Finke 2015 (Spectator, not racer!)

-Macca-

Getting the hang of it
One thing I couldn't get over was how much 'suction' the dust had on the track. I could feel it pulling on my boots while walking over it:

DSC_0300_zpsvdtnpmtu.jpg

So, Sunday. Day one. Everyone heads south towards Finke. Cars and buggies start early (really bloody early), so with coffee in hand, I staggered the 10 or 12 steps required to get to the edge of the track. After the first trophy truck went through, I staggered back again to close my swag to keep the dust out.. :mad: Chris-mate had warned us that they hadn't had any rain recently, so it'd be dusty, but I didn't think it'd be that dusty. Tip for anyone playing along at home - the redder the dirt, the less dusty it generally is. Head down the track further!

After the cars and buggies went through, we wandered down the track 50 metres or so to get into the start of the woops to watch the bikes.

Wait for it.. Wait for it..

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHE1tkm5_rk&feature=youtu.be"

:cool:

Even had a bit of ring-ding-ding..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT5vjf7NuxE&feature=youtu.be

Steve Quinn (from Karratha) binned it directly in front of us. Chris-mate & Chris started dragging his bike off the track while I helped drag him out of the way. He was holding onto his knee, and not looking too crash hot. When I asked if he wanted to stay down or try and stand up he was already clawing his way up my arm. He tore his goggles off and asked me to clean them as he started falling down again because his knee wouldn't support him. :eek: At that point, we had the paramedics land behind us in the chopper:

DSC_0313_zps5fkbhnqz.jpg

The paramedic ran over, looked into Steve's eyes and then started the questioning:

Para: What's your name?
Steve: Steve!
Para: What day is it?
Steve: Umm. Err.. Heading south. Must be Sunday
Para: Close enough. You want to keep riding?
Steve: Where's me bike?

So, we assisted him back onto his bike, and sent him on his way. Unfortunately we found he didn't make it - he came off again a bit further down, and couldn't get back on. :(

(Dunno what the go is with the never ending url link - sorry!)

-Macca-

Getting the hang of it
Monday. They're all coming back.

On the bright side, this morning wasn't such an early start as the racers had ~200km to complete before they got to us. As per the previous day, cars and buggies first, a bit of a break, and then the bikes and quads.

There were quite a few cars less coming back - we'd seen a few on the back of flatbeds coming back up the access road during the evening/night.

Those buggies don't muck about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs8wkE_-IbI

Keep in mind, he's on the brakes for about half of that clip..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS68FKna-x0&feature=youtu.be

Waiting for the bikes. First you hear the chopper. Then you see the chopper. About the same time as you see the chopper, you hear the screaming 4 stroke coming through the scrub.

I've worked out why Toby Price stands up - and it's not because it's better for bike control. For a bloke to do an AVERAGE speed of 125km/h over ~450km in that terrain, he'd have to have a set of plums the size of watermelons making it impossible to sit down! :wow::looney:

We hung around all afternoon and cheered on all the bikes as they came past. Some were absolutely buggered, struggling to lift a foot of a peg to acknowledge us (I wouldn't be letting go of the bars either!), others were just cruising along at their own pace, happy to complete the event. :clap:

After the sweep vehicles went through, we packed up camp and headed back to Chris-mate's place for a decent shower (oh, and a drink or 3 :chug:)

-Macca-

Getting the hang of it
Tuesday morning. Time to start heading home. Before that though, we need to go a touch further north:

DSC_0317_zpsuht1qkkv.jpg

Up to the tropic of capricorn for a photo. Chris had never been to Ayers Rock before, so we decided we'd head out that way. Bit of bitumen running until we hit Ernest Giles Drive, which gave us another ~100km or dirt and sand before coming out a Curtin Springs (the destined camp spot for the night). Left the KLR at Curtin Springs while we took the AmaROK out to the Rock. Unfortunately, it was closed due to high winds at the summit, so we set up our chairs at the designated photo point, and had cheese and bikkies and bourbon while watching the sun set:

DSC_0322_zpsthufdefm.jpg

Top Bottom