retracing my past

spenaroo

Just through the door
while i haven't done any noteworthy riding in the last few months,
just small hops when i can enjoying the recent acquisition of the vstrom.
i thought id dip my toe in and do my first ride report. around this time last year I did a trip i had wanted to do for several years since I started riding.

you see I spent the first 18 years of my life growing up in Adelaide, moving to Melbourne with family so my mum could care for her parents. since then i hadn't been back to adelaide for any reasonable time. so since i started riding at 19 Ive desired to visit on a bike.

after 4-5 years i finally found the time (and set up the bike) to do this.

here is the diary posts i put up on facebook at the time. (partly for my perants. and also i enjoyed writing them at the end of the day while eating dinner.

Day 1 - Melbourne to Apollo bay
A rather boring transport stage in the morning as I made my way through the city and into torquay. Always enjoy going over the Westgate bridge, but it was the yellow canola fields past avalon that caught my eye this time.
After a pie for lunch I saw that I had plenty of time in the day so started the great ocean road.
In truth the road doesn't really start till after the light house. And it's an absolute cracker, its a rollcoaster of sweeping bends with corners almost winding back on themselves in some points. The terrain is quite majestic, with the road constantly rolling up or down hill. Quite a feeling to roll down into a corner and start climbing again midway through it. The speed limit is reasonable. It matches my pace with only a handful of corners having the brakes applied before entry.
When stuck behind slow vehicles it gave me a chance to look off the road ahead and glance down the cliffs to the rocky outcrops and beaches below. So many little bays, could park and spend the afternoon at a beach to yourself.
Especially beautiful with the turquoise water sparkling like a jewel.

12088129_10204804618226241_8819575360704837175_n.jpg

12074659_10204804618186240_2341309631174545894_n.jpg

12047004_10204804618146239_9216729447832490409_n.jpg

Edit: this is the first time ive experienced the great ocean road

Sir Francis

Displaced person
:watch:

Much maligned in recent years because of the speed limits, level of Police activity and often many tourists, but still a great road which follows the ocean, and always enjoyable.

Bah humbug Willy.:devil:

Sheesh I'm old enuff to remember when it was 100kmh and a bit of a race track.

Man them days was fun.

These days.....pfffft.....the only way I will ride the formerly Great Ocean Road is half tanked in the passenger seat of a convertible piloted by a glorious tall blonde woman or on a pushy.....:bs

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... I'm old enuff to remember when it was 100kmh and a bit of a race track.....

I'm old enough to remember when the limit was 60mph. It 'twas fun then, and now, even despite the aforementioned constraints.

C'mon spenaroo, ya better keep spinning ya yarn and a posting ya pics before it gets ugly.

spenaroo

Just through the door
C'mon spenaroo, ya better keep spinning ya yarn and a posting ya pics before it gets ugly.

as you wish,
it was mostly 80km/h when I did it..... and mid week:devil:

Day 2: Apollo Bay - Mt Gambier
Today started with a lazy hot chocolate overlooking the bay. Followed by a pleasant chat with my neighbor in the motel, an older gentleman who has been travelling the other way. Nice to hear his experiences and listen to him reminisce about his younger days riding.

Back on the bike, the road snakes it's way inland for a while cutting across otway. Making its way through forest and pastoral land. The changes in incline are reduced from yesterday's riding. However it still full of open corners with only short straights. Prefering to hug the natural terrain rather then cut a straight path. It felt like I had been shrunk and was exploring the landscape surrounding a miniture train display.

Sunshine and a cool breeze have been my greetings from the heavens today. Maintaining a cool tempreture throughout my time in the elements
The highlight of the day is undoubtedly the twelve apostles. As I walked down the path and caught a glimps of the sight, I couldn't help but softly utter a "wow" to myself. It's quite an awe inspiring view, pictures fail to capture it's presence. It has quite the aura.

After lunch at Port Campbell it was time to complete the great ocean road. The road once again turns inland. Only this time it doesn't return. The rest of the day was spent cruising at speed following the highway, stopping to refuel at warnembol on my way through to Mt Gambier. The view wasnt anything special compared to the great ocean road. But a sea of green farmland. Ocasionaly broken up by a glimpse of ocean on the horizon. The constant surroundings lulled me into a zen like state. Where all my mind is doing is processing the information from my scences. Until the fatigue sets. With my body (and fuel guage) telling me its time to call it a day and rest for an evening

12038237_10204808701208313_3203851436910283550_n.jpg

12039465_10204808703608373_4428376519227481953_n.jpg

12088511_10204808702888355_1112363312676774999_n.jpg

10933719_10204808706888455_3920054852981223075_n.jpg

12065690_10204808707768477_1440694479889312877_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sir Francis

Displaced person
I'm old enough to remember when the limit was 60mph. It 'twas fun then, and now, even despite the aforementioned constraints.

Was that back when you guys used to stuff dried grass into your tyres because inner tubes had yet to be invented.......:cdle

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Was that back when you guys used to stuff dried grass into your tyres because inner tubes had yet to be invented.......:cdle

Nah, that was back in the days before smartphones were invented. You could travel on the Great Ocean Road at 60mph without someone wandering over to the wrong side of the road while they were reading a Facebook message.

spenaroo

Just through the door
Nah, that was back in the days before smartphones were invented. You could travel on the Great Ocean Road at 60mph without someone wandering over to the wrong side of the road while they were reading a Facebook message.

yeah,
instead you had to pull over and adjust points, replace the castor oil that had leaked out the cases and replace a throttle cable :bs

Top Bottom