Thursday.

nev

Super Térrarist
A couple of photos I took on Thursday. I had to head to Canberra for a funeral and decided to take the bike not the car.

Thursday morning was a bit drizzling, and low cloud all the way out through the Yarra Ranges, and Noojee. The roads dried up once I hit the Gippsland Plains. Fuel in Bairnsdale and a salad roll in Bruthen, the up to Buchan. My first trip through Buchan since the old pub burned down almost 4 years ago.

IMG_0436.JPG

From there up the road to Seldom Seen. It's already been over 5 years since the old bloke in the shop / junkyard died. The shop has been removed and only the slab remains, and all of the junk has been cleared away, the public phone is all that remains.

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Pretty soon the road hits the Snowy River valley

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

A break at the Suggan Buggan Schoolhouse

IMG_0443.JPG

All the way along the road i'd been following another set of motorcycle tracks. At the George Craigie lookout I caught up with them

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

It was at the lookout here that i noticed fork oil dripping off my left fork. the fork and brake caliper were coated in a thick coat of oil and my left boot was nice and shiny as a result of the wind spraying the oil. I had hit a couple of potholes along the unsealed section of the Barry Way, and I suspect that a bit too much action along the dirt had blown the seal.

I stopped for the night at the Berridale pub which has a few motel rooms out back. Not bad accommodation and pretty good food.

IMG_20171102_181513.jpg

My original plan was to leave Canberra and head via Wee Jasper and the Snowy Mountains again back home, but given the state of my fork, I decided that I'd just stick to the route with the fewest bumps and twists and turns, to give it the best chance of getting home without too much affect to the bike's handling. An overnight stop in Gundagai and an early morning start on Saturday and I was home before lunch.

Given how much oil had been coating the fork even immediately after I'd wiped it clean, I was very surprised that there was still any fork oil in it when I arrived home, and I detoured the last couple of km to pop past the local bike shop and book it in for some attention next week.

It was only when I got home and opened the garage and pushed the bike into it's normal spot that I discovered an oil patch on the floor under the fork leg... seems it had already been leaking prior to this trip. I had the bike out for a long ride the weekend prior, and travelled a few potholed sealed and unsealed roads in western Victoria that day too.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.... Seldom Seen. It's already been over 5 years since the old bloke in the shop / junkyard died. The shop has been removed and only the slab remains, and all of the junk has been cleared away, the public phone is all that remains.

I'll miss the place, there are some great memories of stinking hot summer days, a silver beer barrel in the boiling sun as a leftover from a piss-up the night before and a busted Camelbak bladder earlier that day.

Still can't tell if the dregs in that barrel were frothing because of being the dregs...or because of the day in the sun.
Had an almighty kick, though....after the 3. coffee-mug of the stuff I can't even remember any of the bends of the Barry Way to Jindy that arvo W-):bs

Bummer about that forkseal :-(

Top Bottom