Wattles still in full bloom in the bush

Jamieson_034.JPG

While the traffic was sparse and conditions good this time around, I always look forward to getting off the "Woods Point Hwy" and onto the side-roads.
Didn't know there was a sign up for this one :eek:

Jamieson_035.JPG

What a great weekend, a big thanks to everyone....and it was nice to see a few "new/old" faces.

Which brewery next? :chug:

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Members of the 'I survived the Toolangi' club

A Bonnie Doon bridge

More Eildon serenity

Some loons channeling Ned by the Kelly Tree.

Dirty, dirty Tiger

Tigers in the Wilderness

Hardcore Biker

Top Bottom