2016_Frosty Frolic_Tungamah

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Sir Frank rode through the sub zero frost to our house for breakfast. After he defrosted in front of the fire we all had bacon and egg muffins and cappuccino.

First stop was the old pub beside the bridge in Murchison.

Then over Kirwins Bridge at Nagambie.

This bridge has been a political hot potato for years. They say elections have been won and lost over promises to reopen this relic after it was deemed unsafe and closed. Despite press releases about works started, looks like they've done nothing more than put signs up saying 20kph limit and sprayed pink Xs on the rotted planks.
It was certainly 'pick a plank' trying to cross it!

Johhny (and yours truly!) were yet again drooling over Lisa's MV Augusta :glu when the offer was made for Johnny to sit on it. He had a grin from ear to ear but then Lisa let him start it!!!
Crikey! He revved the living crap out it! :bs

Goodonya Lisa. You're a champion. :clap:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Re: Tungamah weekend away Frosy Frolic

Heathcote.
Nev and Jo caught up with the gang here after detouring via Southbank for a new battery. Strike 1 says Jo!

After falling in love with Lisa's MV Augusta, Silvio turns up with this! :glu Talk about your dream team! :thumbs:
EBR SX1100. Not sure of the details but I think it's a special made by the guy who produced the Buell range?? Anyone?

Jo scoffed a snot block from the Tatura bakery. She said it was a continental slice or something. Looked like a snot block to me. :bt

From Heathcote we back-tracked to Murchison via Kirwins bridge again. Then across to Rushworth and around the back of the Waranga Basin. Shame we didn't stop at Rushworth. The views over the basin were lovely green fields and a long length of damn wall that must have taken a shipload of dirt to build.

Rob had to lower himself to riding the Goldwing as his BMW had been crashed.......by the dealer no less!!!
He looks happy enough here but trouble is lurking just down the road. Things are about to turn pear shaped. More to follow. :watch:

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Another gratuitous pic of Johnny on Lisa's bike. ......I got more!

Servo 1k out of Numurkah.

After Tatura we headed up to Nathalia. Bernie proved that K series beemers are faster that R series. The shame! :sick:

Then we stopped for fuel at the above servo just out of Numurkah. Gary, Bernie and Silvio were missing. Tim was on the phone and it seems there was a flat. It was later discovered that it was actually a problem with the tyre sealing on the rim and it was pushed to a local farmers shed. Someone else can tell the story, but we were told to wait at the servo. After a while the call came through to head off towards Tungamah without them. The couple from Wang went straight across to Katamatite and someone followed, but as I turned out, Nev and Jo and the others started heading South towards Shep. Now they have the GPSs so I took off after them with Rob. We turned Eastward at Wunghyu then I noticed Lisa and Rob had dissappeared. I rode up beside Jo to let her know and we pulled over and waited. Eventually they appeared but Rob was just rolling to a stop. His Goldwing was constantly shutting down, requiring a rest before it would start again.
I know the feeling! :killingme

He finally got it going but now we hit the dirt roads and neither of us were keen on that. Jo must have been talking to Nev on the bluetooth jiggers, and she said to continue on the dirt as it wasn't far. When we got to the Tocumwal road I saw the couple from Wang go sailing past, missing the Tungamah turnoff. Never saw them again. Then Rob's bike died again. And again, and again 3k from the Tungamah pub! Finally nursed him home to find the dusties, who had discovered there's no petrol in Tungamah. They had been into Yarrawonga for fuel.
So after leaving Tatura with 20 odd riders, there was only Rob and I riding together by the time we reached Tungamah. Lisa and Jo rocked up 5 mins later, and eventually everyone was happily imbibing on Tooheys Black while Goodie had a cup of tea. Strongest smelling tea I've ever known. :whistle:

Ostracised!

The bikes were being locked up for the night so we were kicked out to the street.

Johnny and I chatted to the locals at the fish n chip shop. Tungamah won the footy by 13 goals!
By 7.50 it was freezing and a bloke at the bar said it was foggy, so we made tracks for our comfortable beds at home.
I couldn't see much more than 20' in front of me. The high beam made it worse. Got home at 8.30pm frozen solid!
We shall return in the morning.

Night. Cold. Dark. Foggy. Now where the hell is that high beam switch??? Note, pub is up for auction next Saturday. Might go.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Day 2

Somewhere on Toke road. Near G'bat.

Sir Frank facebooked us that brekkie was underway at the pub so we headed off in the sub zero temps to get there before 9. It was sooooo cold!:sick:

From St James to Tungamah it was actually becoming too painful to bear. Finally the warmth of the pub was in sight but as we turned the corner, there was everybody on their bikes, engines running, ready to go. :bang:

I jumped off and grabbed Goodie for some warmth, then off we went again. Fortunately things started warming up but I stayed at the back of the pack.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
In hindsight John was a little too joyful to tell me it was below zero as I left the tree house.

P1070278-X2.jpg

P1070281-X2.jpg

P1070280-X2.jpg

At Oxley I was down to 60km/h visor open 20m visibility. :looney:

Hit the Hume and POW POW

P1070282-X2.jpg

Much to John's disgust I arrived with an empty tank of gas.

I knew if I'd taken my helmet off, there was not way I had enough feeling in my fingers to do the strap again :wot:

Coffee and breakfast. Feeling back in fingers. We set out into this.

P1070283-X2.jpg

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Across to Murchison.

P1070285-X2.jpg

P1070288-X2.jpg

Wonky wobbly bridge.

P1070289-X2.jpg

P1070291-X2.jpg

P1070295-X2.jpg

Timed to perfection. We arrived at the petrol station as the Melb Roadies were pulling in. :thumbs:

Lunch in the park at Heathcote.

P1070297-X2.jpg

P1070298-X2.jpg

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Nev n Jo arrived just as we were gearing up to set off.

Colin set the next stop in his GPS. An hour plus of the GPS telling him to do a U-turn we arrived in Tatura. Colin thinks there should be a 'following Timbo / Glitch" setting which basically means the GPS simply gives up and enjoys the ride. :killingme

P1070300-X2.jpg

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Hmmm.......?

P1070302-X2.jpg

P1070303-X2.jpg

Man, Garry was determined to make the Tungamah pub.

He went fully McGyver - quick guys, let's construct a rudimentary tyre changing machine from some blocks of wood, a rusty tail shaft and a garage support column....:bs

P1070304-X2.jpg

P1070306-X2.jpg

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Everyone had made it to Tungamah pub by 7pm.

P1070308-X2.jpg

P1070309-X2.jpg

It's not too late if anyone wants to buy a pub....

P1070307-X2.jpg

They had the fire pit cranked outside so we finished the night in the freezing cold with alternatively a warm back or warm front....:thumbs:

Top Bottom