Tornanti Road Yarns Part 3_Final

M

Michael J

The next yarn will start in about 8 weeks from now :so:so

Whither?

I pick up a rental GS on July 4th in Switzerland. Presently having a hard time focussing on work and other non-essential stuff :wink:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Whither?

I pick up a rental GS on July 4th in Switzerland. Presently having a hard time focussing on work and other non-essential stuff :wink:

Yeah, yeah...rub it in.
Ohhh mate....only 4 weeks to go for you!!
Hope the weather will be kind to you and all passes open!
What's the route this time?

art_tas

Getting the hang of it
Well guys Time to rev you up a bit ready for Suisse (and the rest) a quick flash back to Tornanti 1..hee..hee

Star Date October 1, 2007

"We head for the Dolomites Mtns today. Its a boring commuter run to Bolzen and congestion galore..hmm..reminds me of Melb.Oz. But Pete soon gets us around the centrale chaos. We use the Sarntal valley with its 10.8Kms of tunnels. In a few of these I hold my breath so as not to consume the diesel fumes that almost choke you. It's in this state of semi-narcosis I invent a few notes of the road rules learned so far on T1..so here goes:

1) A scooter can pass either side w/out signalling
2) A scooter can use both lanes and lane split
3) A roundabout is a place to meet people
4) Overtaking can occurr anywhere, the closer the better
5) A red light is a place for bikes to sit first (cab off the rank)
6) slow moving vehicles must always be passed regardless of the road ahead
7) oncoming bikes may use your lane and theirs at the same time
8) "Stop" means think about it
9) Pedestrain crossings are black and white death strips - NO one enters them when traffic is moving
10) Cow shit stinks and will spit you off if you try to ride it
11) Beware Merc/BMW/Audi drivers who cannot stay right when a bike is behind them

...And some just for Italy
12) Speed signs are multiplication tests you need to know the max speed is 2x what's on the sign
13) Police can and will pass inside a tunnel on a solid white line

Ok ...back to the tunnel I take a breath of the fresh, crisp Mtn air and we exit into 12 degs C after the tunnel temps reach double that mid point and we push on to Brixen to meet Rudi and the Alpen bikers..and a fang up the Wuerzjoch ...the Dolomites are calling us back...to be continued..on T2

Cheers
Tim Tim

Top Bottom